Would like advice for 1st timer

Hi all,

We are going on our first cruise. RC- Monarch of the Seas April 14th for 3 nights. We are very excited. I'd love to get any advice from all those veterans on this great site. We are bringing our 12 year old daughter, and 9 month old as well. We'll be going out of L.A. and going to Ensenada, and back to L.A.

Any tips on maximizing the experience would be great. We have no idea what to expect. We are dining late. On wait list for an earlier time. My older girl will want to mingle with the other kids in the activities offered. The little one will be with us and some daycare when we do some adult-type stuff.

So please load me up with any advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate anything you can offer.

Dave

Hi all,

We are going on our first cruise. RC- Monarch of the Seas April 14th for 3 nights. We are very excited. I'd love to get any advice from all those veterans on this great site. We are bringing our 12 year old daughter, and 9 month old as well. We'll be going out of L.A. and going to Ensenada, and back to L.A.

Any tips on maximizing the experience would be great. We have no idea what to expect. We are dining late. On wait list for an earlier time. My older girl will want to mingle with the other kids in the activities offered. The little one will be with us and some daycare when we do some adult-type stuff.

So please load me up with any advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate anything you can offer.

Dave

http://http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepx5q3/ is a tips and tricks list compiled from a huge thread on the same topic. Very good suggestions.

http://http://www.geocities.com/Calgon1/Ultimate_Packing_List.html is a suggested packing list that is very informative.

http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=294633 is the sticky faq at the top of the RCL thread listings.

All very good information and you don't have to reinvent the wheel. Have a wonderful time.

Wraithe

I'm getting ready to go on my first cruise also. I have been reading on this forum for a long time and I have been convinced not to take children under 2 yrs of age because it won't really be a "vacation". I have small children also. We travel alot, by car and airplane, and we have always taken our kids. For the first time we are getting a babysitter for our cruise. If that's not an option for you, then I understand. I would seriously consider a babysitter for the baby, especially since it's just 3 nights. I think you will really enjoy it that way, and besides, the baby doesn't care about a cruise! We are paying a friend to watch ours. Either way, just read more on this site and you will know everything you to need to know.

Sorry to get to you like I did, cruisinmama. What kind of activities have you done on the cruises with your kids? As I said I've never been and all I have heard is not to take small children. My youngest is now 5 and I may want to take him on the next one. But, I do not think I would want to take them to the onboard daycare. Are cruises kid-friendly?

wework2play cruises are very kid friendly for the age of your child. When you go on your cruise check out the kids areas. We usually don't take ours but that is more for us to get a break then because the cruise is not kid friendly.

Flips

I'm getting ready to go on my first cruise also. I have been reading on this forum for a long time and I have been convinced not to take children under 2 yrs of age because it won't really be a "vacation". I have small children also. We travel alot, by car and airplane, and we have always taken our kids. For the first time we are getting a babysitter for our cruise. If that's not an option for you, then I understand. I would seriously consider a babysitter for the baby, especially since it's just 3 nights. I think you will really enjoy it that way, and besides, the baby doesn't care about a cruise! We are paying a friend to watch ours. Either way, just read more on this site and you will know everything you to need to know.

It's SOOOO nice doing my chartered cruises. No kids (no one under 18 permitted)!!!!

How did this become yet another "kids don't belong on cruises" thread?:eek: The OP stated that she was taking her kids with her. She didn't ask whether she should.

Cubphandave, I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise with your family. You will find a lot of information using the links that Wraithe posted. If you still have questions, please post them. There are nice people here who will do all they can to give you the answers. Have a great cruise!:)

How did this become yet another "kids don't belong on cruises" thread?:eek: The OP stated that she was taking her kids with her. She didn't ask whether she should.

Cubphandave, I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise with your family. You will find a lot of information using the links that Wraithe posted. If you still have questions, please post them. There are nice people here who will do all they can to give you the answers. Have a great cruise!:)

This is a forum! A forum is for people to share ideas, thoughts, and opinions. I did not see anywhere that "cruises are not for kids". Yeah, she stated she was taking her kids and asked for advice. If no opinions were wanted, why would she have asked?? Hmmmmm....... I have learned from this thread that some cruises are better for kids than others. However, I do not think I will be taking my kids until they are teenagers.

But that's because I don't want to spend all day everyday at the pool, which is what my kids would want. We have a pool. That's just me. An earlier thread stated that this is a "family forum here at cruise critic". I don't know what that was supposed to mean, but it was rude. I am very much a family person, and what does that have to do with cruise critic again?? Yes, there are lots of nice people here at cruise critic. Cubphandave, I agree that you will have a great time, I hope my opinion didn't bother you, that was not what I intended. I am a career woman and super mom and am ready for my week away. First one ever:)!

Sorry to get to you like I did, cruisinmama. What kind of activities have you done on the cruises with your kids? As I said I've never been and all I have heard is not to take small children. My youngest is now 5 and I may want to take him on the next one. But, I do not think I would want to take them to the onboard daycare. Are cruises kid-friendly?

Believe me, I didn't spend my time "sitting by the pool" because I had my children with me. As soon as my oldest turned 2, she was off to the kids adventure clubs (On NCL and CCL, they accept 2 year olds).

When my oldest was 4 (on Disney), I had to PRY her out of the kids club at 1am (I am not kidding). And this is a girl that goes to bed at 7pm, yet, I had to get her to leave the kids club so I could get some sleep. She enjoyed it THAT much.

Now my "baby" will be 3 by the time we sail FOS. I booked the cruise to celebrate her 3rd birthday, she will be 3 only two days before we leave. So now I will have one child in the 6-8 year old adventure club and the baby in the 3-5 year old club.

The kids clubs are WONDERFUL. They are really so much fun for the kids. If they weren't then my daughter would never want to stay in them.

And I can honestly say that yes, most cruises are kid friendly. As long as you have well behaved kids...lol.

I am wanting to know more about the kids clubs. Sounds like you have used them and could tell me more about them. I don't like the idea of going on a big ship, and dropping my kids off to complete strangers with no way for them to contact me. Do they have a way to contact you? And what activities do they do with the kids? Are the kids divided by age? I have three ranging from 5 to 11. I think they would want to be together. Are the people running it educated or experienced with kids or just someone they appointed to watch the kids? I'm pretty picky when it comes to my kids. Maybe you could pursuade me.......give it a try. Also, (a biggie), what room would be the best value and big enough for a family with kids? How do you make enough room? 2 rooms?

Check out Adventure Ocean on the RCI website. They have groupings according to age with loads of age appropriate activities and the counsellors are well qualified. The Adventure Ocean counsellors "each hold a four year degree in education, recreation or a related major from an accredited college or university. All are certified in CPR. Staff members have an extensive background in working with large groups of children ages 3-17 and from three to five years experience in working in team situations."

RCI has also added a speial program for parents with children from 6 months to 3 years.

Our grandkids will be 4-7 when we sail with them on Freedom next October. Parents receive pagers when they drop their younger (non-teen) kids off at the program.

I am wanting to know more about the kids clubs. Sounds like you have used them and could tell me more about them. I don't like the idea of going on a big ship, and dropping my kids off to complete strangers with no way for them to contact me. Do they have a way to contact you? And what activities do they do with the kids? Are the kids divided by age? I have three ranging from 5 to 11. I think they would want to be together. Are the people running it educated or experienced with kids or just someone they appointed to watch the kids? I'm pretty picky when it comes to my kids. Maybe you could pursuade me.......give it a try. Also, (a biggie), what room would be the best value and big enough for a family with kids? How do you make enough room? 2 rooms?

The ages are listed here...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/experiencetype/home.do;jsessionid=0000HRpAqvWvWyr-TrcnPZSoSsl:10ktdmm42?br=R&exTypeCode=8

And Bill pretty much summed it up. The counselors are wonderful. The kids are not allowed to leave the kids club without being signed out by you, with ID, and sometimes passwords (as was on the Disney ship). You do receive pagers for the younger kids. They just beep you when you're needed or your child wants to leave the club. I've been told that parents with older kids just use walkie talkies.

All of the day's kids club activities are listed in a Cruise Compass and Daily Planner. I would sit down with my kids every night and ask them which activities they would like to be apart of the following day.

The trend in cruising is obviously catering to include more families with children, have you seen the H2O zone on the Freedom of the Seas? Not to mention the ice skating rink.

As far as rooms, we always book suites. On FOS, we have a Grand Suite. We never stay in anything less than a junior suite. And on the FOS they have family suites now that can accomodate everyone.

I am as "picky" as you. I would never leave my children with just anyone. Which is why I could never leave them at home while we are off cruising. I completly trust the camp couselors on the ships we have used.

We just did the Monarch Feb. 13th, my kids, 7,7,11,and 15 loved it. They split the kids up 6-8,9-11, 12-14, and 15-17.

My kids (the 7 year olds and the 11year old) were together a lot, as sometimes they combined the 6-8 and 9-11. They played gaga ball (it's like dodgeball) musical chairs, had scavenger hunts, made bandana's, made pillow cases, etc...We hardly saw them! They came home with prizes, and medals for games. I can't tell you how much fun they had. At the last night at dinner we asked the kids what they wanted to do next year for a vacation, Disneyland or another cruise. They all said another cruise. Even my 15 year old son (who is painfully shy) had a blast!! The only complaint was that it was not long enough. So next year we are doing a 7 day on the Vision.

Archived