What to do in Maloy, Norway

One of our ports for MSC cruise of the Norwegian Fjords at the beginning of May has been changed to Maloy. I've trawled the Internet but can find very little information.  Has anyone experience of this port and what to do at it and can anyone advise re possible excursions? Unfortunately even MSC don't have any excursions up yet for this port!

2022 is the first year for Måløy as a cruise port.  And you are probably one of the first ships in port. 

I have not seen what excursions they are planning, but there are very scenic nature in the area. 

Things to see nearby are Selja monastery, Kraakenes lighthouse, Stad peninsula. 

• 2 months later...

Iinternet  searched "port of Maloy" andamonmgst other results,  up popped a description from the Hurtigruten UK website.(Norway ports)

Wary of copyright,and CC rules which mean copy/paste cannot be used,  I suggest you do the same and read what it says.

Briefly, one of the biggest facilities in Norway  for processing and exporting  fish, also has lighthouses and a famous Rock shaped like a  mushroom.

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 months later...

Does anyone already have some experiences with the excursions in Maloy, including the pricing of the excursions. I've found a list of possible excursions, but I can't find any information regarding the pricing of those excursions.  

We are thinking to take a cruise (first time) for our honeymoon in September 2023 to the fjords of Norway and the itinerary that we have in mind has port days in Maloy, Nordfjordeid en Flam. For Nordfjordeid and Flam there is enough information online. But I can't find information about pricing of the excursions around Maloy. And we would like to make a budget for the total costs of the cruise (as we also have to pay for the wedding itself as well). 

Any information would be welcome. Thanks.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 9:23 PM, sannevandervis said:

Does anyone already have some experiences with the excursions in Maloy, including the pricing of the excursions. I've found a list of possible excursions, but I can't find any information regarding the pricing of those excursions.  

We are thinking to take a cruise (first time) for our honeymoon in September 2023 to the fjords of Norway and the itinerary that we have in mind has port days in Maloy, Nordfjordeid en Flam. For Nordfjordeid and Flam there is enough information online. But I can't find information about pricing of the excursions around Maloy. And we would like to make a budget for the total costs of the cruise (as we also have to pay for the wedding itself as well). 

Any information would be welcome. Thanks.  

From the MSC excursions page for Malory for Sep this year:

Hike Mount Veten (£42 pp) 3.5 hours - strenuous hike

Rib adventure and amazing views from the sea (£127 pp) 2 hours

Deer farm natural wonders (£107 pp) 2 hours - see the deer, feed them etc

Explore the west cape (£76 pp) 4.5 hours - scenic drive seeing natural sites

This is all I can see, there may be more that are booked up. It gives you an idea of the costs hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 5:57 AM, chrisdoc365 said:

Did you find anything to do in Maloy?

We were there in June of this year and there is absolutely nothing to do in the port.  According to many websites it rains 300 days a year and it was rainy and foggy on the day we were there.  The ship will have some excursions, but they are mediocre at best and if the weather is bad they can be dangerous.  We will never go to Maloy again.  It was the last port on a 14 day cruise and the memory of this port is not good. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...