Gondola at Icy Strait Point?

AryMay

I think I read that there is a new gondola at Icy Strait Point, but can't find any information about it. We will be stopping at ISP on our HAL cruise and probably won't go on any excursion this time since we are only in port in the evening. I thought the gondola might be something we could do.

I think you may be thinking of the native canoe experience offered by Hoonah Travel Adventures. We did it last summer and it was the best excursion. It is run by Hoonah natives and offers an authentic glimpse into their culture and traditions. I would highly recommend!! Here is the link;

https://hoonahtraveladventures.com/adventures/tlingit-canoe-culture-experience/

Edited by karatemom2

They actually have a gondola. We went on it when we were there in the Alaska restart in Sept 2021. They cut a path through the trees. It starts pretty much right where you get off the pier.

The first leg takes you through some forest area, over the obstacle coarse which is another excursion, up to a trading post/tourist trap.LOL...Also, there is another pier were it drops you(belongs to another cruise line)😃But that was why we were there, to spend some and help the local economy.

It was a nice ride. We got in there at dusk...It was the perfect thing to do with the time we had. Shortly after it was too dark to do anything away from the buildings.

They were working on the second leg at the time. Not sure the status of that. It was going from where the first leg dropped you and was going higher up the side of the mountain. That looked like it would be very interesting. Nice easy excursion to get some great views and help the locals out.

Because they were just getting it going, it was free to us at the time.

7 minutes ago, triiip42 said:

They actually have a gondola. We went on it when we were there in the Alaska restart in Sept 2021. They cut a path through the trees. It starts pretty much right where you get off the pier.

The first leg takes you through some forest area, over the obstacle coarse which is another excursion, up to a trading post/tourist trap.LOL...Also, there is another pier were it drops you(belongs to another cruise line)😃But that was why we were there, to spend some and help the local economy.

We were in ISP two times in September and there certainly is a gondola.  Due to weather conditions it ceased operations early the first port call and wasn't operating at all the second (the weather was so bad the ship cut short the port call and we left several hours early).  So clearly we didn't take it, but am curious about the comment regarding "trading post/tourist trap.LOL."  And since the HunaTotem corporation owns ISP what another pier is owned by another cruise line?

The NA docked at the "main' pier(Hoonah cruise ship dock) at the Adventure Center..walk off this dock into the Adventure Center(Gondola starts here). Keep walking thru here and eventually you get to the historic cannery area with, nice museum, shops, restaurant, etc. ......back to the dock; Way to the left of that dock is the "Wilderness Landing Cruise Ship Dock". Very new and nice... I used the wrong terminology for it. My understanding at the time(and that could be incorrect), is that it was "built" by another line. So whatever the correct terminology is....If I have misspoken, please feel free to correct me.....   

The Wilderness Landing area is where the 1st leg of the gondola ride drops you. There is/was one building(shop) there that is(was) full of t-shirts, sweatshirts, cups, caps, bottles, hats, books, gifts, etc(actually very nice quality)  stuff for sale. Thus my light hearted comment.

This  area is right by the Wilderness Landing  Dock and where the 2nd leg of the gondola starts.

The Wilderness Landing Terminal was built by Huna Totem Corp for use by Norwegian Cruise Line.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/High-speed-gondola-planned-to-transport-NCL-cruisers-at-Icy-Strait-Point

The mountain gondola section will also take people to the Zip Rider, new hiking trails, scenic views and more.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/icy-strait-point-port-2091

• Like 1

They had this on their Facebook page: 

We've been getting a lot of questions about Mountain Top Gondola Tickets!

To book your mountain top gondola tickets, you can reach out to your favorite cruise line AFTER April 1st!

Additionally, you can book Gondola Tickets on the day of arrival for $49.95 per person! Gondola Tickets are for unlimited rides and also include our Tribal Dance Show, which is not to be missed.

The World’s Largest ZipRider and Mountain Top Forest Tram tours include gondola tickets for unlimited rides.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKStafford said:

They had this on their Facebook page: 

We've been getting a lot of questions about Mountain Top Gondola Tickets!

To book your mountain top gondola tickets, you can reach out to your favorite cruise line AFTER April 1st!

Additionally, you can book Gondola Tickets on the day of arrival for $49.95 per person! Gondola Tickets are for unlimited rides and also include our Tribal Dance Show, which is not to be missed.

The World’s Largest ZipRider and Mountain Top Forest Tram tours include gondola tickets for unlimited rides.

Thanks for sharing this. I checked out their Facebook page and also saw this response to a question about what to do at the top:

We will have the Mountain Top Forest Tram tour, the Alice Meadow loop, a viewing platform and a delicious food truck! The views alone are worth seeing!

Also another response about booking:

You will be able to book gondola tickets on the day of your arrival! If you book any mountain top tour, like the World's Largest ZipRider or Mountain Top Forest tram, mountain top gondola tickets will be included. 

• Like 3