Question about Alaska Excursion and food

HermmyGranger

If you book an excursion that includes lunch, but because of dietary issues, you can't eat that lunch, can you arrange to take a "sack lunch" in advance from the ship? We are taking the Yukon excursion in Alaska, but my understanding is that they provide a BBQ chicken lunch. One of our party is a vegetarian, so I'm concerned about an eighth-hour trip with no food.

It is my understanding that the only food that's allowed off the ship is those items that are prepackaged such as granola bars. On excursions we've been on, that lunch was included, a vegetarian option was offered. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HermmyGranger said:

If you book an excursion that includes lunch, but because of dietary issues, you can't eat that lunch, can you arrange to take a "sack lunch" in advance from the ship? We are taking the Yukon excursion in Alaska, but my understanding is that they provide a BBQ chicken lunch. One of our party is a vegetarian, so I'm concerned about an eighth-hour trip with no food.

I have yet to be on an excursion that included food that DIDN'T have vegetarian options.  On any cruise line.

• Like 1

No, you will not be able to take a sack lunch off the ship,. If this is the excursion that goes to Caribou Crossing Trading , I don’t remember any option other than the chicken. Also, this excursion crosses the border, so another reason no food off ship would be allowed. 

39 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

No, you will not be able to take a sack lunch off the ship,. If this is the excursion that goes to Caribou Crossing Trading , I don’t remember any option other than the chicken. Also, this excursion crosses the border, so another reason no food off ship would be allowed. 

Do you remember if they have other food options available for purchase? Their Facebook page (Caribou Crossing) seems to show they offer pizza now (as of last summer). I don't even care if I have to pay, I am just trying to figure out how to feed my kid on such a long excursion.

4 minutes ago, HermmyGranger said:

Do you remember if they have other food options available for purchase? Their Facebook page (Caribou Crossing) seems to show they offer pizza now (as of last summer). I don't even care if I have to pay, I am just trying to figure out how to feed my kid on such a long excursion.

Sorry, I don’t remember, you may want to call HAL Shore ex to see if they have more information.

• Like 1

Per HAL excursion website booking page, if this is the "Experience The Yukon & Suspension Bridge" excursion (8.25 hours), a vegetarian lunch is available.  Notify shore excursions staff at least 24 hours prior to the tour.   See notes section at bottom of excursion description.

• Like 1

If it's Caribou Crossing (it should be since bbq chicken is the other option), this is their standard vegetarian menu:

Dahl vegetarian soup, baked potato, cole slaw, sourdough rolls,  cake doughnuts, coffee or tea

Edited by trueeden
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1