European testing requirements released - 1 day before embarkation (not for sailings out of UK)

Coral

This is on another thread but I thought it was worth posting separately as some will miss it:

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/eu-cruises/

For cruises departing from Athens, Barcelona or Rome on Regal Princess® from March 26 and from Copenhagen or Rome on Enchanted Princess® and Island Princess®

Based on current European Union Healthy Gateways (EUHG) guidelines, to board the ship all guests age 5 and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 1 day of embarkation. These protocols are subject to change and we’ll communicate any updates as they become available.

When possible we recommend guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation. We understand that this may not be possible based on your travel plans, so for your convenience will also offer antigen testing at the terminal. For those that wish to take advantage of this option, a nominal fee will apply as a stateroom folio charge.

Edited by Coral

This makes no sense to me as Italy as dropped their requirements (I am embarking in Italy).

I can see 2-3 days but 1 day is unreasonable. I have to leave for the airport at 4 am. I purposely am flying in the day of thinking the testing requirements would be 2-3 days before. Even the rep on the phone said it would be 2-3 days to give people time to travel.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mikel1733 said:

One day before sounds crazy.  I wonder what a nominal charge might be?    

Unless it’s $25 or less USD, we will stick to one of their testing sites which cap out at 22 euros. 

I thought I had read somewhere on the website that it was $100pp…which seems wildly inappropriate. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coral said:

This makes no sense to me as Italy as dropped their requirements (I am embarking in Italy).

I can see 2-3 days but 1 day is unreasonable. I have to leave for the airport at 4 am. I purposely am flying in the day of thinking the testing requirements would be 2-3 days before. Even the rep on the phone said it would be 2-3 days to give people time to travel.

Not totally sure but I think this is to do with Princess and maybe not Italy ! Maybe someone else might know more . We are flying in day of cruise from the U.K. so are being tested the day before . 

3 hours ago, triona said:

Not totally sure but I think this is to do with Princess and maybe not Italy ! Maybe someone else might know more . We are flying in day of cruise from the U.K. so are being tested the day before . 

I actually don't know either. I hope it changes in 2 weeks. Glad this will work out for you. I really wish they had released this information sooner. There are people cruising in one week that this affects.

Last year they tested those in Southampton free and they are testing those on B2B cruises free. I am curious what the "nominal fee" is.

Edited by Coral

Sailing out of Athens April 9th.  We are planning on getting tested at embarkation, which seems easier than getting it done the day before flying (more rushed).  Hopefully less than $100 each.

2nd part is very interesting "If a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, subject to availability, Princess will cover the costs of any COVID-19 test administered on board within the timeframe required prior to travel. Please note that if your travel plans go beyond the validity of the onboard test, you are responsible for securing and paying for your own test"

We are reading this as "You can test on the ship the day before you disembark, with a test administered by Princess".  We are headed directly off ship back to USA (Barcelona).  Does anyone else read it differently?

• Like 1

Let ‘S try and get a cost of these Princess Covid tests. When I booked, princess published no cost in UK, no cost post cruise other places. 
yes, change happens, But, when we find $350 extra on account after disembarking, no explanation,  and have to guess if test costs $25-$100 more per person. Makes me want to say forget it Princess 

8 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Just a note:

You can travel with the Emed tests and use your smart phone/tablet for the proctored portion. 

If you have internet & don’t mess up test 

1 hour ago, dog said:

If you have internet & don’t mess up test 

Those things can be worked out ahead of time and you can bring back up. 
If the cost is an issue people can find a way to make this a viable option. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Those things can be worked out ahead of time and you can bring back up. 
If the cost is an issue people can find a way to make this a viable option. 

True, but if you fly in day of cruise, over night flight there can be issues. I had a Lot of trouble finding testing locations in rural area in Uk as others have mentioned 

3 hours ago, dog said:

Let ‘S try and get a cost of these Princess Covid tests. When I booked, princess published no cost in UK, no cost post cruise other places. 
yes, change happens, But, when we find $350 extra on account after disembarking, no explanation,  and have to guess if test costs $25-$100 more per person. Makes me want to say forget it Princess 

Not sure why you quoted $350. That was just total speculation and is just wrong !

What I don't understand is the illogical standards applied by Princess.

As a double vaccinated individual,  plus having had a booster jab, I need to show a negative test result within 72 hours of boarding in Southampton. No problem with that.  

But, when I board in Barcelona,  as I will be in May, I only have 24 hours within which to produce a negative test. Just why ?

Totally illogical and designed to cause anxiety and stress to everyone flying into Barcelona (or Rome or Athens ) for no reason whatsoever. 

21 hours ago, karabear15 said:

Unless it’s $25 or less USD, we will stick to one of their testing sites which cap out at 22 euros. 

I thought I had read somewhere on the website that it was $100pp…which seems wildly inappropriate. 

$100 is what Princess charges per person if you get tested at the Pier before getting on the ship... talking to Princess now and will let you know if they suggest other options.

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Coral…hopefully everything goes smoothly & you have a great cruise! 🤞😃

Buon Viaggio! 🚢🎉

I have had so many obstacles on the booking of this cruise - probably spent 10+ hours on the phone trying to straighten it out. It will either be amazing (itinerary is amazing) or a disaster. Time will tell! Just hoping I don't get COVID. I think I can tackle everything else.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have had so many obstacles on the booking of this cruise - probably spent 10+ hours on the phone trying to straighten it out. It will either be amazing (itinerary is amazing) or a disaster. Time will tell! Just hoping I don't get COVID. I think I can tackle everything else.

Thankfully my app issues have not been as severe as yours but it’s taken away the joy of preparing for a cruise. I’m hoping that our cruise sailing soon will be good & that it will help to put the pre-cruise difficulties in the rear view mirror…hopefully for you also. 🤞

1 hour ago, Billish said:

Not sure why you quoted $350. That was just total speculation and is just wrong !

$350 was what member in another thread said his credit card charged after he disembarked, correct?r

He does not know what this charge is for,

right?

I am not speculating about anything, as you seem to be. 
It is unreasonable for Princess to go from no charge testing for Covid, as published when I booked cruise for March 28/22 to a nominal fee, at this late date. Tell us what fee is. 
is that clear?

Edited by dog