Where should we stay: Dania Beach or North Fort Lauderdale?

micmacmissy

We usually like staying around 17th street so we can walk around a little.  But there are VERY limited options for our spring break cruise.  Have no idea about either of these areas or hotels...can anyone help?

Le Meridien Dania Beach (near airport)

Residence Inn Il Lugano on the Intercoastal (looks very far north)

Thanks for any help!

2 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

We usually like staying around 17th street so we can walk around a little.  But there are VERY limited options for our spring break cruise.  Have no idea about either of these areas or hotels...can anyone help?

Le Meridien Dania Beach (near airport)

Residence Inn Il Lugano on the Intercoastal (looks very far north)

Thanks for any help!

We have stayed in Dania Beach in the past when, as you point out, the 17th St strip is way overpriced and oversold. It's only a bit farther from PE, so still an easy taxi or Uber ride (Sorry, don't remember whether our Hyatt had a cruise port shuttle). Restaurants in the area were OK. FWIW, when we sail during the periods when the 17th St hotels are out of range, our fall back has become Plantation, due west down the 595. It's farther out than Dania Beach, but very well supplied with hotels, restaurants and shopping. At least one of the hotels had both airport AND criuse port shuttles available as well.  The hotels in Plantation are usually much cheaper than the 17th St hotels in peak season which is why we started staying there.

• Like 2

Cypress Creek Road off I-95 have several hotels that are very good to excellent and have rates (usually) that are reasonable.  A full service Marriott (surprisingly) is often the best with free parking in an attached garage.  There are also a Sheraton Suites, a Courtyard, and a Westin.  It's easy off I-95 and easy on the next morning to drive to the Port.  How far of a drive to the Port?  20-30 minutes, depending on traffic.  

Don't know what time you are arriving the day before but if you have a full day,  the town Lauderdale By The Sea is just north of Fort Lauderdale and is an awesome little town with walkable restaurants and shops. We stay at a place called High Noon resort and absolutely love it. It is a boutique hotel right on the beach. There are several just like it along El Mar drive but we loooove that place

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Magoo69 said:

the town Lauderdale By The Sea is just north of Fort Lauderdale and is an awesome little town with walkable restaurants and shops

YES!  Agree.  There is a very good restaurant there that I have enjoyed in the past.  Sorry, but, it's name escapes me.  

On 3/22/2022 at 4:32 PM, Magoo69 said:

Aruba Cafe might be the one you are thinking of. It is very popular on the Beach restaurant

My hard drive kicked in--finally--(don't have the solid state version between my ears) and the restaurant that I was thinking of is Sea Watch.  Aruba Beach Cafe was one that I had investigated before getting to Fort Lauderdale, but, Sea Watch appealed more to me based on what I learned.  I was not disappointed.