Thoughts on Hawaii Inter-island Cruise?

4thgrade

On 3/23/2022 at 9:10 AM, Travelling2Some said:

This is what we did and would totally recommend it.  We spent a few days before the cruise on Oahu in a little cottage up on the north shore.  Ideally we would have loved to return to Maui for an extra few days following the cruise but that was before retirement so we hadn't the time.  Rent a convertible and do the Road to Hana:)

I rented a convertible camaro for 4 months here last winter so I feel like I should offer my different opinion to maybe save readers some cash. 

The convertible is WIDE, or at least it seems extra wide to me. Because I sat so low to the ground and the hood was so long (and wide), I had issues with sight lines. I did the Road to Hana once in the convertible last year and was uncomfortable due to the wideness of the vehicle and poor site lines on the narrow winding road. I felt unsafe. Not to mention parking; the spots here are more narrow than the mainland and unless you get a free upgrade the Camaro is going to be double a standard car rate. 

This year I have a crossover SUV and have driven the road to Hana 9 times. Enjoyed it tremendously each time. Not to mention my passengers enjoyed the extra room. Because the car is more narrow, the hairpin turns were significantly easier to navigate and I could scoot in parking spots along RTH that I couldn't have made in the convertible.  

Don't get me wrong, crossing the Pali in the convertible was super fun and tooling around with the top down every day because the weather is just incredible was a joy; but in retrospect, I found the car very impractical for the Road to Hana trip. Don't get me wrong, lots of people navigate RTH in the convertible, but if you are looking to save a little bit of money, IMO the best (and safest) car for the RTH is something smaller. 

Now if you are looking to drive around the island for a day (and skip Road to Hana), Maui is probably the best place on this planet to rent a convertible :).

No disrespect intended toward @Travelling2Some 🙂

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I rented a convertible camaro for 4 months here last winter so I feel like I should offer my different opinion to maybe save readers some cash. 

The convertible is WIDE, or at least it seems extra wide to me. Because I sat so low to the ground and the hood was so long (and wide), I had issues with sight lines. I did the Road to Hana once in the convertible last year and was uncomfortable due to the wideness of the vehicle and poor site lines on the narrow winding road. I felt unsafe. Not to mention parking; the spots here are more narrow than the mainland and unless you get a free upgrade the Camaro is going to be double a standard car rate. 

This year I have a crossover SUV and have driven the road to Hana 9 times. Enjoyed it tremendously each time. Not to mention my passengers enjoyed the extra room. Because the car is more narrow, the hairpin turns were significantly easier to navigate and I could scoot in parking spots along RTH that I couldn't have made in the convertible.  

Don't get me wrong, crossing the Pali in the convertible was super fun and tooling around with the top down every day because the weather is just incredible was a joy; but in retrospect, I found the car very impractical for the Road to Hana trip. Don't get me wrong, lots of people navigate RTH in the convertible, but if you are looking to save a little bit of money, IMO the best (and safest) car for the RTH is something smaller. 

Now if you are looking to drive around the island for a day (and skip Road to Hana), Maui is probably the best place on this planet to rent a convertible :).

No disrespect intended toward @Travelling2Some 🙂

I was curious since I don't remember the car being any problem and we also took the even crazier road on the other side of Maui out by the Oliveine Pools and that lady who sold banana bread from a school bus. Just found a picture from that trip and the car we rented for Maui was not a Camaro.  However, you make a very good point that car rental prices have skyrocketed in Hawaii recently.  Years ago Hawaii actually had some of the least expensive rates in the US.

Edited by Travelling2Some
add info
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

It was 15 years ago so I don't remember the contact info although it was a local rental agency (pre Air B&B!).  It was directly on the beach known as the Pipeline and the distinctive thing about it was that it was decorated in a Christmas motif year round.  It might have been called the Christmas Cottage but not sure on the name. 

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

In a convertible will be like almost being at the beach - care with exposure to the sun -

sun block - sun screen - you could get more than a sun tan on the left arm !  LOL !

Not on the actual Road to Hana. It's mostly thru a jungle and is 90% shade. However; anywhere else on the island and you absolutely must wear a hat. For both head protection and glare. And reef safe sunscreen. And please please please no spray sunscreen anywhere. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I was curious since I don't remember the car being any problem.  Just found a picture from that trip and the car we rented for Maui was not a Camaro.  However, you make a very good point that car rental prices have skyrocketed in Hawaii recently.  Years ago Hawaii actually had some of the least expensive rates in the US.

Everything here has skyrocketed. Think of how much mainland prices have risen and then double it for here lol.

I think I kind of sound like old complaining worry wort regarding the convertible on RTH, but it really was an issue for me that I didn't anticipate. If RTH is the number one priority, I'd give the convertible a hard pass. 

1 minute ago, Travelling2Some said:

I was curious since I don't remember the car being any problem.  Just found a picture from that trip and the car we rented for Maui was not a Camaro.  However, you make a very good point that car rental prices have skyrocketed in Hawaii recently.  Years ago Hawaii actually had some of the least expensive rates in the US.

You don't need a car with air-conditioning - just a 4 cylinder gas miser with room for your party.

Everyone - well most everyone - drives Aloha so you should consider dropping any excessive

damage deposits especially if you credit card has that included. 

The only concern about renting a car is where is the rental place located relation to the port

dock pier and the returning of same. You don't want to waste a lot of mickey mouse time

taking away from more important things.

10 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

You don't need a car with air-conditioning - just a 4 cylinder gas miser with room for your party.

Everyone - well most everyone - drives Aloha so you should consider dropping any excessive

damage deposits especially if you credit card has that included. 

The only concern about renting a car is where is the rental place located relation to the port

dock pier and the returning of same. You don't want to waste a lot of mickey mouse time

taking away from more important things.

About that convertible on the road to Haleakala - you might freeze and be out of breath at

the same time (altitude and wind-chill) !  So much for a cooling sun tan.  LOL !

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Doesn't the ship sail past one way, turn around and then sail past the other?  It's been a while....

Yes, what @GeezerCouplesaid. 😊 Plus I believe it's getting close to dinner time when the ship turns around & sailing the opposite way may be partly in the dark depending on the time of year.

17 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

Yes, what @GeezerCouplesaid. 😊 Plus I believe it's getting close to dinner time when the ship turns around & sailing the opposite way may be partly in the dark depending on the time of year.

I think that the cruise by the Na Pali coast is timed near sunset year around -

the sun reflecting off of the cliff flutes is truly an amazing photo opt that should not be missed

dinner or whatever - have your cameras cell phone your tablet ready for the moment and

yes mother nature may throw a fit and have a pineapple shower - sometimes that can be

photo worthy - for an instant replay - redo - time out you will have to book another cruise !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

I think that the cruise by the Na Pali coast is timed near sunset year around -

the sun reflecting off of the cliff flutes is truly an amazing photo opt that should not be missed

dinner or whatever - have your cameras cell phone your tablet ready for the moment and

yes mother nature may throw a fit and have a pineapple shower - sometimes that can be

photo worthy - for an instant replay - redo - time out you will have to book another cruise !

A pineapple shower sounds lovely, maybe even accompanied by a rainbow! 🍍🌈 Definitely worth missing dinner for, and any reason to book another cruise works for me.🌞🛳

We're booked on this cruise next year and really looking forward to it.  We've never been to Hawaii and felt this was a great way to get to see a little bit of each place.  Our plan is to spend a few days pre-cruise and a few days post-cruise while we're there.

• Like 2