Biodegradable Plastic Straws

coffeebean

It has been reported on the Royal Forum that Odyssey of the Seas was giving passengers 100% biodegradable plastic straws. The straws are made by Strawfish. Let's hope NCL follows suit and starts using these biodegradable plastic straws. TPTB must know those paper straws are worthless, especially when attempting to stir a fresh frozen drink. 

Edited by coffeebean

that would seem to be a contradiction in terms... biodegradable plastic straws.

you sure they are plastic?

i would think they would have to be plant-based or made of paper. 

there have been great advances in creating sturdy paper straws lately, with a strong wax coating (or whatever) that makes them stand up to the beverage and not go limp after a minute or two. one would hope NCL would start using those, but by all means, if there are biodegradable plastic straws, bring 'em on!

• Like 1

As mentioned, these aren't plastic, but they do get great reviews. The wonders of invention 🙂

Biodegradable plastic straws are also known as PLA (polylactic acid) These straws are made from plant starches and oil, typically corn. Since these straws are made from plants, most of them decompose naturally in a commercial compost facility. Hold up as well as plastic straws. Have the same feel as plastic.

https://greenliving.lovetoknow.com/Biodegradable_Drinking_Straws

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coffeebean said:

TPTB must know those paper straws are worthless, especially when attempting to stir a fresh frozen drink. 

Paper straws vary.  Some can be quite good.  My first experience with paper straws on NCL was in January 2020 on a 16-day cruise in Asia.  The quality of those straws was quite good.  They would last me 2-3 drinks (If the straw was still useable I would reuse it for my next drink).  I was back on NCL about a month ago and the paper straw quality had definitely gone down.  It got water-logged halfway through my drink.  I'm sure the crappy paper straws are cheaper than the better ones. 

I'm happy to use biodegradable "plastic" straws but just as happy to use a good quality paper straw.