Barcelona Excursion - Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, and then what?

kayjaypea42

4 hours ago, kayjaypea42 said:

Hi! We're going on the May 12th cruise from Rome.  Will you be on that sailing as well, or is yours later?  If it's later, I'll report how it went!

It's in June. Yes, definitely let me know how it goes! Yours is right around the corner. Have a great time!

On 4/19/2022 at 3:14 PM, kayjaypea42 said:

Hi! We're going on the May 12th cruise from Rome.  Will you be on that sailing as well, or is yours later?  If it's later, I'll report how it went!

No. We're on the 6/9 cruise. Yes! Definitely let me know how it goes. Enjoy!

On 3/27/2022 at 4:36 PM, Janet&Carl said:

right next to the Cathedral is a Gaudi Museum - it is fabulous and explains how the architecture came about - it makes sense of the Sagrada Familia in way that seeing the Cathedral on your own does not.  I'd give the walk down the Ramblas a miss - its not that exciting and go to the Cathedral and the Museum - they are near the port and you can walk back to the port bus from there.

We've been there before, and plan to take 'the kids' there in October.  When we visited, the 'museum' was downstairs in the church itself.  That included the amazing display of the 'inverted cathedral' that used weights for calculations since Gaudi didn't have the math skills to do it and instead dealt with it empirically.  Are you saying that has moved to an adjacent location?  Is this a new building on the same property, or on an adjacent block, or ???  Really want to be sure they see it.

5 hours ago, canderson said:

We've been there before, and plan to take 'the kids' there in October.  When we visited, the 'museum' was downstairs in the church itself.  That included the amazing display of the 'inverted cathedral' that used weights for calculations since Gaudi didn't have the math skills to do it and instead dealt with it empirically.  Are you saying that has moved to an adjacent location?  Is this a new building on the same property, or on an adjacent block, or ???  Really want to be sure they see it.

Check out the picture on post #13 the building on the left of the Cathedral with the white door is where the Gaudi museum was held last time we were there 😉 no going again until November so cant be any more specific than that but you are right it had the "inverted" cathedral.  It was a really good way of seeing how Gaudi designed it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

Check out the picture on post #13 the building on the left of the Cathedral with the white door is where the Gaudi museum was held last time we were there 😉 no going again until November so cant be any more specific than that but you are right it had the "inverted" cathedral.  It was a really good way of seeing how Gaudi designed it.

OK.  I see now.  I'm all fouled up.  You're talking Barcelona Cathedral and I'm still thinking Sagrada.  Guess they moved the exhibit from the 'basement' of Sagrada to a new location at the cathedral.  That's quite a long distance away.

2 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

Sadly it appears to have closed. I had to search for it under Gaudi Exhibition Centre as searching under Gaudi Museum the default was the Gaudi House Museum in Park Guell. I will keep checking as I am hoping it is just a temporary closure.

We had two days post cruise in Barcelona. I must give a good report on Barcelona Day Tours (info@BarcelonaDayTours.com). We took a half day car and driver tour that was exceptional. The driver gave us a good overview of the city including the olympics sites and the beach area and then focused as we requested on Gaudi sites. Not only the obvious  Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell, but a whole bunch of less well known structures around the city. Very knowledgeable guide with a host of photos on a tablet that showed interiors and before and after pictures to enhance what we could see from the street. Strong recommendation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 5:18 PM, trotzoll said:

No. We're on the 6/9 cruise. Yes! Definitely let me know how it goes. Enjoy!

Are you on the Wonder of the Seas on 6/9? So am I! First time to Barcelona. I don’t know wheee to start. Rather not do a RCCL excursion. Maybe a tour company that picks up at the cruise port? Any ideas?

On 4/27/2022 at 4:06 AM, CJANDH said:

We had two days post cruise in Barcelona. I must give a good report on Barcelona Day Tours (info@BarcelonaDayTours.com). We took a half day car and driver tour that was exceptional. The driver gave us a good overview of the city including the olympics sites and the beach area and then focused as we requested on Gaudi sites. Not only the obvious  Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell, but a whole bunch of less well known structures around the city. Very knowledgeable guide with a host of photos on a tablet that showed interiors and before and after pictures to enhance what we could see from the street. Strong recommendation. 

They have an all day tour all well that I was thinking of booking. Our ship should arrive at 5am and departs at 6pm. Do you think that I’d have enough time or did you feel that the half day tour ate up most of the time the ship was in port?

On 5/10/2022 at 6:01 PM, dleahy4444 said:

Are you on the Wonder of the Seas on 6/9? So am I! First time to Barcelona. I don’t know wheee to start. Rather not do a RCCL excursion. Maybe a tour company that picks up at the cruise port? Any ideas?

Yay! It's coming up so fast.  It's our first time to Barcelona too.

We purchased tickets to Sagrada Familia and Park Guell. We're going on their first tour in the morning and going by way of cab.  Then will likely walk around Barcelona a bit. 

Edited by trotzoll

28 minutes ago, trotzoll said:

Yay! It's coming up so fast.  It's our first time to Barcelona too.

We purchased tickets to Sagrada Familia and Park Guell. We're going on their first tour in the morning and going by way of cab.  Then will likely walk around Barcelona a bit. 

Oh did you purchase tickets to those venues on your own online or doing an organized tour? I hear cabs are plenty and not too expensive. Did you preorder the cab or you will just wave down one at the port?

18 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Oh did you purchase tickets to those venues on your own online or doing an organized tour? I hear cabs are plenty and not too expensive. Did you preorder the cab or you will just wave down one at the port?

We'll just wave one down, but I did go on their specific sites and purchase the tickets. You do have to choose a time for each venue.

9 minutes ago, trotzoll said:

We'll just wave one down, but I did go on their specific sites and purchase the tickets. You do have to choose a time for each venue.

Ok thanks. I was considering doing an organized tour through Barcelona Day Tours which people have recommended on cc but I like the idea of going in our own and being more flexible 

On 5/12/2022 at 2:49 PM, dleahy4444 said:

Ok thanks. I was considering doing an organized tour through Barcelona Day Tours which people have recommended on cc but I like the idea of going in our own and being more flexible 

Yeah, my husband and I don't want to be out all day long, so we figured we'd just do it on our own, so we can come back when we want. 

3 hours ago, trotzoll said:

Yeah, my husband and I don't want to be out all day long, so we figured we'd just do it on our own, so we can come back when we want. 

I’m traveling with my sister in law. I don’t think we are up for figuring out our way around, since we have never been there before.  So for us it is easier to go with a tour. We wound up booking the Barcelona Day tour which wasn’t crazy expensive. We are on the Wonder ( as are you) and we will DIY Palma de Majorca, but are looking for tours in  Marseille and La Spezia.  In the fall I’m doing a trip with the hubby, from Sicily to Barcelona on our own. So that will be my second time in Barcelona and will feel more comfortable doing our own thing. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 10:46 PM, dleahy4444 said:

I’m traveling with my sister in law. I don’t think we are up for figuring out our way around, since we have never been there before.  So for us it is easier to go with a tour. We wound up booking the Barcelona Day tour which wasn’t crazy expensive. We are on the Wonder ( as are you) and we will DIY Palma de Majorca, but are looking for tours in  Marseille and La Spezia.  In the fall I’m doing a trip with the hubby, from Sicily to Barcelona on our own. So that will be my second time in Barcelona and will feel more comfortable doing our own thing. 

So here is where we chatted. Sometimes I scare myself! lol

I get that. You're going to have such a great time...and two cruises...so jealous! Have a great time!

• Thanks 1