Barcelona Excursion - Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, and then what?

kayjaypea42

Hi all! So we will be in Barcelona on a Sunday as a regular excursion. (I embark in Rome.) I booked a guided tour through Sagrada Familia for their 10:30AM slot, directly after mass there.  I then plan to do Park Guell.  Do you reckon I'll have time to do much else? Would the Hop-on-Hop-Off bus make sense for me for that day?  (The ship leaves at 6:00pm) What would you recommend and how should I go about getting from Sagrada to Park Guell?  (I know that there are tours that include both, but the times wouldn't work out with mass included.)  Cab? Bus? (Regular or hop-on bus?) What other suggestions for that day do you have?  I'd be happy to hear all advice! Thanks!

HOHO bus in Barcelona is nice but if you are planning to stop at SF and PG, probably not worth it.  Taxis are probably a better option.  I would think about having a third place and checking your watch when you are done at PG to see if you could pull it off.  Options might include one of the Gaudi houses, Mont Juic, or the Gothic Quarter depending on your interest.

• Like 2

Marazul beat me to it. We did exactly that on our last visit to Barcelona. Taxi from the port to Sagrada Familia, taxi from there to Parc Guell and finally taxi from PG to Placa de Catalunya. 

From Placa de Catalunya we walked down La Rambla with diversions off to the Gothic Quarter. From the end of La Rambla walk over to the Columbus monument and then just to the right of it as you're walking you'll find the cruise port shuttle bus to take you back to the ship.

Taxis are plentiful in Barcelona and are cheap. You'll find taxis at all the main tourists sites in Barcelona.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyTheSaint said:

Marazul beat me to it. We did exactly that on our last visit to Barcelona. Taxi from the port to Sagrada Familia, taxi from there to Parc Guell and finally taxi from PG to Placa de Catalunya. 

From Placa de Catalunya we walked down La Rambla with diversions off to the Gothic Quarter. From the end of La Rambla walk over to the Columbus monument and then just to the right of it as you're walking you'll find the cruise port shuttle bus to take you back to the ship.

Taxis are plentiful in Barcelona and are cheap. You'll find taxis at all the main tourists sites in Barcelona.

^^^^ This is also exactly what I would do as well. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising

On 3/25/2022 at 1:21 PM, marazul said:

HOHO would be a waste of money.  Take a taxi to the Cathedral in the Gothic quarter or simply take a taxi to Plaza Catalunya and walk down the Ramblas.

right next to the Cathedral is a Gaudi Museum - it is fabulous and explains how the architecture came about - it makes sense of the Sagrada Familia in way that seeing the Cathedral on your own does not.  I'd give the walk down the Ramblas a miss - its not that exciting and go to the Cathedral and the Museum - they are near the port and you can walk back to the port bus from there.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

right next to the Cathedral is a Gaudi Museum - it is fabulous and explains how the architecture came about - it makes sense of the Sagrada Familia in way that seeing the Cathedral on your own does not.  I'd give the walk down the Ramblas a miss - its not that exciting and go to the Cathedral and the Museum - they are near the port and you can walk back to the port bus from there.

The Cathedral is not the Sagrada Familia. They are two different buildings with wildly different architecture and separated by centuries in time.  Yes, there is a small museum next to the Sagrada Familia and it is very interesting.  The lower level of the SF has a display and architectural models of the church.

There is also a Gaudí House museum in Park Guell.

When at the Cathedral look for the geese in the cloister.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marazul said:

The Cathedral is not the Sagrada Familia. They are two different buildings with wildly different architecture and separated by centuries in time.  Yes, there is a small museum next to the Sagrada Familia and it is very interesting.  The lower level of the SF has a display and architectural models of the church.

There is also a Gaudí House museum in Park Guell.

When at the Cathedral look for the geese in the cloister.

yes absolutely they are - the Gaudi museum is next door to the Catherdal in the Jewish quarter not next door to the Sagrada Familia.  As I said in my post they are near to the port at not at the Sagrada Familia.

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2022 at 9:06 PM, Janet&Carl said:

yes absolutely they are - the Gaudi museum is next door to the Catherdal in the Jewish quarter not next door to the Sagrada Familia.  As I said in my post they are near to the port at not at the Sagrada Familia.

Well, you got me.  I even asked a friend who lived in Barcelona for a couple of years and they never saw it.  So, I will check it out next time.

• Like 1

I have never been into architecture but Sagrada Familia took my breath away.  Simply one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life.  We did a day tour and visit Montserrat and Park Guell.  I was fascinated by Gaudi's architecture - even purchased two books about his works.  May take me awhile to save up enough $ in order to do another European trip but I can't wait to go back!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, marazul said:

Well, you got me.  I even asked a friend who lived in Barcelona for a couple of years and they never saw it.  So, I will check it out next time.

just for your info here is a picture of the Barcelona Cathedral (not Sagrada Familia).  The building on the left with the white door is a Gaudi Museum - (also not be confused with the "Gaudi House Museum" in Parc Guell.

Catedral de Barcelona — Landmark Review | Condé Nast Traveler

• Like 4

And in case anyone is interested in the VERY early history of Barcelona, there is a great museum around the back of the Cathedral (the one in the Gothic quarter) that actually goes underneath the church and shows the remains of the original Roman town. Through the museum you can also arrange to have special tours where they open up other subterranean spaces around the Gothic quarter that have mosaics, painted walls, etc dating back to the Roman foundation of the city.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

And in case anyone is interested in the VERY early history of Barcelona, there is a great museum around the back of the Cathedral (the one in the Gothic quarter) that actually goes underneath the church and shows the remains of the original Roman town. Through the museum you can also arrange to have special tours where they open up other subterranean spaces around the Gothic quarter that have mosaics, painted walls, etc dating back to the Roman foundation of the city.

That is a fabulous museum. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Through the museum you can also arrange to have special tours where they open up other subterranean spaces around the Gothic quarter that have mosaics, painted walls, etc dating back to the Roman foundation of the city.

I'll have to remember this if I ever make it back. That sounds neat. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 2:17 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I am extremely interested to find out more. We are in Barcelona on port stops for 3 days in November and would love to visit here.  Do you know the name of the museum ? is it attached/accessed through the Cathedral ?  is it on the opposite end of the Cathedral to the entrance as shown in the picture above?  

1 hour ago, Janet&Carl said:

I am extremely interested to find out more. We are in Barcelona on port stops for 3 days in November and would love to visit here.  Do you know the name of the museum ? is it attached/accessed through the Cathedral ?  is it on the opposite end of the Cathedral to the entrance as shown in the picture above?  

The museum is part of the Museum of the History of Barcelona (their logo says "MUHBA" which can be a bit confusing if you don't know this...!).  The building I spoke of is the main one, but there are small satellite sites throughout the old city.  The museum entrance is in the Placa del Rei.  Because of the narrow streets it does take a moment or two to orient yourself but I think it's accurate to say that if you were facing the front of the cathedral (e.g., the facade in the photo), you would walk around the building on the left-hand side until you reach the back, and the building that houses the museum is on your right just when you reach the back of the cathedral building.  The entrance is not super-obvious, but if you're looking for MUHBA signs/banners you should see it.  I'll attach a shot from Google below:

image.thumb.png.c07e2eb977a30a2d3019b597583cfdcf.png 

The front of the cathedral has the steeple and the large placa in front; the back is the semi-circular structure and the red pointer is the museum.

I recommend looking over their website if you're really interested in Roman history. As I said they do offer some tours and you can also request special openings for a modest cost. With COVID it may be a bit different.  https://www.barcelona.cat/museuhistoria/ca

Just opposite the back of the Cathedral is also something worth looking at -- there are spectacular Roman columns from the ancient Temple of Augustus that are literally incorporated into medieval buildings. You can see them on your own, no need for a tour. You do have to walk into a sort of residential courtyard (Carrer del Paradis, #10), but there are signs. On the map it is where the castle marker is, at the bottom and toward the right (signed "MUHBA Temple d'August").  Looks like this:

image.png.4c8b29fff97e6f8fe279aada462f04ac.png 

Amazing!!!!

• Like 6

Sorry if this is off topic but I am thinking of visiting Gaudi's Crypt and Colonia and am wondering if any have visited and thought it worthwhile? We are visiting on a Sunday and have visited most of the main sites before. 

What is being discussed above is also interesting and since our second port stop in Barcelona is also on a Sunday I will have to check if any are available to visit then.

53 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Amazing!!!!

Thank you so much for your detailed instructions.  I have managed to walk around the streets with the little yellow man in google maps.  We have walked around the outside of the Cathedral on a previous visit to Barlcelona and completely missed this museum.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 8:47 PM, kayjaypea42 said:

Hi all! So we will be in Barcelona on a Sunday as a regular excursion. (I embark in Rome.) I booked a guided tour through Sagrada Familia for their 10:30AM slot, directly after mass there.  I then plan to do Park Guell.  Do you reckon I'll have time to do much else? Would the Hop-on-Hop-Off bus make sense for me for that day?  (The ship leaves at 6:00pm) What would you recommend and how should I go about getting from Sagrada to Park Guell?  (I know that there are tours that include both, but the times wouldn't work out with mass included.)  Cab? Bus? (Regular or hop-on bus?) What other suggestions for that day do you have?  I'd be happy to hear all advice! Thanks!

I know I've seen you on here before, my memory is so bad! When is your cruise? We're doing the same thing in Barcelona, but I can't book the SF just yet. It's so funny - we're going to book the 10:30A slot if we can also.

On 4/1/2022 at 4:31 PM, cruisemom42 said:

The museum is part of the Museum of the History of Barcelona (their logo says "MUHBA" which can be a bit confusing if you don't know this...!).  The building I spoke of is the main one, but there are small satellite sites throughout the old city.  The museum entrance is in the Placa del Rei.  Because of the narrow streets it does take a moment or two to orient yourself but I think it's accurate to say that if you were facing the front of the cathedral (e.g., the facade in the photo), you would walk around the building on the left-hand side until you reach the back, and the building that houses the museum is on your right just when you reach the back of the cathedral building.  The entrance is not super-obvious, but if you're looking for MUHBA signs/banners you should see it.  I'll attach a shot from Google below:

image.thumb.png.c07e2eb977a30a2d3019b597583cfdcf.png 

The front of the cathedral has the steeple and the large placa in front; the back is the semi-circular structure and the red pointer is the museum.

I recommend looking over their website if you're really interested in Roman history. As I said they do offer some tours and you can also request special openings for a modest cost. With COVID it may be a bit different.  https://www.barcelona.cat/museuhistoria/ca

Just opposite the back of the Cathedral is also something worth looking at -- there are spectacular Roman columns from the ancient Temple of Augustus that are literally incorporated into medieval buildings. You can see them on your own, no need for a tour. You do have to walk into a sort of residential courtyard (Carrer del Paradis, #10), but there are signs. On the map it is where the castle marker is, at the bottom and toward the right (signed "MUHBA Temple d'August").  Looks like this:

image.png.4c8b29fff97e6f8fe279aada462f04ac.png 

Amazing!!!!

Thank you so much, this is so helpful! I will be in Barcelona at the end of May before my Azamara Pursuit cruise. I have less than 24 hours there so trying to use my time wisely.

On 4/17/2022 at 6:43 PM, trotzoll said:

I know I've seen you on here before, my memory is so bad! When is your cruise? We're doing the same thing in Barcelona, but I can't book the SF just yet. It's so funny - we're going to book the 10:30A slot if we can also.

Hi! We're going on the May 12th cruise from Rome.  Will you be on that sailing as well, or is yours later?  If it's later, I'll report how it went!