Sitka, Alaska and Hiking on your own

TravelGirl618

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to know if anyone has done any hiking not through an excursion in Sitka? I’m going on a cruise this summer. I’ve been looking into the Gavin Hill Trail and Mount Verstovia. Any information about your experiences with any hiking here would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TravelGirl618 said:

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to know if anyone has done any hiking not through an excursion in Sitka? I’m going on a cruise this summer. I’ve been looking into the Gavin Hill Trail and Mount Verstovia. Any information about your experiences with any hiking here would be greatly appreciated. 

Hiking in Alaska without a local who knows bear signs, behaviors, and carries bear spray is not such a good idea.  The larger and noisier the group of hikers the better.  If you were to encounter a curious cub, you will soon face a very angry mama bear more than willing to hurt you.

If going on your own read up about bears and bear spray and the hassles and costs that go with bear spray. We cut our hike short as we didn't feel comfortable in the area we were hiking fairly close to the cruise pier away from town. 

On 3/24/2022 at 8:15 PM, TravelGirl618 said:

Hi Everyone,

I have hiked on my own in some Alaska ports but never Sitka.  My sister and I also like to hike but Sitka might be more prone to bears??  As others have mentioned, I have thought about how to get bear spray knowing that it probably is not allowed on ships.  I am sure you can buy in port but that is expensive to buy and not be able to take bake on the ship.  Our ship is not in port long so may go with an excursion from somebody.

In this case taking an excursion is a good idea.  But another option is taking the lovely walk along the small boat harbor to Sitka National Historical Park (AKA "Totem Pole Park").  The park itself has nice trails and you will feel like you are out of town.  But be aware that the stream which runs along one side of the park is a salmon spawning stream, and when the salmon are spawning bears are attracted to it.  At times the trails are closed due to bear activity.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input. Has anyone done an excursion here not through the ship. We are not really any hiking excursions offered by our cruise line in this port? We’d like to try to do a hike and visit the Fortress of the bear while in Sitka. 

9 minutes ago, TravelGirl618 said:

Thanks for all the input. Has anyone done an excursion here not through the ship. We are not really any hiking excursions offered by our cruise line in this port? We’d like to try to do a hike and visit the Fortress of the bear while in Sitka. 

Sitka is very easy to do on your own. You can hike the nature trails in the park along the waterfront and the Fortress of the Bear and Raptor center are easy to reach by taxi. Downtown Sitka is very walkable and charming. 

• Like 1