Capacity Info?

8 minutes ago, Laminator said:

I think spring break is pushing up the pax count and it likely will continue for the next month or so. If your cruise is longer than 7 days I don't think you will see the bump. 7 day warm weather cruises are drawing larger passenger counts. Once we get into summer I am sure pax counts will spike again.

Good point about Spring break, and we're only slightly longer than 7 days. We're on a 9-day warm weather cruise to Mexico/Sea of Cortez departing San Diego April 13th. All the ingredients for the makings of a relatively full ship.

1 minute ago, KroozNut said:

Good point about Spring break, and we're only slightly longer than 7 days. We're on a 9-day warm weather cruise to Mexico/Sea of Cortez departing San Diego April 13th. All the ingredients for the makings of a relatively full ship.

Leaving on a Wednesday though. I don't think you'll be close to capacity. 

• Like 1

Currently sitting on the Eurodam on a 10 Panama Canal/ Southern Caribbean and we have hear 770 from our cabana stewards and 700 from the Cruise Director the first night.  So it is less then 40% full.  The Rotterdam left FLL the same day as us on a 7 day ( and at HMC the same day too) and our CD said they were at 2000 - so so approaching 80%. A bunch our Eurodam’ crew transferred to Rotterdam to deal with the discrepancy in volumes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Djb4CC said:

Currently sitting on the Eurodam on a 10 Panama Canal/ Southern Caribbean and we have hear 770 from our cabana stewards and 700 from the Cruise Director the first night.  So it is less then 40% full.  The Rotterdam left FLL the same day as us on a 7 day ( and at HMC the same day too) and our CD said they were at 2000 - so so approaching 80%. A bunch our Eurodam’ crew transferred to Rotterdam to deal with the discrepancy in volumes.

Pretty cool - the things that go on when we're not paying much attention!

23 hours ago, Laminator said:

Leaving on a Wednesday though. I don't think you'll be close to capacity. 

Hope you're right. I'd prefer the ship to be at around 50-70%, which would be ideal for us. Not too full, but at the same time, not a ghost town either.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Hope you're right. I'd prefer the ship to be at around 50-70%, which would be ideal for us. Not too full, but at the same time, not a ghost town either.

Long lines getting on the Rotterdam today in FLL. Not so much for the Nieuw Statendam. 

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

We can't wish that they continue to lose the volume of money that they are losing sailing at these numbers.

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

We can't wish that they continue to lose the volume of money that they are losing sailing at these numbers.

Agree.  I've found many bargains since cruising's return and continue to be surprised that there seems no end in sight to great offerings & promotions.  The lines have a lot of losses to recover and adding to those can't go on indefinitely.

On 3/26/2022 at 11:55 AM, KroozNut said:

Sounds like we may be at or near 100% when we sail on Zuiderdam in two weeks.

We are on the Eurodam to Alaska in May.  Did a search of the cabins still available for our cruise on the Big Box website and found these listed as still available:

Inside 12; Oceanview 64; Balcony 103; Suites 23 or 202 total available cabins.  The ship's capacity is listed as 2104 or 1052 cabins.

Took a guess and looked at the Zuiderdam cruise April 13th to Mexico.  The cabins listed as available on that cruise are:

Inside 0; Oceanview 22; Balcony 44; Suites 22 or 88 total available cabins.  The Zuiderdam capacity is 1964 or 957 cabins.

As of right now my totally unscientific conclusion is your cruise will probably be more crowded than ours.

Edited by farjar
spelling error

On 3/25/2022 at 8:29 PM, Midwestern Cruiser said:

No - I asked if there was a way to learn whether HAL shared counts - and you said you "could not divulge your source" - just senseless (to me) that passenger numbers would get someone in 'hot water'? 🤷‍♀️

Thanks though.

Midwest, if you are cruising feel free to ask the agent at check-in.  Shoreside staff are usually told on the morning of the cruise how many passenger are expected for embarkation.  If fact, during the embarkation there are  hourly status reports on how many passengers are embarked, and how many passengers are still expected.  Closer to the end of the shift, if most of the passengers are already onboard, staff will be given the opportunity to leave early, or if they know there are still 50 folks on a delayed flight, they will keep staff on to quickly check folks in and get them on to the ship.

You are correct - it's not a state secret.

• Like 1

@Ferry_Watcher  Thank you!  I'll do that.
I also like the idea of  'Ask the Captain' (an earlier suggestion).  Those sessions can be very interesting and a lot of Captains have great stories and personalities.

No matter how many are on a sailing, it won't impact my decision to book or not.  I'm sure I've been on sold out cruises before covid and those at less than half full since.  It's just a curiosity thing, but making a big deal of learning the answer is kind of turning it into a quest 😊

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Perhaps you can't, but I can. At least until after our sailing on 4/13. 🙂

2 hours ago, farjar said:

We are on the Eurodam to Alaska in May.  Did a search of the cabins still available for our cruise on the Big Box website and found these listed as still available:

Inside 12; Oceanview 64; Balcony 103; Suites 23 or 202 total available cabins.  The ship's capacity is listed as 2104 or 1052 cabins.

Took a guess and looked at the Zuiderdam cruise April 13th to Mexico.  The cabins listed as available on that cruise are:

Inside 0; Oceanview 22; Balcony 44; Suites 22 or 88 total available cabins.  The Zuiderdam capacity is 1964 or 957 cabins.

As of right now my totally unscientific conclusion is your cruise will probably be more crowded than ours.

I agree with the unscientific part.. lol. You're counting cabins available based on those made available by HAL for that voyage. What they have made available is likely some number less than full capacity due to COVID restrictions, quarantine blocks, etc. So I don't think you can use published total capacity as a basis number for determining cabins sold vs. cabins still available (if that makes sense). 

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Perhaps you can't, but I can. At least until after our sailing on 4/13. 🙂

🤣 We were on the K'dam in November and the count was pretty low.  It was great.  No lines anywhere.  We are doing Zuiderdam next week, so I'm hoping for an empty ship again! 

3 minutes ago, Kay S said:

🤣 We were on the K'dam in November and the count was pretty low.  It was great.  No lines anywhere.  We are doing Zuiderdam next week, so I'm hoping for an empty ship again! 

We're not hoping for an empty ship , but one that is a bit less than full capacity. I'm thinking that will be the case with our 4/13 voyage. We'll be boarding Zuiderdam when you're getting off. 🙂

On 3/26/2022 at 3:53 PM, Djb4CC said:

Heard earlier today from the Cruise Director that Eurodam on the 30th will be 1200. A bit of an increase but still only around 60-70%. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bucketlist22 said:

Heard earlier today from the Cruise Director that Eurodam on the 30th will be 1200. A bit of an increase but still only around 60-70%. 

I’ve heard this as well. Apparently the cruise before us was also over 1000. I guess people prefer the 11 night to the 10 night. After the 30th eurodam goes to the pacific then Alaska. Our waiter said they are expecting more stable numbers over 1000 while in Alaska. 

18 hours ago, Midwestern Cruiser said:

@farjar

Clearly that's not it's name...

Can you do this search on a fruit-named site or a 'go' site?

It's the big membership chain store where things "cost".  You don't have to be a member to search their travel site.  Log into their web site, click on travel, cruises, fill in what you are interested in, find my cruise, fill in a couple questions (don't bother with loyalty info), continue to stateroom type, stateroom location.  It will offer you the best available cabin in that category.  Click on "Choose a different stateroom" and then you can look at available cabins on each deck.  You can repeat the last few steps to see each of the other cabin categories.  

If you are interested in seeing what the interiors of HAL cabins look like there is halfacts where people have downloaded pictures of their cabin.  If your exact cabin is not there you usually can find a similar cabin nearby to look at. 

I too appreciate everyone's input and have learned much from the experiences of others. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orsino said:

I’ve heard this as well. Apparently the cruise before us was also over 1000. I guess people prefer the 11 night to the 10 night. After the 30th eurodam goes to the pacific then Alaska. Our waiter said they are expecting more stable numbers over 1000 while in Alaska. 

Off ship, Alaska is going to have a good year!
A friend of mine owns a tour company in Sitka.  He says they're expecting a 65% increase in visitor numbers over some of their best historical years.  Many of his tours, on 'cruise ship in port' days, are sold out through May already :-}  I'm excited for them and, though I was there in September, am also excited to return in May.

p.s. If I can sneak in an extra, I'll do 11 days vs 10 days every time!