Just off the Silhouette - fire away with questions

dateacher

On 9/7/2022 at 9:02 AM, MandygNoah said:

Hi 

what was the formal dress code like 

did people wear suits etc or not on those nights, thanks 

Formal night as we know it is gone.  Long sleave dress button up shirt and slacks or dressy blue jeans work just fine.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, happyboomer said:

We are doing the Scandinavian cruise next May. Did they offer a laundry deal mid cruise on your cruise? I seem to remember when we did Italy they gave a bag you could stuff and have it all laundered for once price. Thanks

Last time I did it - it was quite a small bag and cost $50.  Is that still the same ?  

I'm traveling on Silhouette in Sept of 2023.  I know it's a touchy subject, but I intend to wear my tux for both "Evening Chic" nights.     There is nothing that makes me feel better than to get all dressed up and go to dinner with my beautiful wife.  Plus, when you're the only one in a tux people tend to give you their drink orders.  On my last cruise I cleaned up on tips!

Elvis   

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 9/9/2022 at 10:33 AM, madmedic said:

Are positive covid cases being moved or are they allowed to remain in their cabin? 

Just finished a 12-day cruise aboard Silhouette on September 10. Around "Day 10" (we sailed August 29) -- and despite the significant precautions undertaken, including requiring guests to submit negative test results within two days of boarding -- the ship still reached a 3% threshold of positive COVID-19 cases among guests.

I don't know if positive cases were moved from their cabins to another area, but positive cases were quarantined. Also, the ship significantly stepped up its cleaning protocols and "recommended" that guests wear masks indoors and in public spaces.

cjr

• Like 3

Celebrity is our favorite cruise line. My husband has already retire and I am retiring hopefully next March. To celebrate, we booked our first suite ever. We are going on a southern Caribbean 10 day cruise with another couple. Very excited.

Thank you for your positive review. Among all of the negative reviews, it is so nice to hear something positive.

We live close to Port Canaveral and are taking a carnival cruise on the freedom to the Bahamas in a couple weeks for 37th wedding anniversary. The cruise bug has settled in. I don’t think we can watch any more YouTube videos. Not because we don’t want to, because we have watched everything worth watching so far 

On 9/11/2022 at 9:23 PM, CNSfromHI said:

Just finished a 12-day cruise aboard Silhouette on September 10. Around "Day 10" (we sailed August 29) -- and despite the significant precautions undertaken, including requiring guests to submit negative test results within two days of boarding -- the ship still reached a 3% threshold of positive COVID-19 cases among guests.

I don't know if positive cases were moved from their cabins to another area, but positive cases were quarantined. Also, the ship significantly stepped up its cleaning protocols and "recommended" that guests wear masks indoors and in public spaces.

cjr

Really hoping that the quarantine requirement to move cabin is changed by next June. Agree with the need for it but not if we are moved to an outside cabin. Will cancel if that's the case.

3 hours ago, madmedic said:

Really hoping that the quarantine requirement to move cabin is changed by next June. Agree with the need for it but not if we are moved to an outside cabin. Will cancel if that's the case.

I, too, hope COVID-19 transmission abates within the next nine months, both aboard ship and everywhere else! That said, during my recent cruise, I don't know if positive passengers were moved from their cabins or if there's even a way to find out where that might be beforehand or once aboard?

By June 2023, I hope your trip is free from this worry and that you have a wonderful time.

cjr

45 minutes ago, CNSfromHI said:

I, too, hope COVID-19 transmission abates within the next nine months, both aboard ship and everywhere else! That said, during my recent cruise, I don't know if positive passengers were moved from their cabins or if there's even a way to find out where that might be beforehand or once aboard?

By June 2023, I hope your trip is free from this worry and that you have a wonderful time.

cjr

Just got off the Silhouette a week ago.  We had reports of over 3% testing positive and they were quarantined in their rooms (not moved). Just a few doors down from me was a couple of rooms and we watched the medical staff all gowned up in plastic going in and out. 
we figured any room that was posted do not disturb for 3 plus days in a row and stacks of room service trays outside was part of that 3%. But there was no notice on where the rooms involved were.  At least the capt gave announcements and they switched to mask requirements in the theaters and recommended everywhere else in doors. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Casualcruisers.

We board Silhouette next Monday.

All the last 6 X cruises we have been on in the last 12 months the Covid cases were moved to one deck and isolated by closing fire doors that were marked Do Not Enter.

Sounds like now they let guests stay in their own cabins.  

That change may be a result of ships getting closer to fully booked and no longer being able to keep a large number of cabins empty for possible Covid cases?

3 hours ago, MAJ said:

Are guests on Silhouette routinely checked for COVID -19 by the medical staff -  or do they bring their own lateral flow test onboard with them to keep testing themselves and then report a positive test ?

There were no routine checks for Covid. I believe that is up to the guest to contact medical staff if the think they had COVID. We brought our own test kits which we used in Greenock as we were visiting family.

32 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

There were no routine checks for Covid. I believe that is up to the guest to contact medical staff if the think they had COVID. We brought our own test kits which we used in Greenock as we were visiting family.

I’m assuming they did contact tracing to some degree, testing members of the same party / group and maybe shared dining table?  But that could be wishful thinking.  I can’t imagine 3% of the people self reported, especially if they were asymptomatic.

My next cruise isn’t for another 461 days (not that I’m counting).  I think by they are going to look at this like any other cold or flu and stop calling it out.

3 hours ago, Casualcruisers said:

I’m assuming they did contact tracing to some degree, testing members of the same party / group and maybe shared dining table?  But that could be wishful thinking.  I can’t imagine 3% of the people self reported, especially if they were asymptomatic.

My next cruise isn’t for another 461 days (not that I’m counting).  I think by they are going to look at this like any other cold or flu and stop calling it out.

If there is no longer any requirement to test will Celebrity refund your cruise fare pro rata if you are tested positive by the medical staff? 

23 hours ago, Casualcruisers said:

Just got off the Silhouette a week ago.  We had reports of over 3% testing positive and they were quarantined in their rooms (not moved). Just a few doors down from me was a couple of rooms and we watched the medical staff all gowned up in plastic going in and out. 
we figured any room that was posted do not disturb for 3 plus days in a row and stacks of room service trays outside was part of that 3%...

We were on the same cruise with you, Casualcruisers, and whoever stayed in the cabin next to us A) never seemed to venture out and B) steadily left many in-room dining trays outside in the hallway, starting at some point during the cruise. We never saw any medical personnel in the area, but we typically spent our time out of our stateroom.

Anyway, it never dawned on me until reading your post that they might have tested positive/been quarantined to their room.

Also, I asked about how full the ship was for our cruise and was told ~2,400 passengers. At 3%, that's more than 70 people, but I too suspect there were more than that.

When the captain suggested wearing masks indoors (whenever that was the second week), we did so -- including when we disembarked/embarked for excursions, as well as the bus rides, and when riding in elevators, in crowded shops on board, etc.

Hope by the time you/I cruise again, this won't be an issue anymore.

cjr

16 hours ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

Some people will test & have kits. We always do. Others like a friend probably won’t unless they feel really unwell. At some point covid will be regarded the same as the flu or a bad cold