Back in Southampton and ready the QE!

aday10

57 minutes ago, aday10 said:

Also could someone tell me why there are cloths left by each side of the bed? We could not work it out the reasoning. 

9B4C9877-470F-4CD0-A9B9-FDD8C776189B.jpeg

I think it's so your clean bare feet don't go from the carpet (which other people's dirty shoes have been on) into your bed. Of course you'd be using the slippers supplied but just in case... I think it's a nice touch but I'm a bit thingy about keeping my feet clean so I appreciate the intention. 

On the other matters you raised, it sounds like you had some shabby treatment here and there. Do I understand correctly that you were told you couldn't have Earl Grey tea at afternoon tea? Even if it wasn't on the menu (which it might well have been) it doesn't sound like much of an imposition. 

I've also found the afternoon tea service to be very off-hand in the Princess Grill dining room when I've been travelling in Queen's Grill on QE. Is it different for the Princess Grill passengers who are known to the staff? Or do they just resent serving tea? I don't know but it's not a great experience.

And your grandparents shouldn't have received their bar set-up spirits on day 4!

I also think there's a difference in the attention the butlers provide based on cabin category; my last trip I was upgraded to Q3 and my butler couldn't have been nicer or more obliging. However, the friends I knew on board in Q5/6 said they had hardly seen their butler - a very different experience. 

The wait staff for afternoon tea in QE and QV  PG are drawn from both PG and QG staff and we have found no difference in how we've been treated by any of them and as an aside, I always have Earl Grey when taking  afternoon tea!

Butler attentiveness has always been the same from a Q5 to a Q2 but then we don't do shorties. For some reason, I can only assume this short cruise didn't have the same level of service the longer cruises do, which of course is inexcusable.

We are picky but easy to please and have nothing but praise for 99% of our QG trips [the 1% being ten days on QE years ago]. There seems to be quite a discrepancy in the way some QG guests are treated compared to others and  I have no idea why but I and many repeaters love the product. 

It obviously must fail at times but aday10, don't ley the past few days put you off.  🙂

Edited by Victoria2

31 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I’ve also found the afternoon tea service to be very off-hand in the Princess Grill dining room when I've been travelling in Queen's Grill on QE. Is it different for the Princess Grill passengers who are known to the staff? Or do they just resent serving tea? I don't know but it's not a great experience.

I was a Princess Grill passenger, and would agree the offering here - although very tasty! - was somewhat lacking compared to the Queen’s Room. It was a more tailored, ‘brought to you’ experience, where passengers ordered off a small menu and items were brought over on tiered cake stands. All lovely; but I missed the drama of the giant trays of sandwiches and procession of teapots! My parents said likewise - we would opt for downstairs next time. The Deck 11 table-side view of the ocean, however, was excellent!

Odd that Earl Grey wasn’t possible - I’ve definitely had it in the Queen’s Room before as a default available option; and it’s hardly a huge imposition. I will say the waiters seemed perfectly pleasant although we didn’t see our usual ones.

On two other matters; I loved the Grills Lounge and thought it far more enticing than the Queen Mary 2 offering, although a larger room would be an improvement (perhaps for the Queen Anne). I did attempt an off-menu cocktail order there (a Boulevardier, hardly exotic ingredients) but was discouraged - not a huge deal, but interesting compared with prior experience.

On the butler front; I had a Q6 on the QM2 on a two nighter in February and only saw our butler twice - and the delivered wine for our setup arrived on the second day. It wasn’t a huge negative, but certainly wouldn’t have encouraged me to book for that benefit again. 

Now at home waiting for the first laundry cycle to finish. I sense there will be no napkin placed on my lap at lunch today! 😂

Edited by Jonem2001

We noticed that Fresh Fruit and the Day 1 chocolates were absent on our last cruise. We commented on it then promptly forgot about it, so never chased it up, maybe because the portions seems so much larger than previously for all our meals we never felt hungry.

18 minutes ago, rakkor said:

We noticed that Fresh Fruit and the Day 1 chocolates were absent on our last cruise. We commented on it then promptly forgot about it, so never chased it up, maybe because the portions seems so much larger than previously for all our meals we never felt hungry.

Yes I had been told that they had been absent on the last cruise as well, but I completely agree with you on portion sizes, I never felt hungry on the ship 😂 

We were booked in Q3, but I do think because it’s a short cruise they is not as much effort made, and really, there wasn’t much we needed the butler to do! Just some of the extras would have been nice. 

As for the earl grey, it was on the menu alongside the assam, when I we all asked for the two different teas when the server came over to see if we wanted tea, he said he only had the English afternoon tea. My grandparents and boyfriend wanted the assam but rather than making a fuss they opted for the one in the pot, I asked for the earl grey and was told I’d need to wait, and I said I didn’t mind. I just think it’s nicer in the queens room, but am pleased I have tried it. 

yes to receive the spirits on the last day is pretty pointless, our hand luggage was very heavy this morning! 

The lounge is nice, sadly we never found the time to go up for pre dinner drinks as we went to a quiz before dinner, but I’m sure it had a nice atmosphere. 

We are definitely not picky people, just I would expect a bit more for the price, but as I said, I think booking the queens grill for a longer cruise you will experience more of the benefits! In my opinion, I’d rather book two cruises rather than paying what we paid for a short cruise in grills. 

now to start planning my next cruise, instead of doing the washing 😂

The fruit basket is now only available "on request". We always tell out butler to miss the dried up canapés, but take the hot ones if entertaining.

On the odd occasion that I go for afternoon tea, I just want a wee sandwich and a scone. A whole three tier plateful is a waste.