Testing for European Cruise

The Lunacy continues! What are the new rules going to say about the need for a second Booster? The FDA or is it the CDC now says that a second booster is recommended for those over 50 if your last booster was over 6 months ago. Any guess whether Regent will soon require a second Booster?

• 2 weeks later...

Given we are flying to UK 4 days prior and need to get a test within 72 hrs.   We will do the self test before we go just to avoid getting there and get a surprise but it could happen.  So if one of us tests positive and cannot go on the cruise does regent give a FCC ?

1 hour ago, Lonedaddy said:

Given we are flying to UK 4 days prior and need to get a test within 72 hrs.   We will do the self test before we go just to avoid getting there and get a surprise but it could happen.  So if one of us tests positive and cannot go on the cruise does regent give a FCC ?

If I do not bring proof of a negative COVID-19 test with me and instead I am tested at the pier prior to embarkation, what happens if I test positive for COVID-19?
Guests who test positive for COVID-19 at embarkation will be denied boarding. If the guest(s) is symptomatic and requires medical care or hospitalization, MedCon/Port Agent will arrange to have the guest(s) transferred to the local hospital. Hospital and/or medical treatments will be at the guest’s expense and MedCon will make daily calls to our guest(s) in the hospital as a health diary (daily case management). If the guest(s) is not symptomatic, or mildly symptomatic and does not require immediate medical care or hospitalization, MedCon/Port Agent will contact Port/Marine Ops and Hotel Ops to arrange transportation from port. Guest(s) will be isolated in accordance with local regulations. Should the guest(s) develop any symptoms, need to consult a doctor, or require medication associated with COVID-19 they are to contact MedCon. All shoreside hospital and/or medical treatments will be at the guest’s expense. Once required isolation period is complete, no further test will be administered. Any airline or country of origin testing requirements will be at the guest(s)‘ expense. MedCon/Port Agent will manage arrangements for travel/transportation once the Port Agent advises the guest(s) is cleared to travel home. MedCon/Port Agent are to settle all upfront payments with guest(s). Additional details regarding costs for travel arrangements and quarantine can be found below in the “If I test positive for COVID-19, will Regent cover the cost of travel arrangements and/or quarantine needed?”.

Will all guests traveling in the same suite be denied boarding if one member of the party tests positive at embarkation?
Yes — all guests booked in the same suite as the confirmed COVID-19 positive case will not be allowed to board.

If I cannot sail because I test positive for COVID-19 before travelling to the ship or at the pier the day of embarkation, will I receive a refund?
Guests who must cancel their cruise before travelling to the ship due to a positive COVID-19 test prior to leaving home, or those that test positive for COVID-19 at the pier prior to embarkation and are denied boarding, should submit an insurance claim. For guests whose claims are denied or who do not have insurance, proof of claim denial from insurance carrier and proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from a registered test provider (including the test administered at the pier) are to be submitted to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date, and Regent will provide a Future Cruise Credit (FCC); the FCC will post to the guest’s account within 30 days. The Future Cruise Credit can be applied to any reservation within one (1) year on any Regent voyage departing within two (2) years. Alternatively, guest may request a monetary refund to the original form of payment** on file by sending an email to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date. Guests who violated RSSC’s Health & Safety protocols and/or local authority regulations/procedures will receive no refunds or credits whatsoever. ** If any portion of the booking has previously applied Future Cruise Credits, those Future Cruise Credits will be reinstated to the guest’s account and are non-refundable.

What happens if I test positive for COVID-19 during my cruise or at disembarkation?
If a guest tests positive for COVID-19 while on board, contact tracing will be performed in cooperation with the Security and Surveillance Team.

• If the guest(s) is symptomatic, they will receive complimentary treatment by our onboard medical team and will then be quarantined in the designated isolation suites onboard. The length of their quarantine will depend on the severity of case, the number of days left in the voyage and if the guest(s) is symptomatic/asymptomatic. If the medical condition of the patient continues to deteriorate, the onboard medical team will determine proper course of action to safely disembark the guest(s) depending on the location of the vessel, and will engage Guest Relations team for follow up. Hospital and/or medical treatment after disembarkation will be at the guest’s expense.
  • If the guest(s) is asymptomatic, they will be quarantined in the designated isolation suites onboard. The length of their quarantine will depend on the severity of the case, the number of days left if the voyage and whether the guest remains asymptomatic or becomes symptomatic. Upon cruise completion, MedCon will arrange for the guest(s) and their travel party to be transferred to a local hotel for quarantining, in accordance with local health authority regulations, if quarantine was not completed while on board. If quarantine was completed on board, guest will follow standard disembarkation protocols. MedCon/Port Agent will manage arrangements for travel/transportation, once the Port Agent advises the guest(s) is cleared to travel home. MedCon/Port Agent are to settle all upfront payments with guest(s).

Will all guests traveling in the same suite be denied boarding if one member of the party tests positive before travelling to the ship, during the cruise or at disembarkation?
Guests/Close contacts traveling in the same suite as the confirmed COVID-19 positive case are considered close contacts and will receive an Antigen test for COVID-19. If the Antigen test is positive, a confirmatory PCR test will be given. If the Antigen test is negative, or if after a positive Antigen test the confirmatory PCR test is negative, the close contact will be able to continue to cruise. If the confirmatory PCR test is positive, the close contact will be quarantined and/or disembarked per standard operating procedure.

If I test positive for COVID-19, will Regent cover the cost of travel arrangements and/or quarantine needed?
All guest(s) are to keep receipts for all expenses and file a claim with their insurance carrier for reimbursement. If the guest(s)’ insurance carrier denies the claim and/or the guest(s) does not have insurance protection, and provided the guest has a negative COVID-19 test result from a registered test provider prior to flying to the embarkation port, Regent Seven Seas Cruises will reimburse the guest(s) as noted below. Should guests require assistance finding a COVID-19 testing location prior to departing home or while traveling, please visit the Test for Travel website by click here. Additionally, we have partnered with Inspire Diagnostics to provide hassle-free, online testing for our guests from the convenience of your home. Please click here for more information.

Please note: If a guest receives a positive COVID-19 test at the pier upon arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Guests who are unable to provide proof from a registered test provider of a negative PCR or antigen test* taken within 72 hours of embarkation will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance. Regent Seven Seas Cruises will assist with the expenses outlined below only if the guest provides proof from a registered test provider of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72 hours prior to their embarkation, proof of claim denial from insurance carrier and all receipts. *Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72 hours of embarkation must be from a registered test provider and show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.”

• Hotel stay length determined by MedCon and approved by Regent Seven Seas Cruises
  • Reasonable transportation from the terminal to the hospital or hotel, and from the hospital or hotel to the airport
  • Up to $100/day per guest(s) (USD) for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
  • Flight change fees up to $300 per person, if applicable
  • All other incidentals, including but not limited to, prescription drug refills, laundry, medical expenses and/or hospitalization costs, will be at the expense of the guest(s). No reimbursement will be provided.
  • Proof of claim denial from insurance carrier, proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from a registered test provider prior to flying to embarkation port, as well as all receipts are to be submitted to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the voyage end date
  • Regent Seven Seas will not reimburse any costs related to shoreside medical care.

If a guest receives a positive COVID-19 test at the pier upon arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Regent Seven Seas Cruises will assist with the expenses outlined below only if guest provides proof of claim denial from insurance carrier and all receipts.

• Hotel stay length determined by MedCon and approved by Regent Seven Seas Cruises
  • Reasonable transportation from the terminal to the hospital or hotel, and from the hospital or hotel to the airport
  • Up to $100/day per guest(s) (USD) for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
  • Flight change fees up to $300 per person, if applicable
  • All other incidentals, including but not limited to, prescription drug refills, laundry, medical expenses and/or hospitalization costs, will be at the expense of the guest(s). No reimbursement will be provided.
  • Proof of claim denial from insurance carrier, proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from a registered test provider prior to flying to embarkation port, as well as all receipts are to be submitted to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the voyage end date
  • Regent Seven Seas will not reimburse any costs related to shoreside medical care.

Who is MedCon?
MedCon is a global medical consultant overseeing guests that are being housed in hotel accommodations shoreside. This includes boarding denial and medical disembarkations for all ports around the world. They will be responsible for daily case management for all guests (asymptomatic and symptomatic) to create a documented process for all cases encountered.

If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a refund?
Guests who are quarantined and/or disembarked due to a positive COVID-19 test, immediate travel party or close contact as defined above should submit an insurance claim for trip interruption. Proof of claim denial from insurance carrier, proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from a registered test provider prior to flying to embarkation port, as well as all receipts are to be submitted to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date. For guests whose claims are denied or who do not have insurance, Regent will provide a pro-rata Future Cruise Credit (FCC) on the amount of cruise fare paid based on the number of nights sailed; the FCC will post to the guest’s account within 30 days. The Future Cruise Credit can be applied to any reservation within one (1) year on any Regent voyage departing within two (2) years. Alternatively, guest may request a pro-rata monetary refund to the original form of payment** on file by sending an email to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date. Guests who violated RSSC’s Health & Safety protocols and/or local authority regulations/procedures will receive no refunds or credits whatsoever. ** If any portion of the booking has previously applied Future Cruise Credits, those Future Cruise Credits will be reinstated to the guest’s account and are non-refundable.

11 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

"If a guest receives a positive COVID-19 test at the pier upon arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Guests who are unable to provide proof from a registered test provider of a negative PCR or antigen test* taken within 72 hours of embarkation will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance."

Interesting wording, but pretty ambiguous.  To my mind then, reading this, the test at the pier is not equal to the test taken independently within 72 hours of embarkation, for the purposes of reimbursement.  So the former does not really replace the requirement for the latter.  Is that how others read this?

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Interesting wording, but pretty ambiguous.  To my mind then, reading this, the test at the pier is not equal to the test taken independently within 72 hours of embarkation, for the purposes of reimbursement.  So the former does not really replace the requirement for the latter.  Is that how others read this?

They really have been saying this all along. Test at the 72 hour pre boarding mark if you want any cruise cost protected from Regent (FCC), if you happen to test positive at the required pre boarding test. But you have to test negative at the required pre boarding test to get in the ship. And you have to have a negative 72 hour pre test to have your cruise cost protected if you come to the port.

This is the reason we have cancelled the GV June Viking sailing and the Nov SA GV. We do not want to risk being quarantined in a random country at the cruise beginning or at the beginning of a segment mid cruise because a positive test.

For now since we want to cruise again we have booked a couple of shorter cruises round trip for a US port and we will drive to the port.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I found the information provided to be quite detailed and specific.

Given that on the Oceania forum I hear complaints that no one will provide them with specific quarantine policy, I find this information very helpful. 
I agree with CWN as well. It has always been emphasized repeatedly that a negative test prior to arrival at embarkation is a key criteria to receive favorable treatment by the cruiseline when testing negative at the pier.

I hope we can all cruise in health!

For those staying over for a few days in any European country (not just the UK) I strongly recommend that you continue to take precautions (hand hygiene, social distancing and masks) to protect yourself. I picked up Covid in London a couple of weeks ago (after having avoided it for 2 years) which wasn't an issue for me as I was going home but would have been if I had been joining a cruise ship. Also, just a point about the antigen (LFTs) test. You are more likely to get a false negative than positive ( as I found out 😜)  - if you test positive 72 hours before hand it's pretty likely you've got it.

'However, if you get a positive test result, you can be more confident that you really are infected. This is because the specificity of LFTs – their ability to accurately diagnose uninfected individuals – is higher, and therefore false positives are highly unlikely. In people who did not have COVID‐19, LFTs correctly ruled in infection in 99.5% of people with COVID-like symptoms, and 98.9% of those without them.'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, victorialynne22 said:

This is exactly my fear. My sister and I are arriving in London a few days before our June cruise. I feel that we should stay locked up in the hotel but the whole point of going early is to explore London!

Well, one can take precautions without feeling like they're locked up, right?  Perhaps avoid really crowded places, like the Underground?  There's lots to see in London without feeling crowded or unsafe, although I admit many of the tourist sights will perhaps be crowded.  It's a difficult one, for sure.  Same for us going to Copenhagen. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, victorialynne22 said:

This is exactly my fear. My sister and I are arriving in London a few days before our June cruise. I feel that we should stay locked up in the hotel but the whole point of going early is to explore London!

I would definitely avoid the underground particularly at rush hour my suspicion is that is where I picked it up - London is very walkable if you are reasonably fit and the weather should be nice in June so you will be able to see lots and still keep your distance from others. Also, school holidays don't start til July so won't be as busy during non rush hour time.

Edited by Techno123
  • Thanks 1