New boarding requirements

wren2

Just received a lengthy communication from Silversea this morning,  now saying PCr or antigen test must be taken within 24 hours of boarding.   The revised March 8 email said 72 hours and I have booked a PCr test within 48 hours of landing. Have I missed something here? Or is it another case of misinformation? At least Silversea will still test you pierside but it means I need not have booked the PCr test. I am boarding the Dawn on April 8! I have three more cruises booked this year but with all these last minute changes, do I want to take them.

I am told that this is an EU requirement and yes, it’s more restrictive than the SS policy just corrected in March.  On the other hand, I spent hours chasing down a 24 hour antigen test in Lisbon so that I could get on the

the Spirit faster and it only got me on about 20 minutes earlier.  The pier side testing only took about 15 minutes.  

We sail April 25th out of Barbados. Final documents stated that as long as you are vaccinated and boosted, an antigen or PCR test can be 3 days old. A previous notification stated that you would not be allowed to embark unless you were vaccinated and boosted. Not clear why SS also stated requirements (more stringent) for passengers that had not been boosted.

• Like 1

Thanks, Blacksmith. According to Silversea the 24 hour restriction is a new EEC law.  I am boosted up to the hilt and just had my second booster last Thursday.  I hope that Silversea will continue their pier side testing, even after the end of April. I do not mind paying but want peace of mind. If the pier side testing is discontinued, I will probably cancel my September and November cruises.

• Like 2

We just received our paperwork for the Dawn cruise out of Venice in July and I was surprised to see that a booster is required.

We’ve had 2 jabs of the Moderna vaccine and Covid to boot- really did not want to add more medication but unless the restrictions are modifies we will be getting another round.

Barbados requires a Covid test to enter their country. They will accept an antigen test taken within 24 hours and SS will accept the same test taken within 3 days prior to embarkation. So for us, 1 test works.
The more stringent requirement for passengers not boosted is for folks less than 4 months from previous shot (not eligible for the booster). They are required to have the antigen test within 24hrs or the PCR test within 3 days. 
Obviously all of the above may be different for other countries. Isn’t traveling fun these days?😅

It would seem to me that the requirement of a PCR/Antigen Test by an accepted Tester only 24 Hours prior to Boarding is totally impractical for many Guests.

Am i missing something here or do others share the same view - this will be more of an Issue if SS stop Tests at the Port ( in any event I do not wish to spend more time than is necessary in a crowded area at the Port ).

I would welcome views from those it affects in the coming weeks.

We boarded the Dawn on the 1st.  Silversea accepted the results from our eMed  tests taken that morning in our hotel room. They are tests proctored by eMed, a lab,  over the internet using the Abbott  BinaxNOW test kits, and certified results are provided by email. The whole process took about 20 minutes and the kits cost about $25 online  from eMed (in the US). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sea bright said:

We boarded the Dawn on the 1st.  Silversea accepted the results from our eMed  tests taken that morning in our hotel room. They are tests proctored by eMed, a lab,  over the internet using the Abbott  BinaxNOW test kits, and certified results are provided by email. The whole process took about 20 minutes and the kits cost about $25 online  from eMed (in the US). 

The US has a similar test requirement for us to get home, and this is our approach too.  Bought the 6-pack of tests and will bring 3 on each trip (one spare, in case we mess up).  Will do the test in the hotel room the day before flying.

On 4/6/2022 at 8:23 AM, Mayflower1 said:

It would seem to me that the requirement of a PCR/Antigen Test by an accepted Tester only 24 Hours prior to Boarding is totally impractical for many Guests.

Am i missing something here or do others share the same view - this will be more of an Issue if SS stop Tests at the Port ( in any event I do not wish to spend more time than is necessary in a crowded area at the Port ).

I would welcome views from those it affects in the coming weeks.

I entirely agree. If Silversea would only state that during Covid times, testing will always be available pier side, it would do a lot to allay fears. Very often passengers plan on spending a couple of days in the embarkation port and do not want to run around looking for tests. Am quite happy if Silversea charge but I need to know well in advance to avoid stress. I am boarding the Dawn tomorrow and will be on the Wind in late May. Two more cruises later in the year, which I will cancel if I there is no  clear guidance. Do not know who the Guest Relations is on the Dawn but would certainly like to make my concerns known.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The US has a similar test requirement for us to get home, and this is our approach too.  Bought the 6-pack of tests and will bring 3 on each trip (one spare, in case we mess up).  Will do the test in the hotel room the day before flying.

Are home tests acceptable?  Or are your tests linked to some kind of online verification?

I am afraid blacksmith, this is not the current situation as of 6 days ago.  SS confirm ( and is made plain on their Website ) that The Test must be no later than 24 Hours prior to Boarding to satisfy EU Regulations - it could well be different in other areas.

3 Days Prior is annoying but able to be achieved - 24 Hours is, in many Cases, very difficult to achieve, hence the concerns.

12 minutes ago, Mayflower1 said:

I am afraid blacksmith, this is not the current situation as of 6 days ago.  SS confirm ( and is made plain on their Website ) that The Test must be no later than 24 Hours prior to Boarding to satisfy EU Regulations - it could well be different in other areas.

3 Days Prior is annoying but able to be achieved - 24 Hours is, in many Cases, very difficult to achieve, hence the concerns.

Sorry, you’re right as it applies to certain countries in the EU. I was referring to the general requirements on the website allowing 3 days.

On 4/6/2022 at 5:58 AM, sea bright said:

Looking to purchase those for our med cruise this summer.  We used for our trip home from Canada over xmas.  Really easy and can use for flight home.  

5 minutes ago, boccenana said:

Is just an Antigen test accepted by SS. Results are quick.

PCR is a different test, takes longer for results at local drug store testing sites.

If they accepted the Binax now tests from EMed , than yes. I think that was said above? 

• Thanks 1

I cannot get an antigen test at any pharmacy in my town, hence the PCR Test. The 24 hour time limit is impossible.  Having sailed with Silversea for 26 years, age tells and I am not that clued in with technology. Pier side testing is the way to go for me and probably for other people, as well.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 8:35 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

4 hours ago, alc13 said:

Are home tests acceptable?  Or are your tests linked to some kind of online verification?

Binax sells two different version of their test kits.  One is just a home test, without supervision – that is NOT acceptable for travel.  The other version includes online supervision of the test process and results, and they send you an email with a QR code proving the negative test – that IS acceptable for all the travel uses I have researched.

• Thanks 2

Thank you, Host Jazzbeau, for the info.  

We haven't traveled for 2 years but just booked our first SS cruise on the Moon for July.  Following all the helpful tips I got here, I googled and was led to the emed website:

https://www.emed.com/airline-travel?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl7qSBhD-ARIsACvV1X0Pw2CH9wcvq0z5GWApxy-V2QdMtQxuS_P_uj2uyhSqcnou-lQT7zMaAjb0EALw_wcB

Sounds like the eMed test is the way to go.   Be sure to get the specific test kit though as the other type they sell is not accepted by cruises/airlines.   It requires you to connect to their website over the internet with a device that has a camera/video function.  I've read on other sites that they could be  swamped sometimes resulting in a long, long wait to connect.

They list UA, AA, Delta as their partners meaning the same test kit can be used for check-in with these airlines for entry to US as it's CDC-approved.  Because I'm flying non-stop on SAS, it's unclear to me if I can use the kit to check in for my in-bound flight.  Need more research later. Things are fluid and may change at any time too.  Currently, airlines and cruises accept this antigen test kit.

• Like 1

Quest is another company.  We did a PCR test with them.  It's a spit test and they watch you do it and seal it.  Then you UPS it to them.  An email with a QR code comes but it does take up to 3 days.  Our Blue Cross/Blue Shield reimbursed us for most of the cost.