An O newby sails Regatta - April 6, 2022. Trans pacific, Papeete to Los Angeles

jondfk

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

Last night dinner in Toscana, our first specialty.  A few notes.

The food, as everywhere on the ship was very good or better.  Service however was just okay, frankly the GDR was more responsive, not bad service mind you, but certainly not exceptional.

Olive oil trolley, I’ve seen it in videos, but last night just a single choice, poured without description.  It was fine, and to be honest I probably wouldn’t know what to choose anyway, but when something expected doesn’t appear…. 

The olive oil trolley on the Regatta is hit or miss.  I was on Regatta in March and went to Toscana twice. We never saw the trolley the first time.  The waiter just came around with a single bottle each of oil and vinegar. On the second visit, they did come around with it.  I think they were short of staff on our first visit.   It doesn't matter to me anyway as I'm not that interested in so many selections of oil and vinegar.

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

we usually pass on the oi; trolley but if you want more options  ask the waiter  to bring the trolley/oil/vinegar menu

Right Linda..I know they have  Trolley if I want to see it I ask for it..

Jancruz1

On 4/11/2022 at 11:52 AM, SophieM said:

From our experience, I agree with your comments, although I was able to request specific number of croutons. 🙂 We continue to hope that they are just getting their sea legs, so to speak, but it was not up to our previous O cruises. 

I think what I am experiencing is the state of " gelling " that is often required on inaugural cruises. Although this is the 4th cruise, this really is like an inaugural. I see things getting tweaked everyday for the better. 

• Like 1

Yes, I agree tweaks are getting made day by day, particularly in terms of service in public areas.  The crew should be pretty well tuned up by Alaska 😉 

Today we will try the afternoon tea for the first time, necessary adjustments made to the normal feeding plan.

last night dinner menu follows:  The Penang beef entree was very good, but sweet from the coconut which meant a little went a long was, glad I tried it.

089C7930-CC1D-4027-9569-6A22A2877E3B.jpeg

7BB0AA5B-2840-4C5A-B037-0605CE283D8B.jpeg

DC3E6E29-392F-4500-88C3-2192A037F4DD.jpeg

Edited by jondfk

Yesterday was the equator crossing, our 4th, the crossing ceremony was fun, a truly surprising number of folks choose to participate including a couple of crew members making their maiden crossing, Julie kept the whole event fun.  “Stroke the fish”.

Our first (but certainly not last) afternoon tea on O.  Very nicely done, low key, as much as you wanted but no one pushing food your way.  No pastry towers which seem like such a waste to me.  I’ve talked about staff being short here or there, bit not at tea time, the room swarmed with staff.

dining room menus for last night follow, we stayed in with a selection of appetizers, it was good to take a night off.

A979EBE5-B550-4825-8FA0-CBBEC4F0B758.jpeg

03596D67-24B6-446F-9F90-697F171B09C3.jpeg

E2B6BAF2-BCD2-4C6C-BB7B-35799A208303.jpeg

• Like 1

Another sea day, the last before landfall in Honolulu tomorrow.  Some hula lessons, a light lunch, an afternoon movie.  Lovely.

Tonight we’re off to Polo Grill, our first visit, so looking forward.  A small salad for lunch so, room to enjoy.

Menu for the GDR follows

18DECC09-D5B7-47F7-871A-9AD40E489897.jpeg

EEB15001-B4A9-497F-8571-7FA37DD5BA9C.jpeg

5AFFA558-FD2F-4137-A26E-D147310EF190.jpeg

Dinner in Polo Grill last night, perfect, service and food were excellent.  The place was packed, but staff was up to the challenge delivered courses with a nice timing.  The house salad comes with a rather sweet Catalina style dressing, not my fave, will ask for a change if I have this again, the filet was cooked perfect and the portion was just right considering the many other nice meals we’ve had.

We have a second booking just before arriving in Los Angeles, already looking forward.

Captain announced we will arrive in Honolulu about 4 hours late, a real heartbreaker for those with afternoon shore excursions all of which have been canceled.  I saw this coming, seas have been significant, I won’t say rough, but substantial for the entire 5 day sail, accordingly ships speed has been dialed back to ~15knts for days, doesn’t sound like much of a reduction but day after day it adds up.  We had no timed plans so the impact on us is negligible but for folks visiting Hawaii for the first / only time from very far away, disappointing indeed.

58 minutes ago, kibutzer said:

Not sure why we are going so slow...... but it does make for much smoother sailing. Staff is marvelous

To make the PAX more comfortable   & not bouncing from wall to wall when walking in heavy seas 

Hang on tight 😉

Happy Easter from showery Kauai.  Early morning sun, but impulses of rain by mid day - precisely what makes the island so very green.  We ventured out between showers (not) to stretch our legs and get a bite off the ship.  Many had elaborate excursion plans, fingers crossed the weather is a bit brighter on the canyon side, it typically is.

We are back on board for another gloriously relaxing afternoon.  Sail away is 4pm, the trip in and out of narrow winding Nawiliwili harbor never disappoints.

Last nigh, dinner with some new friends in the GDR, tonight Easter dinner ham or turkey with all the fixings.

Menu for last night, I’ll post tonight’s a bit later.

02D51132-33D2-4C22-B372-8BE231C63813.jpeg

88F2AB37-AEB8-44E9-A039-72C78C303B1F.jpeg

5BBCA231-D581-4B29-8F03-1B4E05299924.jpeg

Today is Hilo our last port call in Hawaii, weather, surprisingly, is so far better than both Honolulu and Kauai though the clouds are building.  We’ve been here many times so nothing more exciting than lunch for us.  The 5 sea days to Los Angeles, we look forward to the lunches in GDR and some more great sea day lectures.

last nights Easter menu far the GDR, I failed to capture but included ham or turkey with traditional side.  We both had rigatoni with veal bolognese, fabulous.  Tonight we return to Toscana in search of the elusive oil cart 😉 

Edited by jondfk

Okay, second Toscana experience last night.  First things first, the oil and vinegar trolley, didn’t happen once again, when they started pouring the same supermarket oil I use at home I asked “are there choices” the reply “I can bring butler if you prefer” made it clear no trolley would be offered.  Aside from this however service was great and our meal very good.  The pace was better than the first time, our waitress was able to come to a full stop when delivering dishes to the table unlike the first.  We had a very nice evening though I maintain the quality of food and service in the GDR are as good or even better.  No need to go to specialty dining on O to get a great meal, though Toscana does have some unique dishes we are unlikely to see in GDR.

Today is the first of 5 full sea days en route to Los Angeles, the lunch buffet today is themed Italian, my favorite, though we will likely go to GDR, themes are typically shared.

2 hours ago, jondfk said:

Okay, second Toscana experience last night.  First things first, the oil and vinegar trolley, didn’t happen once again, when they started pouring the same supermarket oil I use at home I asked “are there choices” the reply “I can bring butler if you prefer” made it clear no trolley would be offered.  Aside from this however service was great and our meal very good.  The pace was better than the first time, our waitress was able to come to a full stop when delivering dishes to the table unlike the first.  We had a very nice evening though I maintain the quality of food and service in the GDR are as good or even better.  No need to go to specialty dining on O to get a great meal, though Toscana does have some unique dishes we are unlikely to see in GDR.

Today is the first of 5 full sea days en route to Los Angeles, the lunch buffet today is themed Italian, my favorite, though we will likely go to GDR, themes are typically shared.

Remember what I said..please leave booze and food for us we board Sunday!! I am so excited first cruise in 2.5 years..the library was supposed to have gotten new books did you notice at your last port??

Jancruz1

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nodakboiler said:

We are scheduled to board the Regatta Sunday. Is a sports coat required for the MDR or the specialty restaurants? According to an email from Oceania, it seems required (or at least highly recommended). Thanks.

Not usually required

Interesting  we have not had such an email  maybe something new ??

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nodakboiler said:

We are scheduled to board the Regatta Sunday. Is a sports coat required for the MDR or the specialty restaurants? According to an email from Oceania, it seems required (or at least highly recommended). Thanks.

Never my husband never even takes one and we have been on almost 500 days....something is wrong with that email..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 1