Cunard: "refundable", "non-refundable". A minefield?

Canuker

Just getting feet wet again re possible cruising.

I'm sure this topic has been addressed countless times - which is why I'm both ignorant and confused.

This question applies to Cunard only.

Please don't refer me to Cunard's website, which baffles me - and changes with time. My next option is to phone Cunard but I thought I'd start here, for an objective viewpoint.

1. What EXACTLY does "refundable" mean?

2. What EXACTLY does "non-refundable" mean?

3, How does using FCC money impact 1 & 2?

Specifically, I'm looking at voyage # Q222C, 29 days, Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale, sailing July 11, 2022.

Assume I will book this cruise within 90 days of sail date, i.e. after approx. April 11, 2022.

Thanks you for your help.

Bewildered in a minefield,

Canuker,

Toronto.

@Canuker, I think I'm going to need to know more details about any offer you are seeing for the July 11, 2022 voyage that says it's "refundable". Normally the terms "refundable" and "non-refundable" only refer to the deposit.

For bookings made under the standard terms and conditions for North America, final payment is due 120 days before the departure date on voyages of 30 nights or less. So, my understanding is that a booking made at this point in North America for that July 11, 2022 voyage is automatically "non-refundable". That is, full payment will be due at the time of booking and the standard cancellation penalty schedule will already have kicked in.

Sorry, I don't know if using FCC makes any difference. I suspect it does not, but I don't know that for sure.

I've not used a TA for decades - but I use one for cruising because of this sort of stuff!  

Why do you think you might cancel? You'll be getting travel insurance anyway I assume so  what is exactly at risk.  If you are worried about Canada closing down cruising well Cunard has got a track record of giving you a refund or a FCC - which is sounds like you've already experienced. 

We may see you on board - we are doing the cruise from SF on to Europe- just paid the final payment - and excited! 

12 hours ago, Canuker said:

Just getting feet wet again re possible cruising.

I'm sure this topic has been addressed countless times - which is why I'm both ignorant and confused.

This question applies to Cunard only.

Please don't refer me to Cunard's website, which baffles me - and changes with time. My next option is to phone Cunard but I thought I'd start here, for an objective viewpoint.

1. What EXACTLY does "refundable" mean?

2. What EXACTLY does "non-refundable" mean?

3, How does using FCC money impact 1 & 2?

Specifically, I'm looking at voyage # Q222C, 29 days, Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale, sailing July 11, 2022.

Assume I will book this cruise within 90 days of sail date, i.e. after approx. April 11, 2022.

Thanks you for your help.

Bewildered in a minefield,

Canuker,

Toronto.

1. Refundable components of your fare are usually time-specific and will only be 'refundable' within certain time perameters (which, I'm afraid does mean you will have to consult the Cunard website or post here the t&cs so others can read and give their interpretation).

3. Best idea is to ring Cunard to find out what particular limitations there are on your own FCC - for example, during the last couple of years, I've had FCC subject to two different sets of rules regarding timing of use and cancellation/changes of cruises booked using them.

Edited by LittleFish1976