Seeking realistic idea of Covid-related isolation risk for 7-day Fjords cruise this summer

alj1208

53 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

My wife and I both contacted Covid on the second leg of our recent Rotterdam cruise. I would say we were pretty cautious but obviously not enough. We had a Neptune suite and we’re sent to a Verandha cabin for isolation. I would say under the circumstances we were treated well. Clinic called us Daily to check on us. We ordered all our meals through the Neptune Concierge and others I supposed ordered through guest services. Everything was served in disposable styrofoam and paper cups. We had cocktails delivered, had a load of laundry done and made our own bed. There was no room service 

Was it fun? No but it was what it was. Our symptoms were more like a bad head cold. Naps were often! Movies, internet and reading were the pastime. 

Meals were more for survival rather than pleasurable dining experience. One of us ate at  the desk and other from coffee table. Many of the meals were ordered through the specialty restaurants but eating from disposable plating and wooden utensils pretty much ruined what would have been a memorable dining experience.

So yes it can happen. You will be sent to the quarantine area of ship. If your roommates test negative they can remain in your regular cabin and will be tested every morning  for five days in a row. As long as they are negative they have no restrictions. 

While in quarantine for five days you will be free to return to cabin and enjoy the rest of cruise if you have two negative test in a row!

I was also given the option of leaving the ship and doing quarantine for five days in a row in a hotel that would be paid for by Hal. I felt I would be better taken care of on board versus in a strange hotel. My wife and I were able to quarantine together.

So that’s what happened to us. You can’t predict this and it’s the chance you take cruising. Can’t wait for our next cruise and the second leg of our Rotterdam cruise will not go in our memory book as a great cruise!

Curious...if one's symptoms are basically "that of a head cold",  is going for a Covid test while on-board basically an optional thing?  I assume so, but I wonder how many people would do that, vs. how many would just prefer not to.  With Omicron symptoms being so minor for most vaxxed/boosted people, I suspect there are lots of people walking around without even realizing they have it.

1 hour ago, CruisinShips said:

Curious...if one's symptoms are basically "that of a head cold",  is going for a Covid test while on-board basically an optional thing?  I assume so, but I wonder how many people would do that, vs. how many would just prefer not to.  With Omicron symptoms being so minor for most vaxxed/boosted people, I suspect there are lots of people walking around without even realizing they have it.

We were on a back to back. Day six of first leg all who were staying on board for following week all had to report to Hudson Room for a Covid test. Your directed to return to your cabin and wait 30 minutes. No call your negative. In my case phone rang ten minutes after test. 

I pretty much have a history of chronic sinusitis and allergies. I was just starting to have minor symptoms that morning. Was glad they tested me before I spread more of it around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Has anyone heard whether HAL medical has the anti-virals the CDC recommends "elderly" and otherwise "at risk" people take within 5 days of test positive?

I have read numerous Threads on this topic, but have never seen anyone given an anti-viral by ship staff on any line. I would hope this might change in the future. Some of the frustration over on the Princess board is that with the number of cases some ships have, medical care has been hard to come by in some cases. I would be very interested if a HAL spokesperson could address if anti-virals will become available.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, syesmar said:

I have read numerous Threads on this topic, but have never seen anyone given an anti-viral by ship staff on any line. I would hope this might change in the future. Some of the frustration over on the Princess board is that with the number of cases some ships have, medical care has been hard to come by in some cases. I would be very interested if a HAL spokesperson could address if anti-virals will become available.

I intend on asking our DR for a prescription for Paxlovid for our cruise out of Amsterdam in June. 

22 minutes ago, Laminator said:

I intend on asking our DR for a prescription for Paxlovid for our cruise out of Amsterdam in June. 

Will/can you get it filled before you go? My understanding is that prescriptions written by US doctors can't be filled overseas. I'm not sure if the ship would even carry it. But it would be good to know.

1 hour ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Will/can you get it filled before you go? My understanding is that prescriptions written by US doctors can't be filled overseas. I'm not sure if the ship would even carry it. But it would be good to know.

My intention is to have it filled before we leave the US. If she writes the prescription I will be able to get it filled. 

53 minutes ago, Laminator said:

My intention is to have it filled before we leave the US. If she writes the prescription I will be able to get it filled. 

I would be very interested to hear back if she’s able to prescribe it in advance. I used to have a doctor that would write antibiotics prescriptions for me prior to traveling as I was prone to need them. My understanding is that prescribers have to make some attestations for the anti-virals, so I’m quite curious how this would work in anticipation with travel.

All the Best!

Edited by syesmar

I asked my physician to give me a prescription for Paxlovid in case I needed to get it filled while on our upcoming cruise. She said they were not allowed to write a prescription unless the patient had tested positive. I wish we could find out if it is carried on the ship.

11 minutes ago, syesmar said:

I would be very interested to hear back if she’s able to prescribe it in advance. I used to have a doctor that would write antibiotics prescriptions for me prior to traveling as I was prone to need them. My understanding is that prescribers have to make some attestations for the anti-virals, so I’m quite curious how this would work in anticipation with travel.

All the Best!

Our cruise is in early June. My next appt. with my DR is April 21st. I will let you know what she says. I know the antiviral was very tough to come by during the last surge. I believe it is more widely available now since the covid numbers have come down. I am a recently diagnosed diabetic so I think she may prescribe it for me as that puts me at a much higher risk to a negative outcome if I do catch Covid. 

• Thanks 1

My guess is the ships may be carrying limited quantities of Paxlovid, but if they're carrying it, they would likely ration the drug and give it to those they perceive as higher risk. In the US currently, rationing is no longer necessary due to there being enough to go around (at least with current Covid levels).

There is no way (IMHO) a cruise line spokesperson would want to touch this topic or confirm the ships have Paxlovid other than to say something general such as, we ensure proper medical care is available to passengers who need it ... or similar.

There are many reasons they wouldn't want to make a statement about carrying the medicine (not enough for everyone who might ask for it, fear that cruisers would relax protocols/precautions, and more). I'm assuming the ships might also carry it should crew members become ill,  as a major sick-out/outbreak among crew/serious illness  would attract attention and cause concerns for passengers and crew alike. From a purely business standpoint, the cruise lines would also want crew healthy and back to work ASAP, so another reason why Paxlovid might be on the ships. This is all just one person's guessing, so take it with a grain of salt!

Edited by alj1208

I couldn't find HAL's information about what Covid treatments are available on board, but if you look at some of the other cruise lines, you'll see language like the passage below from Princess. Reading between the lines, if they're carrying ventilators (I assume so from the statement, "equipment and procedures... across the full clinical spectrum including intensive care."), they're probably carrying Paxlovid, IMHO.

Every ship has dedicated medical staff (doctors, nurses, etc.) operating ship medical centers to serve guests and crew on board.

They are up to date on the latest COVID-19 scientific status and trained on all relevant COVID-19 procedures.

We’ve enhanced our shipboard medical capabilities with the necessary staffing, medications, supplies, oxygen, equipment and procedures to triage and treat multiple COVID-19 cases across the full clinical spectrum including intensive care.

We’ve also expanded onboard medical roles to include staff responsible for overseeing public health issues, including outbreak prevention and response.

The medical staff requirements and equipment on each ship meet or exceed the guidelines from the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) Healthcare Guidelines for Cruise Ship Medical Facilities.

On 4/11/2022 at 10:17 AM, WriterOnDeck said:

Has anyone heard whether HAL medical has the anti-virals the CDC recommends "elderly" and otherwise "at risk" people take within 5 days of test positive?

Supposedly they have all the suitable therapeutics to handle Covid cases.

• 3 weeks later...