Oceanview Cafe back to self serve?

lv2cruisgrl

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The whole post was a joke (lol).  The majority of pax aren't sailing in suites and the ones who do most likely aren't visiting the buffet very often if at all.

My bad, I missed it... LOL

Thank you..

bon appetit and bon voyage

I´d rather have no crew serving but do it myself.

During my last cruise, staff was often overwhelmed with special requests and guests approaching their stations from several directions, not caring about guests from the other directions or even putting up a queue. Crew also made several mistakes with the orders.

Only positive aspect for me are no more food battles and "I want the best part" traces...

Edited by Nemanoxer

3 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

I´d rather have no crew serving but do it myself.

During my last cruise, staff was often overwhelmed with special requests and guests approaching their stations from several directions, not caring about guests from the other directions or even putting up a queue. Crew also made several mistakes with the orders.

Only positive aspect for me are no more food battles and "I want the best part" traces...

Been on four X sailings, at the buffet 80% for breakfast and maybe 50% for lunch if I was on the ship.  Never seen a customer with a "special request" nor seen a "mistake" made by the crew; could you be more specific?  I have seen the crew serve the person who just arrived in front of them vs the pax behind them waiting longer yet that adds no more than 5-10 seconds over all.

In general folks are either on team find something on my food I'll eat it anyways or team find something on my food, I'm grossed out.  I wish I was on the first team but I'm not.

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2022 at 8:30 PM, PTC DAWG said:

On my most recent cruise, guests still like to stick fingers toward the food to pick out a particular this or that, makes me laugh…

March 26th

Oceanview on Silhouette, lunchtime today. At the cheese and cold cuts counter, the man ahead of me worked his way along reaching under the screen to poke his fingers actually onto the cheese and very close to the meats as he said what he wanted. Why not simply ask and/or point from outside the screen? 

14 hours ago, LGW59 said:

What’s your point?

I guess I am pointless!  Thanks for pointing that out, along with monitoring my comments...someone has to do it!  Actually, whether I am served or not, I will still use P....

Edited by Lastdance

14 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I always use Purell, after getting my food in the buffet and have for years.  Now it is just automatic, regardless if I am served or serve myself.  Am I the only one who does this?  I also wash my hands before entering the OVC too, as it is just normal for me.  My very first time on a cruise ship was an eye-opener for me many years ago.  Actually, it doesn't matter to me if you do or not because I know more than a few do not.  

We not only carry and use Purell after getting our food from a buffet (whether or not self serve) but once we order in a sit down restaurant and have returned our menus we go and wash our hands and make sure not to touch anything on our way back to the table.

• Like 1

As someone who is allergic to Purell and pretty much all the rest of the hand sanitizers, I wash my hands as I enter the bufet area, then I go find a spot  near the hand sink in the seating area.  On the S-Class ships, this means at the aft-Portside.  Then hubby and I take turns getting our plates.  We always set our plate down on the table, then use the hand sink again before eating.  

On Summit, there were a couple of hand sinks as well, I don't recall exactly where.  I look for them, though.  

Just back from a 5 night trip on the RCCL Adventure of the Seas, and I can confirm that self- service is definitely back.  The crew said our cruise was the first one to re-implement it, on this specific ship.  Our ship was at 90% capacity.  I can say that people are back to their old ways.  I watched a handful of children doing the "sometimes" nasty things kids do.  I try to avoid the Windjammer as much as possible. Due to smaller staffing necessary, it will probably only be a matter of time before Celebrity brings it back.