UK Passengers Sailing from Athens with 11 year old unvaccinated?

HarryKane

Hey guys,

We are sailing from Athens in August and information from Princess right now is slightly confusing me.

status -

me - fully vaccinated with booster

wife - as above 

11 year old daughter- unvaccinated. 

now princess say passengers over 5 years old must be fully vaccinated- BUT in the UK we have only just started offering it to 5-11 year olds.

I’ll be honest I don’t want my daughter to have the jab, but my wife does so we’re unsure how to proceed.

BUT is she definitely unable to cruise if she’s unvaccinated?

Also even if she does get the jab - that will only be one jab and princess only allow ‘fully vaccinated’ passengers on board, so has she would only be eligible for one jab again does this mean she won’t be able to cruise as she’s only potentially going to have had one jab!

I know it can all change in august - any passengers flying from UK don’t even need jabs etc at moment, I’m just struggling to see what we’ll need to be able to board!

Edited by HarryKane

Things may well change by August but I doubt they will change enough to let your daughter cruise unvaccinated. If you are adamant that she not be vaccinated then probably cruising is not in her future.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, HarryKane said:

Hey guys,

We are sailing from Athens in August and information from Princess right now is slightly confusing me.

status -

wife - as above 

now princess say passengers over 5 years old must be fully vaccinated- BUT in the UK we have only just started offering it to 5-11 year olds.

I’ll be honest I don’t want my daughter to have the jab, but my wife does so we’re unsure how to proceed.

Also even if she does get the jab - that will only be one jab and princess only allow ‘fully vaccinated’ passengers on board, so has she would only be eligible for one jab again does this mean she won’t be able to cruise as she’s only potentially going to have had one jab!

I know it can all change in august - any passengers flying from UK don’t even need jabs etc at moment, I’m just struggling to see what we’ll need to be able to board!

My extended family should currently be on the Sky for a 2 week Med cruise but as the grandchildren didn’t comply with the current vaccine rules we couldn’t go. Unfortunately it’s as simple as that 🙁

7 hours ago, HarryKane said:

Hey guys,

status -

wife - as above 

Is the J&J vaccine available to you? One dose is considered fully vaccinated that is if you want her to get the shot.

I’ll have to see what the UK government is handing out to 5-11 year olds. No idea what it is but most (with the exception of J&J) require two shots so unsure.

it’s tricky because we aren’t cruising from the USA but it seems princess are using the rules that apply for cruises out of the USA.

In the recent past Princess ex-UK cruises  required vaccinated passengers 18 years of age or older.  They also had a special rule for unvaccinated children to have a PCR test at the cruise terminal.  However two weeks prior to sailing they emailed all passengers who had a child on the booking and cancelled their cruises with a refund.  People were not happy.  I should think trying to board in Athens will be a bit more problematic if you fly there initially.

Regards John

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, john watson said:

In the recent past Princess ex-UK cruises  required vaccinated passengers 18 years of age or older.  They also had a special rule for unvaccinated children to have a PCR test at the cruise terminal.  However two weeks prior to sailing they emailed all passengers who had a child on the booking and cancelled their cruises with a refund.  People were not happy.  I should think trying to board in Athens will be a bit more problematic if you fly there initially.

Regards John

Oh no! 

Yes that's what we are doing John, we are flying to Athens on the Thursday and then plan to embark on the Saturday.

I might leave it a month and the see if anything changes? I guess princess would issue a 100% refund if we couldn't cruise as daughter wouldn't have had both jabs, or even one?

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

Things may well change by August but I doubt they will change enough to let your daughter cruise unvaccinated. If you are adamant that she not be vaccinated then probably cruising is not in her future.

Im not 100% adamant, it's just that I really dont see the point. My daughter had covid in january, was tired and had a bit of a cold for a day or two and was then absolutely fine - so really dont want to give her anything unnecessary. 

4 hours ago, HarryKane said:

Im not 100% adamant, it's just that I really dont see the point. My daughter had covid in january, was tired and had a bit of a cold for a day or two and was then absolutely fine - so really dont want to give her anything unnecessary. 

She may not be as lucky the next time......Different strains, different reactions. There are definitely kids in hospitals with COVID.

• Like 2

The NHS website suggests that children can  get a first dose of vaccine immediately the turn 5 years of age.  Generally they can get the second dose 12 weeks after the first dose.  If they are at risk or live with elderly people at risk etc. this period is reduced to 8 weeks.

Regards John

• Haha 1