Anchorage to Vancouver

alanasgpa

Anchorage to Vancouver: I will be selling on the Grand princess Anchorage to Vancouver when we get to the airport to fly back to Los Angeles do we need to show any type of Covid test before flying into the states if so will Princess supply the test on the ship

As of now the U.S. requires a covid test to fly into the states from another country. Go to health protocols section  on Princess website for their statements regarding testing if required to fly back to a passenger's home country. They do not supply the test (for return travel) on board. 

Edited by erber

25 minutes ago, erber said:

As of now the U.S. requires a covid test to fly into the states from another country. Go to health protocols section  on Princess website for their statements regarding testing if required to fly back to a passenger's home country. They do not supply the test (for return travel) on board. 

To be a bit more complete, Princess may not supply the return travel test on board but they do supply it at the dock after you disembark. From the Princess web-site:

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered within the timeframe required prior to travel.

Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs and exit the terminal for testing. Subject to availability, COVID-19 tests will be administered within or just outside the terminal. Antigen test results are available in approximately 30 minutes and PCR test results are available in approximately 60 minutes. Plan your post-cruise travel arrangements accordingly.

We encourage guests to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites for the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still on board, Princess has partnered with Optum so that before traveling to the ship U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to their homes in three business days or less. Guests can take these tests on the ship, using MedallionNet to complete the required, video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides help administer the test and verify the results, usually within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered by email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to receive the test at home before going to the ship.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that. I'm on a cruise right now on Royal Caribbean and having internet issues so I didn't post the actual link or verbiage. Note the website says the tests are "subject to availability." That is somewhat concerning language. We plan to purchase the Optum tests if the U.S. requirement for testing (to fly back to U.S. after being in a foreign country) is still in effect in June when we are traveling.

51 minutes ago, erber said:

Thanks for posting that. I'm on a cruise right now on Royal Caribbean and having internet issues so I didn't post the actual link or verbiage. Note the website says the tests are "subject to availability." That is somewhat concerning language. We plan to purchase the Optum tests if the U.S. requirement for testing (to fly back to U.S. after being in a foreign country) is still in effect in June when we are traveling.

I am on a southbound mid May. I was hoping to see the US drop the rule that requires testing to fly home from  Canada. It is looking like we too will be taking the Optum tests with us.  And heaven forbid any one of our party tests positive as I am still trying to get a handle on quarantine rules in Canada. 

We are doing this same trip, and it's already proving to be a nightmare.  Our airline has changed our flight times to head back home from Vancouver to be an hour and a half earlier, so we're now going to be scrambling to get to the airport, get through customs/immigration, AND get covid tests for everyone.  Because of the tight timing, we are utilizing airport VIP service to manage everything.  When I asked them about setting up covid test appointments they advised me to wait until May, as they have been hearing that the testing requirement will be lifted then.  Obviously this is just hearsay and rumor, BUT I'm hopeful it's accurate, and that there will be one less hoop to jump through.  

Edited by PhotoGal07

19 hours ago, erber said:

That is our concern as well. Princess "should" provide testing but, if they don't we could end up in Canada without the test required to fly home. They should either provide the test or not. The wishy washy language "subject to availability" is disturbing. If we decide to take the Optum tests onboard "just in case" it has a cost of $100 for the tests. (Due to reports of dud tests we would need to get the 3 pack for the two of us in order to be safe.) I haven't decided yet whether to trust Princess or to spend the $100 and possibly not need the stupid tests. I am sooooooooooooo over this. As a US citizen who is double vaccinated and double boostered I don't see why I need to be tested in order to fly home - especially as there are zero test requirements to enter the country by car.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Thrak said:

As a US citizen who is double vaccinated and double boostered I don't see why I need to be tested in order to fly home - especially as there are zero test requirements to enter the country by car.

Agreed,  US citizens fully vaccinated and boosted should not need tested to return to the US from Canada via air. We can drive back to the US with no testing. We can fly within the US with no testing (and without being vaccinated!).

• Like 4

I agree with you Thrak and Buckeye. I pray somehow the U.S. testing requirements for International air travel back into U.S. are dropped. It really makes no sense. We can fly domestically with no testing; we can enter many other countries now by air with no testing requirements; and we can drive across the border into Canada or back to the U.S. from Canada with no testing requirement. It is made more ridiculous by the fact that many covid testing sites are being eliminated. So maybe we have to buy Emed tests to take before returning to the U.S. 

And for me the testing requirment to go on the cruise in the first place is complicated by the Canada 72 hour rule instead of 3 days requirement. It is impossible for me to get a PCR test on the Sunday prior to my Wednesday cruise because of the 4 hour time difference between Anchorage and Florida as well as the fact I won't be boarding until after 4 pm Anchorage time. All I can say is either a testing site needs to be open on Memorial Day for me to get either a rapid antigen or rapid NAAT test  or we will have to buy the Emed tests to get on the cruise ship   Time will tell. 

20 minutes ago, erber said:

All I can say is either a testing site needs to be open on Memorial Day for me to get either a rapid antigen or rapid NAAT test  or we will have to buy the Emed tests to get on the cruise ship   Time will tell. 

Not much time left. We board in 19 days.

Thrak, let us know how it goes for you!!!! Good luck! Maybe there will be a miracle and in 2 weeks the U.S. will drop the testing for international air travel back to the U.S. 🙏

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

That is our concern as well. Princess "should" provide testing but, if they don't we could end up in Canada without the test required to fly home. They should either provide the test or not. The wishy washy language "subject to availability" is disturbing. If we decide to take the Optum tests onboard "just in case" it has a cost of $100 for the tests. (Due to reports of dud tests we would need to get the 3 pack for the two of us in order to be safe.) I haven't decided yet whether to trust Princess or to spend the $100 and possibly not need the stupid tests. I am sooooooooooooo over this. As a US citizen who is double vaccinated and double boostered I don't see why I need to be tested in order to fly home - especially as there are zero test requirements to enter the country by car.

Huh? Reason: You can drive alone in contained vehicle. When you fly, others are all around you. How is this difficult to understand?

17 minutes ago, generichandle said:

Huh? Reason: You can drive alone in contained vehicle. When you fly, others are all around you. How is this difficult to understand?

I may be wrong but I believe you can also enter the US from Canada via Bus or Rail. Neither of those is "by yourself" and they don't require testing. Only flights require the test.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I may be wrong but I believe you can also enter the US from Canada via Bus or Rail. Neither of those is "by yourself" and they don't require testing. Only flights require the test.

I have to agree, they should require testing too.

2 hours ago, generichandle said:

I think the hard to understand part is I must be tested to fly from YVR  to SEA.  But not from SEA to YVR. Not even flying cross country from SEA to NYC.   

6 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Agreed,  US citizens fully vaccinated and boosted should not need tested to return to the US from Canada via air. We can drive back to the US with no testing. We can fly within the US with no testing (and without being vaccinated!).

Actually, given the flights back to South Carolina from Vancouver, we are doing just that. We will rent a car and drive down to Seattle to spend the day before flying back the following day.

2 hours ago, mjmalino said:

Actually, given the flights back to South Carolina from Vancouver, we are doing just that. We will rent a car and drive down to Seattle to spend the day before flying back the following day.

And in hindsight that is exactly what I should have done. We are sort of locked in with the air now. I have been looking at cars this week, I can only find one way rentals with Avis. is that who you used? And wow, the price!

19 hours ago, PhotoGal07 said:

We are doing this same trip, and it's already proving to be a nightmare.  Our airline has changed our flight times to head back home from Vancouver to be an hour and a half earlier, so we're now going to be scrambling to get to the airport, get through customs/immigration, AND get covid tests for everyone.  Because of the tight timing, we are utilizing airport VIP service to manage everything.  When I asked them about setting up covid test appointments they advised me to wait until May, as they have been hearing that the testing requirement will be lifted then.  Obviously this is just hearsay and rumor, BUT I'm hopeful it's accurate, and that there will be one less hoop to jump through.  

You could consider doing a proctored home antigen test while still aboard if your home country accepts them (USA does)

8 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

You could consider doing a proctored home antigen test while still aboard if your home country accepts them (USA does)

I have been advised that the wifi unfortunately not the best, and it would be rather difficult to do a video call for 4 tests and actually keep the wifi strength up enough for it to be uninterrupted.  

1 hour ago, PhotoGal07 said:

I have been advised that the wifi unfortunately not the best, and it would be rather difficult to do a video call for 4 tests and actually keep the wifi strength up enough for it to be uninterrupted.  

Well, you would do them one at a time. 4 appointments. But yes, it could be a concern. 

Edited by Buckeye10640

3 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Well, you would do them one at a time. 4 appointments. But yes, it could be a concern. 

Yes, but the problem is that you still need 15 minutes uninterrupted.  And we would still need to do this 4 times.  Those who have done Alaska in the past have reported that the signal strength is not strong enough for smooth and uninterrupted video calls.  I'm not sure what happens if the video cuts out midway through, but I'm guessing the doctor can't claim they supervised the test and verify your results. 

2 hours ago, PhotoGal07 said:

Yes, but the problem is that you still need 15 minutes uninterrupted.  And we would still need to do this 4 times.  Those who have done Alaska in the past have reported that the signal strength is not strong enough for smooth and uninterrupted video calls.  I'm not sure what happens if the video cuts out midway through, but I'm guessing the doctor can't claim they supervised the test and verify your results. 

Yeah understand that concern. Another option is if  you have  cell service in canada (we did for verizon and should for tmobile) could do them as soon as the ship docks. For me that kinda defeats the purpose though because i want to know the day before. 

• Like 1