Holland America Zaandam - no balcony??

traveltripper

Have the vista suite on the Zaandam been retrofitted pre or post covid?  Is it still bathtub or have they install showers?  Is there still a curtain being used like a room divider?  And have they change to a flat screen TV or still the older heavy box type TV.  Sorry for so many questions but from the pictures I can find this ship’s decor needs a desperate update.

12 hours ago, tvlgoddess said:

Have the vista suite on the Zaandam been retrofitted pre or post covid?  Is it still bathtub or have they install showers?  Is there still a curtain being used like a room divider?  And have they change to a flat screen TV or still the older heavy box type TV.  Sorry for so many questions but from the pictures I can find this ship’s decor needs a desperate update.

One typically does not sail HAL for trendy decor.  But for solid, if often fusty, value and the travel experience itself. Yes, please look at the dates of the photos. Most ships have been refreshed over the past few years.  But you will not find the same level of glitz on most HAL ships. Just more traditional and comfortable, unless you stick to only their very newest builds.

• Like 3

On 4/14/2022 at 7:21 PM, traveltripper said:

Hey all, we are wanting to do the HAL Canada trip from Boston, end in Montreal. We want this specific ship since it goes to Montreal, the others don't. Problem is, no standard balconies! Unless we pay another $1000 per person for a suite.

We've cruised a lot before and usually get a balcony. I'm struggling with the idea of just a window. Thoughts?

We are early 50s and haven't had a trip in 3 years!

We did this itinerary in 2019 , oceanview on Dolphin Deck. Two decks up and you are outside , on a wide open promenade deck. Been on the R and S class ships for most of our cruises and love them. The Zaandam is a nice ship. Comfy library, the rear decks on deck 3, 6 and 7 as well as the possibility to get to the bow area and the observation area on deck 6 forward and of course the Lido and sports and sun deck gives you a lot of outdoor space.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I was also shocked to see the difference in price between ocean view and "suite." Especially since the "suite" cabin is definitely not a suite.  I would fault HAL for false advertising. But if you want a balcony, especially for easy access to fresh air during a 9 day cruise, you can take a chance and wait till the last day or two when the "suites" if still available are offered through your travel agent at a greatly reduced price.

If you want to have a room with a balcony it’s Vista suite and above like everyone has said and the price jumps quick a bit.  The Zaandam started sailing and from what I read the retrofit was only a few reupholstered chairs and new carpet in some areas.  The Vista suite still has a tub and shower curtains - I cringed every time I think of that and the old box TV that’s not interactive.   And on top of that you are paying top $$$.

• 4 months later...

We are thinking about 3339 on Zaandam and concerned about noise from above. Anyone have any input? I saw some posts of people staying in 3339 and saw pics on halfacts but wasn't sure about any noise issues from above. Appreciate any info. Thanks

3 hours ago, cwd79 said:

We are thinking about 3339 on Zaandam and concerned about noise from above. Anyone have any input? I saw some posts of people staying in 3339 and saw pics on halfacts but wasn't sure about any noise issues from above. Appreciate any info. Thanks

I was the one who posted the photos of 3339 on halfacts. We spent 23 days in this cabin in 2018.

Most of the time this cabin was great. Loved the location and how easy it was to get out to the promenade deck. The bathroom had also just been updated with the big shower which was very nice. I will mention that the cabins on Deck 3 are a bit smaller than ocean view cabins on Deck 1 and 2. 

As for noise...the only time we had issues was towards the end of our cruise. For several nights when we were in rougher seas, there was a loud banging in the ceiling. The cabin is directly below the Wajang Theater which at the time was being used for America's Test Kitchen demonstrations. I thought perhaps there was some cabinet door banging, but was told everything was locked up when not being used. Crew came to check out the problem, but at a time when we were docked so there was no noise then. The sound only affected us for a few nights when the ship was rocking a lot.

Here is a link to my blog post from when we initially had the issue:  https://mysouvenirmemories.blogspot.com/2018/04/sea-day-7.html

We had booked the cheapest inside guarantee cabin for this cruise so we were more than happy to have been upgraded to this cabin. 

Edited by AryMay
  • Like 1