Canada and Colonial America cruise - July 23, 2022

shopgirl151

On 4/16/2022 at 11:21 AM, CineGraphic said:

Your first foreign port of call.

Uh, I didn't think that is the case at all.  I would suspect final disembark.  Never did it like that in Carr. or Europe.  Is Canada different?  

17 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

Uh, I didn't think that is the case at all.  I would suspect final disembark.  Never did it like that in Carr. or Europe.  Is Canada different?  

If, for example, on a Pacific coastal, the first port of call in Canada is Victoria with disembark in Vancouver, Customs & Immigration will take place in Victoria and you will disembark as if arriving domestically in Vancouver.

• Thanks 1

We did a similar but shorter cruise in 2017 that boarded in New York.  Our first foreign port was Saint John just like your cruise.  My memory is very vague, but I seem to remember the cabin steward collected all passports for the Customs people to inspect and then returned them the next day.  We never actually had to "go" through anything, it was all done behind the scenes, so to speak.  This was before Covid so it may be different now.

The real chore was coming back into the US.  It was set up so you could go through Customs in Toronto instead of your home airport.  We had to fly from Quebec to Montreal and then to Toronto.  The Customs Hall was a long, long walk and seemed to take us in circles almost back to where we started.  NowTHAT I remember; it was such a crazy day.

Oops, my bad.  Just now see you are traveling from Canada.  I have not sailed in that direction, but if I read it right you board in Fort Lauderdale?  You should go through customs there at the airport after arriving.  And then Canadian customs as you arrive in Saint John.  I can't say how exactly that's done for returning citizens but I have heard people being paged to a certain room on the ship for this very purpose.

Edited by Blondilu

23 minutes ago, Blondilu said:

We did a similar but shorter cruise in 2017 that boarded in New York.  Our first foreign port was Saint John just like your cruise.  My memory is very vague, but I seem to remember the cabin steward collected all passports for the Customs people to inspect and then returned them the next day.  We never actually had to "go" through anything, it was all done behind the scenes, so to speak.  This was before Covid so it may be different now.

Yes, pre-covid there is a declaration card to fill out, along with the attached instructions.  If you are good to go you won’t get a call for CBSA to have a little chat with you.  Once they clear the ship you can disembark without any further processing.  I imagine the process will be the same post-covid with, perhaps, not having to fill out a declaration card as you’ll have filled out ArriveCAN.  I believe the web version of ArriveCAN allows for the customs declaration but the app does not.