Paying for cruise with credit card?

52 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Back on topic...we just do an online electronic transfer to our TA;  usually this is for the balance of a cruise, or airfares, etc.  We usually go to see her in person for the initial cruise deposit, because we sit down and nut out all the various flight possibilities, etc.  I do all our overseas and airport hotel reservations through (usually) booking.com.  Your husband just needs to realise how much easier it is.  If it's security he's worried about, I think we all had those initial reservations years ago.  Now though, I shudder when I recall how I would telephone the wages break-up (for our business) every week to our Bank, then drive over and collect that large sum in all its denominations.  Same time, same day, every week.  Now that was not secure.  Our son now runs the business (3rd generation) and simply presses a button once a week.  Same action for the group certificates at the end of the financial year.  I used to spend hours, sometimes days, trying to balance exactly so I could write out the certificates😬  Things have definitely changed for the better.  Tell your husband it's a bit like washboards by the river and washing machines in the laundry.

I can try talking to him. When I was running my business, he used to pick up cash (many thousands of dollars) so I could pay staff. That didn't seem to worry him too much, but he has been concerned that if we do internet banking and one of our computers is hacked, the person could have access to our bank account.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:11 PM, cruiser3775 said:

A question for experienced Australian cruisers. The balance of my payment for a Princess cruise is due soon. I have two choices. One is to pay by credit card and the other is a "POLi payment", which will save the credit card fee.  I don't need to pay by credit card in order to get the attached travel insurance, as I have a separate policy.  But I am concerned about two things: one is the possibility of foreign currency exchange fees  and the other is the extra protection of the credit card payment if something should go wrong.   What would you do?

Had a look at a Princess booking that has a balance owing, this booking was made direct with a personal Princess Travel Assistant (which quite a few of us use) and saw no reference to “POLi Payment” ? 
Did you book through the Australian site?

FDE3BB32-8491-45D2-9660-B8F00A4CB08E.jpeg

Edited by Porky55

28 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I can try talking to him. When I was running my business, he used to pick up cash (many thousands of dollars) so I could pay staff. That didn't seem to worry him too much, but he has been concerned that if we do internet banking and one of our computers is hacked, the person could have access to our bank account.

Most banks can now send one time pins to your phone as an extra layer of security. Plus you can set up direct debits of regular bills like electricity which makes things much easier when doing longer cruises.

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

Most banks can now send one time pins to your phone as an extra layer of security. Plus you can set up direct debits of regular bills like electricity which makes things much easier when doing longer cruises.

We have been direct debit for the regular bills (rates, electricity, phone) for many years. We started this 20 years ago when we started travelling for extended periods.

22 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have been direct debit for the regular bills (rates, electricity, phone) for many years. We started this 20 years ago when we started travelling for extended periods.

So your DH is OK with direct debits, where your banking details are held by the biller, but not any other form of electronic banking? Sorry, Aus Traveller, but your DH is weird!!! 🤔😀

• Haha 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

So your DH is OK with direct debits, where your banking details are held by the biller, but not any other form of electronic banking? Sorry, Aus Traveller, but your DH is weird!!! 🤔😀

Yeah, you're telling me. 🤣 I suppose his reasoning is that if the entities we pay with a direct debit dip further into our account, it would be traceable, but if a scammer from overseas had access to our account, they could empty it. We could possible try to get the bank to cover the loss, but it would be stressful. He doesn't do stress very well.

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yeah, you're telling me. 🤣 I suppose his reasoning is that if the entities we pay with a direct debit dip further into our account, it would be traceable, but if a scammer from overseas had access to our account, they could empty it. We could possible try to get the bank to cover the loss, but it would be stressful. He doesn't do stress very well.

I think most banks do cover you for fraud and also they have similar safety nets like the credit cards do so will contact you if they see any unusual transactions.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:23 AM, Aus Traveller said:

My dinosaur of a husband won't do on-line banking. He goes into the bank. I am sure that ANZ charges $28 for an electronic transfer. Yesterday we transferred a significant sum to one of our sons who needs it for emergency home repairs. Our son's bank (Suncorp) doesn't charge a fee, but that doesn't help us.

Time to get with the century and do it yourself then if he can't adapt. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lissie said:

Time to get with the century and do it yourself then if he can't adapt. 

This occasion when we copped a $28 fee is unusual. Normally, on the rare occasion we need to go to the bank - maybe to get some cash - my husband does it. In our division of duties, he does this.