expedition dress code

amerswed

• 2 months later...

I do not believe a jacket is required.  Certainly not a tie.  Slacks (yes, even dockers) and long or short sleeve shirts were fine.  That said, on our expedition, I still brought a blue blazer and wore it a few times.

Yes the dress code on Expedition ships is more casual. One step down from Classic ships. No formal. Most nights are casual. There will be at least one Informal night, usually the second night for the Captain's welcome dinner. Informal means that men should wear a jacket and dress shirt (and pants obviously), but do not need a tie.

If you are on facebook join the Silversea Passengers group and look at the files. There is one for dress codes.

I think the itinerary might make a difference here. I found the Wind in the Med a bit more dressy than the Cloud in the Arctic, for example. For men, a long-sleeved dress shirt would be worth taking, as a polo might not feel quite up to snuff for dinner in the main restaurant or La Terrazza. Ties/Blazers would be more optional.

41 minutes ago, RachelG said:

My husband wears slacks (usually dockers) and a nice long sleeve dress shirt to dinner every night on the expedition ships (and we have over 120 nights onboard these).

And another 12 coming up next year! 😄 Can't wait to see you there!

6 hours ago, alolewis said:

Can you elaborate on this, is a jacket a tie required/suggested on an Expedition Cruise on Silver Wind?  Or will docker pants and a polo type shirt suffice?

Where are you going?  Agree with Fauxnom that the itinerary might make a difference in the "average" level of dressiness, but you probably won't be out of place in dockers and a button-down shirt, if you split the difference. We've done 6 expedition cruises w/ SS in all different locations and climates, and we've never needed formal wear. 

If you WANT to take a blazer and tie, by all means do so. If you DON"T want to, don't take one. You will not be thrown overboard either way. I usually do take these items, because I like to. And a tie takes up zero room. And a blazer is handy in colder climates (for warmer climate cruises I take a lighter linen blazer).

So, I dress pretty much like RachelG's husband. Except I don't wear the cowboy hat. 🤠

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1