Need help ASAP re: Covid and QM2

Sweetpea711423

On 4/21/2022 at 8:04 AM, Sweetpea711423 said:

Hello.  I received an email notification this morning from Cunard regarding my April 24 transatlantic crossing on Queen Mary 2 from Southampton.  It states that they are currently managing a number of Covid-19 cases onboard the Queen Mary 2, and talks about need to wear masks, etc.

It goes on to state that, “[h]aving read this notification, we encourage you to assess your individual risk factors for developing severe COVID-19 disease. If you have concerns about joining the ship and you wish to transfer, postpone or cancel your voyage on Queen Mary 2, you will be given a 100% refund on all monies paid, including on any company-booked shore experiences.”

The fact that they are offering refunds, and not just Future Cruise Credits, made me concerned about the actual situation onboard.  Does anyone know how many Covid cases there are, are they passengers and/or crew, etc.?  Any information about the status of things on the ship would be greatly appreciated, as we are scheduled to fly to England from the US tonight, and I am immunocompromised so have a bit higher level of concern than others might.

Thanks in advance for your help.

We are set to sail this Sunday, May 1 on QM2 from NY and have not any communication from Cunard like this.  I wonder if that means cases are down?  I would have liked to option of a full refund if there are a lot of cases on board. 

17 minutes ago, Thorswife59 said:

We are set to sail this Sunday, May 1 on QM2 from NY and have not any communication from Cunard like this.  I wonder if that means cases are down?  I would have liked to option of a full refund if there are a lot of cases on board. 

Give it a couple more days. You'll notice @Sweetpea711423 received the notification three days before their departure date. I thought I read somewhere those embarking on the previous Fort Lauderdale and New York departures may have received their notifications even closer to those departure dates.

Please do keep us informed as to whether you receive that notification. I'm sure a fair number of others on this forum will be interested to hear about that one way or another.

Edited by bluemarble

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Give it a couple more days. You'll notice @Sweetpea711423 received the notification three days before their departure date. I thought I read somewhere those embarking on the previous Fort Lauderdale and New York departures may have received their notifications even closer to those departure dates.

Please do keep us informed as to whether you receive that notification. I'm sure a fair number of others on this forum will be interested to hear about that one way or another.

Will do!

• Thanks 1

Hi.  Thought I would report back.  My husband and I returned yesterday from our crossing on the QM2 from Southampton to NY, having spent 2 nights in Southampton in advance of the crossing.  We had a wonderful time, and were glad we decided to go.  

I spent a fair amount of time in the cabin (we were in a Queens Grill cabin, so it was pretty comfortable).  I watched a number of the speakers give their talks on the tv in the cabin, which was very convenient.  Went for pre-dinner cocktails a few times, listened to live music in various venues, went to a few shows, had breakfast and dinner in the restaurant.  My husband spent a fair amount of time in the Connoisseur's Lounge smoking a pipe or cigar.  Masks were worn by all staff at all times.  Masks were also worn by passengers while walking around the ship and at all venues, other than when eating and drinking.  Limit of 4 people in elevators.  Most people seemed to be compliant with the requirements.  Oh, I wanted to mention, because someone had asked in another Cunard thread, that there were signs in the shop for rental of men's formal wear.

Have no idea whether there were any positive cases onboard.  There were no announcements, nor were there any obvious signs of anyone being positive.  Testing was provided by Cunard at the port prior to boarding.  The wait for receiving test results and then boarding was too long, and they seemed surprisingly unorganized.

Anyway, as I said, glad we went.  However, I did just cancel our September Silversea cruise (final payment was due in a few days), because I am concerned that there is still too much in flux to feel comfortable making the payment at this time.  I'm hoping that things will be better and clearer in September, and that there will still be availability then.

• Like 10

On 5/2/2022 at 9:43 PM, Sweetpea711423 said:

Hi.  Thought I would report back.  My husband and I returned yesterday from our crossing on the QM2 from Southampton to NY, having spent 2 nights in Southampton in advance of the crossing.  We had a wonderful time, and were glad we decided to go.  

I spent a fair amount of time in the cabin (we were in a Queens Grill cabin, so it was pretty comfortable).  I watched a number of the speakers give their talks on the tv in the cabin, which was very convenient.  Went for pre-dinner cocktails a few times, listened to live music in various venues, went to a few shows, had breakfast and dinner in the restaurant.  My husband spent a fair amount of time in the Connoisseur's Lounge smoking a pipe or cigar.  Masks were worn by all staff at all times.  Masks were also worn by passengers while walking around the ship and at all venues, other than when eating and drinking.  Limit of 4 people in elevators.  Most people seemed to be compliant with the requirements.  Oh, I wanted to mention, because someone had asked in another Cunard thread, that there were signs in the shop for rental of men's formal wear.

Have no idea whether there were any positive cases onboard.  There were no announcements, nor were there any obvious signs of anyone being positive.  Testing was provided by Cunard at the port prior to boarding.  The wait for receiving test results and then boarding was too long, and they seemed surprisingly unorganized.

Anyway, as I said, glad we went.  However, I did just cancel our September Silversea cruise (final payment was due in a few days), because I am concerned that there is still too much in flux to feel comfortable making the payment at this time.  I'm hoping that things will be better and clearer in September, and that there will still be availability then.

I realized that I forgot to mention that we were also careful with social distancing.  Our table in Queens Grill was next to the windows on one side, and a decent distance from the 2 diners on the other side.  We went for drinks before dinner less frequently than we would normally, and made sure to sit away from other people.  Same with when we went to hear live music after dinner and any shows -- we sat far away from others, regardless of how that impacted our view of the stage/musicians.  If for some reason it didn't seem to us that adequate social distancing was possible we simply left.  While not ideal, we didn't think it negatively impacted our overall experience to any significant degree.

• Like 5