1st Back to Back

WindinmySails

We are sailing on Jewel from Vancouver to Seaward and back again beginning of May.  I've never been on a back to back, very excited, but wondering with recent COVID protocols,, and the like, what would this look like.  We will be staying in the same cabin, unless the upgrade fairy helps us.  

What do we need to take with us when we will be leaving in Seaward.  I heard that with Royal, on a back to back, you need to pack up and go back, like a new cruise.  Any help is appreciated!

You won't need to pack up.  On the last day of the first week, they will have you meet with any other B2B'ers in a lounge somewhere on board, you'll be given the info in a flier in your cabin the night before.  They will give you a sticker if you want to get off the ship & walk around a bit in town; when you return to the terminal, show them your sticker & you will jump most of the line.  They just need to issue you a new card for the week.

Take your ID when you get off the ship, of course.

Also, they will give you a no-cost COVID test on the next to last day of the first week.  Again, the info will be delivered to your cabin.  

Warning, once you do a B2B, it's hard to do just a single week 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To add a bit to what @trivimpsaid, US Customs and Border Protection procedures normally  require that you (not your luggage) disembark at the end of the first cruise and go through an immigration check . You will then be permitted to embark after USCBP clears the ship. Once in a while, depending on port facilities, they may decide to conduct the immigration check in a lounge on board the ship rather than on the pier .

Also, in my experience your new cruise room key card will be issued on  board at guest services before you disembark for the immigration check, not on the pier, but that could vary by port.

Usually there's a note in the Freestyle Daily a couple of days before the end of the first cruise asking anyone who is on the next voyage to come to guest services to tell them. It's not clear why that's necessary since they should know who's on the next cruise, but I just dutifully report in as requested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Usually there's a note in the Freestyle Daily a couple of days before the end of the first cruise asking anyone who is on the next voyage to come to guest services to tell them. It's not clear why that's necessary since they should know who's on the next cruise, but I just dutifully report in as requested.

Too funny, Paul! 

8 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I was wondering about this.  I wasn't sure how "smart" their systems were to identify B2B passengers.  Is there anything to do in advance other than just booking the two stand-alone reservations?

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I was wondering about this.  I wasn't sure how "smart" their systems were to identify B2B passengers.  Is there anything to do in advance other than just booking the two stand-alone reservations?

It would be more convenient (for you) if you have the same cabin number on both cruises, I don't know how easy this is to do/find unless booking through a PCC or a travel agent (but you probably already knew that). 😉 

On the "second embarkation day" you will also get a sticker on your shirt  that states that you are "In transit and still on vacation", and this easily identifies you when coming back to the pier if going on a tour that day, so that you pass all lines without any "hick-ups" and can get onboard the ship very similar to how you do in the rest of the port on the itinerary. 

image.jpeg.000b8c0dce7a4fc98a29afdbc61c522f.jpeg

We are doing our 3rd B2B in January 2023 on the Breakaway out of NOLA. I strongly recommend calling NCL in advance to make sure your reservations are “linked in their system “. Our first experience, I just assumed they were linked, but they were not. This led to multiple problems and 5 trips to guest services on the first day. Our new key cards didn’t work to get in the cabin. Our dining package we bought wasn’t transferred to the second leg, etc. We had to change cabins. The second experience was much better (same cabin), but I had to follow up with calls to NCL three times to make sure they were linked (first 2 calls they weren’t). Third call was 1 week before embarkation and they were linked. First leg went perfectly, tested negative for covid on last sea day (Bliss Lounge)before arriving back in NOLA and new key cards opened door to our room, but it couldn’t use key card to get drinks. Had to get new key cards issued at Guest Services, but that was the only small hiccup. So you can avoid some of the problems by calling ahead to make sure the reservations are linked. Now we are hooked and 7 days are just not long enough, but 14 days is perfect.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

It would be more convenient (for you) if you have the same cabin number on both cruises, I don't know how easy this is to do/find unless booking through a PCC or a travel agent (but you probably already knew that). 😉

Yep.  I understand that this is the best way to do it.  I've only booked two B2Bs so far and was able to find common cabins that were available on both cruises.  We just cancelled the first and the other isn't until 2024, so it will be a while.  NCL's new web interface does make it easier to find common cabins, as we can now see all of the available cabins (not just the 12 or so that we used to be able to see).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paf910 said:

We are doing our 3rd B2B in January 2023 on the Breakaway out of NOLA. I strongly recommend calling NCL in advance to make sure your reservations are “linked in their system “. Our first experience, I just assumed they were linked, but they were not. This led to multiple problems and 5 trips to guest services on the first day. Our new key cards didn’t work to get in the cabin. Our dining package we bought wasn’t transferred to the second leg, etc. We had to change cabins. The second experience was much better (same cabin), but I had to follow up with calls to NCL three times to make sure they were linked (first 2 calls they weren’t). Third call was 1 week before embarkation and they were linked. First leg went perfectly, tested negative for covid on last sea day (Bliss Lounge)before arriving back in NOLA and new key cards opened door to our room, but it couldn’t use key card to get drinks. Had to get new key cards issued at Guest Services, but that was the only small hiccup. So you can avoid some of the problems by calling ahead to make sure the reservations are linked. Now we are hooked and 7 days are just not long enough, but 14 days is perfect.

Did you have one or two reservation numbers?  Our 1st B2B is in October and am finding this information valuable.

I do have the same cabin for both legs of the cruise.  My travel agent helped make this happen.  Good to know to ask them to link the reservations.  Can I do this on board?  

Those of you that say 7 days is now no longer enough.....kind of worried about that. 🙂

I had 2 separate reservation numbers. I would definitely try to get them linked as a back to back before getting on the ship. Nobody wants to stand in long lines multiple times at guest services on the first day of your cruise. Trust me on that. I did manage to keep my cool and was polite but firm by the 5th time. I did ask to explain my situation in a private manner and was taken to a private room, where I laid out my issues in a way that was considerate to the staff member. All my issues were resolved and My husband and I received daily on board credits, daily phone calls, and special treats even tho I never asked for anything other than our issues resolved. That just goes to show you handeling issues in a calm and adult manner will get you further than being hostile.

• Thanks 1