Heated Discussion

Heated discussions going on in a few Marella cruise forums at the moment about that same old topic. Dress code. 

Someone asking if they can wear trainers, jeans and shorts to dinner. 

Some saying dress as you would going out to a nice restaurant at home.

Others saying wear what you like it's your holiday you paid for it.

Some saying they enjoy getting dressed up as it's the only chance they get to wear their nice clothes.

One man complaining that women can wear sandals but men cant.

One guy ( new to cruising )  just told a lady "  if you want to dress up go with another cruise line "

Marella what have you done ? !

• Haha 1

It must be contagious!. There is a dress code discussion on the P&O forum as well. I wonder if a tipping topic will appear as well. 😁

I think the difference with P&O is they have designated venues where the evening dress code applies so if you want to go 'posh' you can at least avoid the great unwashed, especially on their big ship 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

With you on that NN, don't like how cruising is going but it is available now to a wider clientele who, understandably, have different idea's. We have looked at Regent Seven Seas out of Southampton, with 2Intense, but it's a little expensive. 😊

Maris & Tomas' cabins look amazing. Don't see them coming back to Marella now. Marella's loss as they were so popular with the guests. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, davecttr said:

It must be contagious!. There is a dress code discussion on the P&O forum as well. I wonder if a tipping topic will appear as well. 😁

I think the difference with P&O is they have designated venues where the evening dress code applies so if you want to go 'posh' you can at least avoid the great unwashed, especially on their big ship 😉

Maybe I'm just being a bit old fashioned but I still believe in making a bit of an effort to go to dinner. I also like to tip my cabin stewards and waiters. Yes tipping is another talking point on the forums with many saying they don't as it's include in the price. Which of course it is but we always like to give a little extra as they all work so hard.

• Like 2

Hi Nancy.

This dress up/down choice topic is still pretty divisive and I don’t think everyone will ever agree on what’s right or wrong. Marella’s guidelines say smart casual and that’s good enough for me. As an aside Marella cruises are advertised as “All inclusive” and it would be nice to know that includes food ,drink,,tips and passengers.

Anyways keep well.😉

I will get back to the rest of my “Great unwashed” mates.😳😂😂😂

Edited by Brummijam
Tears in my eyes.😢
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can only comment from a male perspective, but my observations on 'personal hygiene' in toilets on cruise ships, (even during Covid times) confirms to me that smartness of appearance and hygiene aren't directly linked, so perhaps the 'great unwashed' aren't who we thought they were.

Marella are attracting younger passengers with different views on what constitutes 'smart' and we either accept that times have changed, or move to other operators. The comments I have seen on forums from 'new cruisers' is that they loved it, so its unlikely to return to 'the old days'.

Edited by howmuch!
  • Like 4

It will be a pity if dress code ' falls ' any further. Perhaps have dress code rules for MDR and any form of dress in buffet, as with other cruise lines. Having said that things will certainly have to get back to how they were, pre Covid, before we ever cruise again. Cannot be fussed testing each day etc 

3 hours ago, ormy said:

It will be a pity if dress code ' falls ' any further. Perhaps have dress code rules for MDR and any form of dress in buffet, as with other cruise lines. Having said that things will certainly have to get back to how they were, pre Covid, before we ever cruise again. Cannot be fussed testing each day etc 

Certainly with you on that ormy, think it's, unfortunately, the future and something we have to accept. We have looked at other cruise lines in particular Regent who now have 2Intense onboard, one of our favourites from Tui, but it's very expensive, over £14k, so we also may have done our last cruise 😩

At the end of the day? TUI has to make decisions on what's best for them, not us. It's all about making money for the Board members. Through the pandemic they have kept afloat (scuse the pun)  but they are ££££ in debt. Do they want 10 x people who are in Tux or 100 people in casual dress, I know where my money would be 😉

• Like 3

Just back from the ten day repositioning cruise and saw no problems with the dress to impress night at all, The people that wanted to do the tux/ kilt, sparkly dress thing in the MDR were  happily seated/ mingling with the other diners who were all dressed “smart casual” as per TUIs Official guidelines 
I still can’t understand why anyone would think it’s ok to want to segregate diner’s when  they are wearing clothing that the cruise company deems as appropriate.🤷🏻‍♂️

As an aside  there were people that were in Tux, cocktail dress etc eating in the buffet on dress to impress night, should they have been made to dine in the MDR? 🤔

Its obvious that cruising has changed so we are left with a choice we accept it or we don’t but it is a choice.🤷🏻‍♂️

We have had  an amazing cruise it was pretty much as we remembered it pre pandemic, just the crew wearing masks when we left on Friday.

Just enjoy your cruise, you deserve it.😉

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Brummijam said:

Just back from the ten day repositioning cruise and saw no problems with the dress to impress night at all, The people that wanted to do the tux/ kilt, sparkly dress thing in the MDR were  happily seated/ mingling with the other diners who were all dressed “smart casual” as per TUIs Official guidelines 
I still can’t understand why anyone would think it’s ok to want to segregate diner’s when  they are wearing clothing that the cruise company deems as appropriate.🤷🏻‍♂️

As an aside  there were people that were in Tux, cocktail dress etc eating in the buffet on dress to impress night, should they have been made to dine in the MDR? 🤔

Its obvious that cruising has changed so we are left with a choice we accept it or we don’t but it is a choice.🤷🏻‍♂️

We have had  an amazing cruise it was pretty much as we remembered it pre pandemic, just the crew wearing masks when we left on Friday.

Just enjoy your cruise, you deserve it.😉

Good post BJ

• Thanks 1

The problem is some people interpret this wrongly and some have turned up to the MDR in swim shorts and vests. Then there are ones who know exactly what it means and deliberately flaunt the guidelines for each restaurant and look at people as much to say " Go on I dare you to comment ". 

There was always a note at the bottom of the cruise news with the dress code for that evening. I guess some people don't read it. 

As for the dress to impress night Marella say "  It's the chance to get suited and booted but if you don't want to take part there is always the buffet "

Just been looking at a video that someone on a Marella cruise forum has posted. Guys leaning on the deck rail watching the sailaway.  Lots of " Bum Cleavage " on show. Not a good look, lol !

😂🤣🤮

Marella dress code.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Hi Nancy.My above post was my observations during our latest trip. As I said everyone was dressed as per TUI guidelines and getting along with each other as it should be.

No swim shorts or costumes in the MDR and even if there were surely it’s for Marella staff to enforce and not the diners

You have quoted  “As for the dress to impress night Marella say "  It's the chance to get suited and booted but if you don’t want to take part there is always the buffet

And then pasted what Marella really have put into their speil and that doesn’t mention the buffet?

What was very obvious on this cruise was the absence of the tut tutters I assumed  that this was because everyone seemed determined to have a good time especially after the dreadful past two years. As I mentioned in my earlier post,  Cruising is changing so it’s a case of take it or leave it.🤷🏻‍♂️ Fortunately for me I can and will accept the way it’s going so that I can enjoy my holidays.

We must never forget that choice is one of our greatest freedoms.

Keep well.😉

Edited by Brummijam
Spellink
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

Hi Nancy.My above post was my observations during our latest trip. As I said everyone was dressed as per TUI guidelines and getting along with each other as it should be.

No swim shorts or costumes in the MDR and even if there were surely it’s for Marella staff to enforce and not the diners

You have quoted  “As for the dress to impress night Marella say "  It's the chance to get suited and booted but if you don’t want to take part there is always the buffet

And then pasted what Marella really have put into their speil and that doesn’t mention the buffet?

What was very obvious on this cruise was the absence of the tut tutters I assumed  that this was because everyone seemed determined to have a good time especially after the dreadful past two years. As I mentioned in my earlier post,  Cruising is changing so it’s a case of take it or leave it.🤷🏻‍♂️ Fortunately for me I can and will accept the way it’s going so that I can enjoy my holidays.

We must never forget that choice is one of our greatest freedoms.

Keep well.😉

Hi Brumijam,

The information on the dress code that I pasted is from the 2020 / 2021 Marella brochure page 25. Unfortunately I don't have a more recent one as they are very difficult to come by.

The other information that you have underlined is from the Cruise News.

Dress code for Dress to Impress is as above but states " Should you prefer something a little less formal, come along to the reception, then dine in the Buffet Restaurant "

Glad you had a good cruise and everything went well but as had been said before cruises can vary from week to week with different guests on board. Unfortunately some people have experienced people dining in swim shorts and vests. 

The fact that this topic crops up so often on Marella cruise forums on social media proves that it is a bone of contention among guests. 

I am not a tut tutter just someone who has enjoyed many Thomson / Marella cruises for over 20 years and feel sad at the drop in standards. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Hi Brumijam,

The information on the dress code that I pasted is from the 2020 / 2021 Marella brochure page 25. Unfortunately I don't have a more recent one as they are very difficult to come by.

The other information that you have underlined is from the Cruise News.

Dress code for Dress to Impress is as above but states " Should you prefer something a little less formal, come along to the reception, then dine in the Buffet Restaurant "

Glad you had a good cruise and everything went well but as had been said before cruises can vary from week to week with different guests on board. Unfortunately some people have experienced people dining in swim shorts and vests. 

The fact that this topic crops up so often on Marella cruise forums on social media proves that it is a bone of contention among guests. 

I am not a tut tutter just someone who has enjoyed many Thomson / Marella cruises for over 20 years and feel sad at the drop in standards. 

Scanned from the 22/23 brochure 😇

smart.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi RR .

No mention of being banished to the buffet there.🤔😂

Hi Nancy.

I would never be so rude to call  you a tut tutter but on some previous cruise’s there have been a few believe me.

Stay safe.😉

Edited by Brummijam

58 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

Hi RR .

No mention of being banished to the buffet there.🤔😂

Hi Nancy.

I would never be so rude to call  you a tut tutter but on some previous cruise’s there have been a few believe me.

Stay safe.😉

Hello again Brummijam, 

" No mention of being banished to the buffet there "

As I mentioned in my previous post. The the reference to people who don't wish to take part in the Dress to Impress and would prefer something more casual can come along to the reception then dine in the buffet restaurant was in the CRUISE NEWS.

What RR has posted is the same as I posted in my original post and is from the BROCHURE.

Glad you don't think I'm a tut tutter. 🙂  I'm no spring chicken but I'm no old fuddy duddy either. I love my Marella cruises. Love the bands, love the quizzes, love the shows, love the crew. Just a bit disappointed in the attitude of some passengers who ignore the guidelines.

Sleep well  😴

• Like 1

This topic will rumble on for years to come. People now pay a lot of Money for the cruise; a lot more than we did 20 years back. I do agree about men not wearing sandals and Jean type shorts in the MDR, but at the end of the day it's choice. No Difference with ladies wearing short (mini) skirts and men wearing smart shorts all got legs on show 😁

• Like 1

Yes perhaps it’s time to knock this thread on the head (until it shows up again)😂😂

I will always be a champion for the scruffy buffet contingent🤦🏻‍♂️😂😂😂so until next time…

up the smart casual.

Nancy …..please don’t be offended by anything I post most of it is just having a laugh.

( Even if I am right)😘