Live from the Caribbean Princess: Panama Canal - Apr 26 to May 14 - SF to FTL

Ken the cruiser

On 4/29/2022 at 11:43 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

I guess I’m going to have to pop by Vines and see what they offer “by the glass” that at least comes close to Moscato. Thanks!

We found the staff in Vines on both Sky and CP to be very helpful.  One thing on Sky - staff in MDR had no wine list, just the suggestions on the menu.  They weren't very helpful.  When we mentioned this to our guy in Vines he said anything they had on their list we could order in MDR.  OK, from then on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LImom said:

@KenTheCruiserDont you get priority tendering for being in a suite?

Well there are many, many threads on tendering.  You will have to experience for yourselves but let me say; "best laid plans".  Patience must be packed for tendering operations.

Cheers

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, GonzoWCS said:

It is amazing that over 100 years later the old locks work and are maintained as engineered.  A absolute feat!  Can't wait to go through the new locks in the future

Cheers

Kerry does a great job as a narrator through the locks.

We enjoyed it, out on the decks and on our balcony.  
Enjoy…

• Like 2

I have long wanted to do the Canal.  DW not so much.  So I'll live vicariously until I can wear her down.  😀

Two quick questions, please.

1.  Who is doing the astronomy lectures?  They look fascinating.  We took the kids to Kennedy Space Center years ago and saw their re-enactment of Appolo 11.  When it was over and the crowd moved to the museum there were many of our generation (I'm 67) wiping away tears of pride.

2.  I use a Kindle but DW reads the old fashioned way.  She always leaves a couple to donate to the ship library.  Sadly, most ships don't have a library any more.  On CP in March there was a small nook for that purpose in the Internet Cafe.  Just a couple of chairs, small table and a few bookshelves.  If you happen by that way could you please see if it is still there?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, waterbabyfish said:

I wonder if the vibration in the palm dining room was fixed with the drydock? It was terrible last month!

Yes and so was the noisy vibration up on the Lido in the back when we were disembarking different ports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes and so was the noisy vibration up on the Lido in the back when we were disembarking different ports.

How's the general rockin' and rollin'?  Our March cruise was the roughest we've ever had.  The sea itself didn't seem that bad so it made me wonder if it was partly mechanical.  Heck, I walk better drunk than I could sober on that cruise.

Edited by cltnccruisers
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

I have long wanted to do the Canal.  DW not so much.  So I'll live vicariously until I can wear her down.  😀

1.  Who is doing the astronomy lectures?  They look fascinating.  We took the kids to Kennedy Space Center years ago and saw their re-enactment of Appolo 11.  When it was over and the crowd moved to the museum there were many of our generation (I'm 67) wiping away tears of pride.

2.  I use a Kindle but DW reads the old fashioned way.  She always leaves a couple to donate to the ship library.  Sadly, most ships don't have a library any more.  On CP in March there was a small nook for that purpose in the Internet Cafe.  Just a couple of chairs, small table and a few bookshelves.  If you happen by that way could you please see if it is still there?

Thanks.

Fred Cink does astronomy lectures

but most times he only  knows he will be scheduled as a speaker a short while in advance of cruise

Sometimes he books his own way and offers to speak and his offer is accepted 

cruisecritic screenname is teecee60

Hope ok to post this!

Edited by Kiran
Typo corrections
  • Thanks 1

Library report : it is still just  a nook but first day of cruise there were about 200 books at least including guidebooks coffeee table books

now very slim pickings so books must all be residing in cabins rather than on library shelves

Edited by Kiran
Typo corrections

Just now, Kiran said:

Library report still a niik but first day if cruise about 200 books at least including guidebooks coffeee table books

now very slim pickings so books must all be residing in cabins rather than on library shelves

Thanks for both responses.  DW hasn't decided which books she'll leave onboard.  Normally very good condition hardcovers but she has a couple of paperbacks she may do instead.

Spent part of the summer of '72 up your way in Wellfleet.  Lots of fun with the gang and all the ponds.  I imagine Provincetown is still "eclectic" - kind of like Key West.  

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Kerry does a great job as a narrator through the locks.

We enjoyed it, out on the decks and on our balcony.  
Enjoy…

Which side of ship shadier when?

my mom not mobile so plan for her to sit on bench on deck 7 to hear narration 

1 minute ago, cltnccruisers said:

Thanks for both responses.  DW hasn't decided which books she'll leave onboard.  Normally very good condition hardcovers but she has a couple of paperbacks she may do instead.

Spent part of the summer of '72 up your way in Wellfleet.  Lots of fun with the gang and all the ponds.  I imagine Provincetown is still "eclectic" - kind of like Key West.  

We almost never make it up to Provincetown as it takes several hours because of summer traffic

Have only visited P town twice in 30 years living on the Cape

Nantucket once

Marthas Vineyard once

we live near the bridges of Cc and fear summer traffic to Falmouth , never mind to Provincetown!

we are usually just doing the treadmill of daily life - work, kids, dogs

• Like 1

The eldest daughter wanted to join the local astronomy society when she was 12 and once a month they would have guest lecture speakers with powerpoint slides. Shes at uni now so we no longer attend, but seeing your pics Ken has brought back some lovely memories. Were doing the panama canal next year on the Emerald, fingers crossed Fred Cink is there 🙂

• Like 2

This morning our “excursion’s” tender took about 40 minutes from ship to shore where it took only about 15 minutes this afternoon to get from shore back to ship. That extra 25 minutes occurred when we were waiting in the queue to go into the little harbor as it appears the local authorities were only allowing one fully loaded tender in at a time. 

Here’s where we sat for 25 minutes waiting to go into the little harbor. It was definitely toasty in side, but we really felt sorry for those 10 or so folks who want to ride up top where there was no shade as it was quite hot and humid today. 

0A61F187-7A47-424C-8511-8141F379D44A.thumb.jpeg.c25345a1574755a65a6674e149cbcb36.jpeg

Then when we finally got to the pier, a certain number of passengers had been “randomly” selected to go through customs, so they got off first.

58E899FA-0BB3-45D2-851F-F225CEE1E25F.thumb.jpeg.e8e0d8de9cc2a1f8a11b360ed92c5a8b.jpeg

One person, though, that had been “traced” and subsequently tested earlier, was later denied boarding the tender. I say that because she was in line in front of us and then was pulled aside when they scanned her medallion, and we never saw her again. 

• Thanks 1

All together it took 3 hours from when we were supposed to originally board the tender at 7:30 until we finally boarded our tour bus at 10:30. But, all was good as it was a big new bus with great AC! It then took another 40 minute drive to Gatun Lake, but we then boarded our tour boat and we were on our way! And, yes, there were plenty of monkeys to see! 😁

0DF70D64-B299-4CDD-ABE9-3F2DD785F265.thumb.jpeg.036de311aaf1c6351cc3f4b20a82c208.jpeg

774E6681-63E0-473B-9296-3300E4955B05.thumb.jpeg.37ff5587443febac540e2fb819c2dd50.jpeg

1F63D5D3-4634-4A3B-9BB0-310300F6BBD9.thumb.jpeg.80cc9f7d3a7224fe86739f2d66ac1eaf.jpeg

B00455B5-FC23-4B77-89BA-F6E635B6F650.thumb.jpeg.6a56d95639b3b3147c7079f90a6dfd12.jpeg

2D48D8FD-91E1-40D2-8A24-1630201175FD.thumb.jpeg.6d0fc1795ed7d2d72b1230183b990b18.jpeg

A lizard on the dead tree limb

D66956F3-D63A-47CA-A246-7B366F022E93.thumb.jpeg.e31d6721acd7c764a76b65e67788cd84.jpeg

Little tree bats

A8A506E1-BDA6-4787-BFA0-85D6ED08B0E3.thumb.jpeg.817971d3b1af4e575a2f66acb4d9702e.jpeg

C267EEFE-353A-4A31-B61C-CDEA0F6BDB6A.thumb.jpeg.c4d9193e6116dfd4692a217205d84e7d.jpeg

ACA51998-ACAD-4080-8AC5-F2F2FE4F9E41.thumb.jpeg.4a007d94c79a3b7a434f16638aab2a9e.jpeg

CC0BAE64-26FA-4581-90EA-F9E0E4087B2D.thumb.jpeg.2df048eff805e061fd77a997f8d18738.jpeg

9F75A150-E031-44D4-92FE-331270539651.thumb.jpeg.7e179993f5b72fbc7f442b3c507151bb.jpeg

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This morning our “excursion’s” tender took about 40 minutes from ship to shore where it took only about 15 minutes this afternoon to get from shore back to ship. That extra 25 minutes occurred when we were waiting in the queue to go into the little harbor as it appears the local authorities were only allowing one fully loaded tender in at a time. 

Here’s where we sat for 25 minutes waiting to go into the little harbor. It was definitely toasty in side, but we really felt sorry for those 10 or so folks who want to ride up top where there was no shade as it was quite hot and humid today. 

0A61F187-7A47-424C-8511-8141F379D44A.thumb.jpeg.c25345a1574755a65a6674e149cbcb36.jpeg

Then when we finally got to the pier, a certain number of passengers had been “randomly” selected to go through customs, so they got off first.

58E899FA-0BB3-45D2-851F-F225CEE1E25F.thumb.jpeg.e8e0d8de9cc2a1f8a11b360ed92c5a8b.jpeg

One person, though, that had been “traced” and subsequently tested earlier, was later denied boarding the tender. I say that because she was in line in front of us and then was pulled aside when they scanned her medallion, and we never saw her again. 

Never saw her again?  That sounds kind of ominous.

6 hours ago, LImom said:

@KenTheCruiserDont you get priority tendering for being in a suite?

Yes, that is true. But in our case on this cruise it didn’t matter as we were on an early Princess excursion and the tenders were 2 hours late due to complications with the ship getting clearance for any passengers to go ashore. Interesting note though. Once they loaded our tender with groups 8-10, as groups 1-7 had already been loaded on 3 earlier tenders, there were a few seats open. So I would imagine those spots were filled with the next elite/suite passengers queued in line on deck 5 (not on a Princess excursion) to go ashore. 

5 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

Thanks.

I believe the astronomy lectures are being presented by Fred Cink, and, yes, the library is still in the same spot with a small selection of books and games.

2 hours ago, Kiran said:

Which side of ship shadier when?

my mom not mobile so plan for her to sit on bench on deck 7 to hear narration 

I was on the port side going opposite of you.  So, starboard if you’re on the ship now.  But, of course the time of day matters.  If you’re on 7, just cross over from the inside if you need too. It takes a long time to go through, so you’ll have plenty of time to move her if you need to.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

How's the general rockin' and rollin'?  Our March cruise was the roughest we've ever had.  The sea itself didn't seem that bad so it made me wonder if it was partly mechanical.  Heck, I walk better drunk than I could sober on that cruise.

You were on our cruise!  You’re so right!

Rough seas.  3 o’clock was wine time!!

lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Oh God. I hope they didn’t leave her there?

My biggest fear.  Or, maybe she never got off the ship?  Let’s hope.

Edited by PacnGoNow

2 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

It’s been pretty calm most of the time other than when we left SF Bay, which is always choppy. I’m sure a lot of folks are enjoying the calmness, especially those that are prone to seasickness. But there is just something about 10-15 foot swells every once in awhile right as we’re getting into bed that just adds a little extra to make a cruise exciting, if nothing else than to just remind us we’re still on the high seas! 😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1