Saint John, NB Canada Waterfront Development & Construction

JessyCruises

52 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Is the Pink Hop on Hop off running.  I am having trouble with their website 

It is offered as one of the excursions on our September RC cruise, for $44, available both days we are there.  I think that's a reasonable price; if you will be on a cruise it might be worth pursuing through your cruiseline.

3 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

It is offered as one of the excursions on our September RC cruise, for $44, available both days we are there.  I think that's a reasonable price; if you will be on a cruise it might be worth pursuing through your cruiseline.

Does not seem to be available on Oceania.

13 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Does not seem to be available on Oceania.

Assuming your ship will be at the main terminal (Marco Polo), there will be buses right there, as well as a stand inside the terminal, with maps and very pleasant and helpful staff.  If your advance planning doesn't work out for you, I'd be comfortable saying you can just do it when you get there.  (I do understand wanting info in advance, though!)

1 minute ago, shipgeeks said:

Assuming your ship will be at the main terminal (Marco Polo), there will be buses right there, as well as a stand inside the terminal, with maps and very pleasant and helpful staff.  If your advance planning doesn't work out for you, I'd be comfortable saying you can just do it when you get there.  (I do understand wanting info in advance, though!)

Thanks, first time in St. John.  Ship is in port for a long day. If you have been there before, any other suggestions?

7 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Thanks, first time in St. John.  Ship is in port for a long day. If you have been there before, any other suggestions?

Not to be nit picky, but it is Saint John, not St. John 🙂

There is lots to see and do within a short walking distance uptown.  There are also lots of taxis if you want to travel further.  I know because on cruise days I can hardly get out of my parking garage because of the traffic 🙂

• Like 2

Hi JessyCruises. I have just started looking on CC for information on Saint John for our cruise next month. I have been researching online more recently. Do you know what it the closest place to rent a car? There will be six of us and we are thinking that will be the most fun as we have done that in the past. We like being able to stop where we want and for as long as we want. What do you think?

Thanks for you reply.

On 8/5/2023 at 6:00 PM, butterfly55 said:

Hi JessyCruises. I have just started looking on CC for information on Saint John for our cruise next month. I have been researching online more recently. Do you know what it the closest place to rent a car? There will be six of us and we are thinking that will be the most fun as we have done that in the past. We like being able to stop where we want and for as long as we want. What do you think?

Thanks for you reply.

There is a Avis/Budget on Water Street just down the street from the Marco Polo/Diamond Jubilee Terminals - maybe a 2 minute walk.  There is also an Enterprise Rental Car that is not very far either - about 25 or 30 minutes.  If you are docking at Long Wharf, they would just be a bit longer of a walk

Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 8.11.27 PM.png

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2023 at 7:14 PM, JessyCruises said:

There is a Avis/Budget on Water Street just down the street from the Marco Polo/Diamond Jubilee Terminals - maybe a 2 minute walk.  There is also an Enterprise Rental Car that is not very far either - about 25 or 30 minutes.  If you are docking at Long Wharf, they would just be a bit longer of a walk

Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 8.11.27 PM.png

Thank you very much JerseyCruises. That is a perfect map and will be very helpful. I will look up all those places.

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/9/2023 at 3:52 PM, JessyCruises said:

You are welcome!

Hi JessyCruises, change of plans. We are having trouble renting a car for six people. Now we are trying to use the bus. I think I have found the closest place to pick up the bus which is City Hall but I am having trouble planning a route. Do you know anything about bus routes? Some of the places we want to see and visit are: Carleton Tower, Fort Howe Lookout, Imperial Theatre, Cathedral of Immaculate Conception and Rockwood Park. I think many of these are withing walking distance of the port. My biggest concern is Rockwood Park. Is it on any bus route or do we have to take a taxi? That would not be a problem. Thanks for your help.

On 8/23/2023 at 11:30 AM, butterfly55 said:

Hi JessyCruises, change of plans. We are having trouble renting a car for six people. Now we are trying to use the bus. I think I have found the closest place to pick up the bus which is City Hall but I am having trouble planning a route. Do you know anything about bus routes? Some of the places we want to see and visit are: Carleton Tower, Fort Howe Lookout, Imperial Theatre, Cathedral of Immaculate Conception and Rockwood Park. I think many of these are withing walking distance of the port. My biggest concern is Rockwood Park. Is it on any bus route or do we have to take a taxi? That would not be a problem. Thanks for your help.

Sorry but I have not taken the city bus here in 20+ years and then it was only once.  It looks like this site allows you to enter in a start and end point and it will tell you how to get there.  I do not think we have a great bus system so you might want to look at taxi options - there will be a ton of them around.  https://saintjohn.ca/en/transit/routes-stops-and-schedules

If there are no mobility restrictions in your party, the Imperial Theatre and Cathedral are not that far from the port and can easily be walked. The theatre is about 10-15 minutes from the port but it is all uphill.  The Cathedral is about a 10 minute walk from the theatre and it is all flat I think.  Fort Howe is about a 20 minute walk from the Cathedral but would include walking on a highway overpass but it does have sidewalks.  The walk between Fort Howe & the port is probably 25-30 minutes and most of is along Harbour Passage walking trail.  

Rockwood Park is further and Carleton Martello Tower is on the West side so both would require a taxi or bus.  The buses would probably need multiple transfers.

Edited by JessyCruises