New York Passenger Ship Terminal - Parking

Mike A

We will be sailing out of NY on the Joy on May 29th. As in the past we will be driving and parking at the lot on top of pier 88 or 90.

The last time we sailed we were forced to drop off the family and luggage and then drive down the ramp go around the block and come back to the 3rd floor of Pier 88 and park. Other times we paid at the top of pier 90 or 92 & parked at 88. We then took the elevator down to the checkin terminal. Does anyone who has sailed out of NYC (Getaway-Gem) this year know the current procedure? I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Mike A

You can drop luggage and family off at bottom of pier 88 and then drive around block and back to go up to parking.  The other option is go directly to parking.  Drop family at entrance of parking, park and go down to bottom on elevator together.  Just got off cruise in NY yesterday.

Hi Japit. Welcome Back and I hope you had a great cruise!!!

Thank you for the prompt response. Your 2nd option was the one I was hoping for. I assume you could pay on top of 88. One question, at the elevator, are there porters? We will be 5 people (2 cabins) with about 8-10 bags.

Thanks again for your assistance🙂

Mike A

They were when we got there.  I think it was mainly porters that had just taken passengers to their vehicles going back down.  (I can't say for sure, because we did the drop off thing, because my mom needed a wheel chair )If not, I really don't think it would be that difficult because once you get to the bottom, porters are everywhere.

Edited by japit

11 minutes ago, japit said:

They were when we got there.  I think it was mainly porters that had just taken passengers to their vehicles going back down.  (I can't say for sure, because we did the drop off thing, because my mom needed a wheel chair )If not, I really don't think it would be that difficult because once you get to the bottom, porters are everywhere.

That makes perfect sense!!!!  We will drive right up to the Parking Lot. We expect to be early. Worse case I will go downstairs and find a porter and have him come back up. Thanks again for your assistance !!!

Mike A

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mike A said:

That makes perfect sense!!!!  We will drive right up to the Parking Lot. We expect to be early. Worse case I will go downstairs and find a porter and have him come back up. Thanks again for your assistance !!!

Mike A

It makes no sense to drop people off and drive around only to park, unless they have mobility issues. Drive up the ramp, pay, then drive and park. After your vehicle gets sniffed by the dog their is usually room to pool over by the elevator and get you luggage and passengers off. Park you car and take the elevator down to the porters 

• Like 1

one oddball piece of advice from recent experience.

it is possible - unlikely, but possible - that you could depart from one pier, let's say 88, and arrive at another, let's say 90. no inherent problem there, but people often forget where they parked... and since there are two nearly identical parking decks at these two piers... if you arrive at 90, as the gem did yesterday (alongside the getaway), after having left seven or ten days earlier from the other pier, you might walk around in a panic thinking your car had been stolen, when it was actually parked safely in the adjacent parking structure.

• Like 2

You make a good point and it could happen to us as it did in May 2017. We left from Pier 88 on the Gem the week before Fleet Week and returned to 90 the week of Fleet Week and had to walk back with bags to our car on 88. 
Coincidentally this year we are leaving on 5/29 during Fleet Week 2022. I have read they will have Navy Ships docked on the South Side of both 88 and 90. Hopefully we will leave out of 88 as normal. 
Thanks for your help and comments 🙂

Mike A

• Like 1

I am going to jump on this thread as it relevant . A couple questions as I am Newbie to driving to the pier. Last time I went out if NY I took the train and then a cab, which had its own issues. Lol. 

I am going with my parents and they both have mobility issues so my plan was to drop them off with the luggage then I would park. Is there good signage directing me to the right pier to drop them off as close as possible?  I am also on the May 29th sailing. 

32 minutes ago, sungirl10 said:

I am going to jump on this thread as it relevant . A couple questions as I am Newbie to driving to the pier. Last time I went out if NY I took the train and then a cab, which had its own issues. Lol. 

I am going with my parents and they both have mobility issues so my plan was to drop them off with the luggage then I would park. Is there good signage directing me to the right pier to drop them off as close as possible?  I am also on the May 29th sailing. 

If you drop them off with the porters, you will have to drive around the blocks and then drive up the ramp to park and pay (you have to make a choice at the approach, street level or parking level). 

On 4/25/2022 at 5:29 PM, UKstages said:

one oddball piece of advice from recent experience.

it is possible - unlikely, but possible - that you could depart from one pier, let's say 88, and arrive at another, let's say 90. no inherent problem there, but people often forget where they parked... and since there are two nearly identical parking decks at these two piers... if you arrive at 90, as the gem did yesterday (alongside the getaway), after having left seven or ten days earlier from the other pier, you might walk around in a panic thinking your car had been stolen, when it was actually parked safely in the adjacent parking structure.

Sounds like there is plenty of parking available when leaving out of Manhattan? That has been my concern. Thanks