Foreign currency question

jliaug

I’ll be cruising with Viking end of May (Trade Routes of the Middle Ages) and have a currency question.  I’ll have euros with me but only paper currency as the bank will not issue the coins (one and two euros).  We will need to tip both the bus driver and the excursion agent after each excursion but will only have paper currency.  How do you get change for your paper euros?  Viking rep told me the ship will not give out change and said  to give tips in US dollars.  Has anyone done that before and is that acceptable?

Thanks

Jane

When you arrive at the airport, before you board the ship, consider buying some candy bars, etc to break bigger Euro bills.

Limited currency exchange has been a Viking problem for a while.  In this case, I'd tip in $USD or your own currency.

I would ask at the bars on the Viking ship. People tip in various currencies, in my observation, so they might have a few coins.

Find out if locals tip in the countries you are visiting, and if so in what circumstances and how much, then try to do the same. 

In most countries tipping isn't routine so you may not have a problem. As a previous reply said, buy a cheap item to get change if you thing you might need some. 

17 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Find out if locals tip in the countries you are visiting, and if so in what circumstances and how much, then try to do the same. 

In most countries tipping isn't routine so you may not have a problem. As a previous reply said, buy a cheap item to get change if you thing you might need some. 

He seems to be asking about tour drivers and guides. Viking suggests tipping these people regardless of local custom. Unclear why.

1 hour ago, jliaug said:

I’ll be cruising with Viking end of May (Trade Routes of the Middle Ages) and have a currency question.  I’ll have euros with me but only paper currency as the bank will not issue the coins (one and two euros).  We will need to tip both the bus driver and the excursion agent after each excursion but will only have paper currency.  How do you get change for your paper euros?  Viking rep told me the ship will not give out change and said  to give tips in US dollars.  Has anyone done that before and is that acceptable?

Thanks

Jane

On the Viking Ocean cruises guest services will give you smaller coins for bills.  Don't know about river.

31 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

On the Viking Ocean cruises guest services will give you smaller coins for bills.  Don't know about river.

I just did this a few weeks ago. Guest services carries rolls of 1€ and 2€ coins which they will exchange for paper - we exchanged a 10€ bill there.

7 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

I just did this a few weeks ago. Guest services carries rolls of 1€ and 2€ coins which they will exchange for paper - we exchanged a 10€ bill there.

This^^.

We got coins at guest services also.

For Norway, we never touched a local coin/ currency - used credit cards everywhere. Also used small euro coins and bills for tips.

Edited by CILCIANRQTS

44 minutes ago, duquephart said:

How about turning larger bills into smaller (5 euro) bills?

Never tried it but if guests turn in 5 euro bills for 1 and 2 euro coins, i would think they would have them.  However i suspect most turn in ths larger ones as a 5 euro bill would serve as a tip from 2 people.

First question to ask is do I need to tip? As a Brit, my default setting is no, unless independent research suggests otherwise (not info from a tour operator) an American will be the opposite. 

We get the equivilent of £20 per day in local, and don't expect to use it all. We order it in advance from a supermarket bureau de change, the % cost is high, but actual cost is low, given the saving in time and hassle at destination trying to find ATMs. We change whatever left back when we return. Most European countries have many places where all 'common' currencies can be obtained or changed. Can easily be done on first and last day. Airport places have the worst rates. 

When we have had to use US dollars to tip we will add enough to compensate the guide or driver for the costs of exchanging the money … and of course look at the conversion chart to insure the amount is appropriate!

22 minutes ago, molymoo said:

When we have had to use US dollars to tip we will add enough to compensate the guide or driver for the costs of exchanging the money … and of course look at the conversion chart to insure the amount is appropriate!

Why would you have to use US dollars to tip anywhere outside the US? I've worked out that breakeven conversion for us is 10 US to sterling. 20 US is the minimum we would consider worth the hassle

40 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Why would you have to use US dollars to tip anywhere outside the US? I've worked out that breakeven conversion for us is 10 US to sterling. 20 US is the minimum we would consider worth the hassle

We have been on 18 Viking cruises and some have covered as many as eight different countries and eight different currencies!  Yes, it IS possible to occasionally be stuck with no other option but to tip in dollars.  When we do we try to make sure that we cover any costs both monetary and work wise for them.  These are travel savvy people and most foreign cities that promote tourism have a plethora of exchange facilities and many of our tour guides well know the ones that are honest and reasonable.  
How nice for you to have always been able to manage! 

32 minutes ago, CGinMTL said:

When possible,  if you do tip. You should be using the currency of the country. Usd is not widely used in Europe 

Of course … I did qualify the statement with “when we HAVE to”.  Better $$$ than nothing which is all to often what seems to happen on tours. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, molymoo said:

We have been on 18 Viking cruises and some have covered as many as eight different countries and eight different currencies!  Yes, it IS possible to occasionally be stuck with no other option but to tip in dollars.  When we do we try to make sure that we cover any costs both monetary and work wise for them.  These are travel savvy people and most foreign cities that promote tourism have a plethora of exchange facilities and many of our tour guides well know the ones that are honest and reasonable.  
How nice for you to have always been able to manage! 

Of course we can manage to cope with other countries using their own currency. With the exception of those that have a popular unnoficial second currency, why would anyone expect any other to be OK? 

I can safely say that in 30+ years of international travel I have only ever used US dollars in the US. 

The 10 dollars I mentioned is the actual breakeven cost of conversion US to sterling taking into account conversion, fees, time  parking and fuel. Hence 20 US being the minimum to make it worth the hassle, as I get back £10. 

Edited by KBs mum

As a UK pensioner answering the question on tipping I remember it always being the custom to tip your coach driver when on an excursion even way back in the 50’s.Tipping of anyone else is not necessary generally in the UK unless you have received especially good service.

We would nowadays on a tour routinely tip the guide as well.

A tour guide in Copenhagen told our tour he was happy to receive tips in any currency and saved it all until the amount made it worthwhile to exchange it into local currency.Dollars and Euros being the main ones he said.