Embarkation Day and Sea Day Lunch with UPD on Navigator

Hi All.  I'm sorry but I could not find this specific question asked and answered.

We went ahead and got the UDP for a 3 day Navigator cruise.  Obviously we want to get the most bang for the buck with it, so we plan on Chops one night, Jamie's one night, and Izumi one night for dinners.  I know I need to make reservations for those right away once I am on board.

But please talk to me about lunches.  I thought I read that an embarkation day lunch at one of those venues is also available, should we wish to partake.  If so, how do I know which restaurant(s) offer it, and do I need a reservation?

Same question for the sea day lunch.  How do I know which restaurant(s) are available for that, and do I need a reservation for that also?

Anything else you think I should know?  Sorry for all the questions.

1 hour ago, tensixmom said:

Hi All.  I'm sorry but I could not find this specific question asked and answered.

We went ahead and got the UDP for a 3 day Navigator cruise.  Obviously we want to get the most bang for the buck with it, so we plan on Chops one night, Jamie's one night, and Izumi one night for dinners.  I know I need to make reservations for those right away once I am on board.

But please talk to me about lunches.  I thought I read that an embarkation day lunch at one of those venues is also available, should we wish to partake.  If so, how do I know which restaurant(s) offer it, and do I need a reservation?

Same question for the sea day lunch.  How do I know which restaurant(s) are available for that, and do I need a reservation for that also?

Anything else you think I should know?  Sorry for all the questions.

I'm on a 3 day Navigator next month and I also have the UDP. I can see the 'open' hours in the app for each day at each restaurant.  The only restaurant that shows as open on boarding day for lunch is Jamie's, out of the 'main' ones. It also shows that Johnny Rockets Express and Playmakers should be open as well.  Just go to the app, click on dining, then you'll see 'times' and 'show more' to see the hours for boarding day.  For my sailing, the rest of the week doesn't match the itinerary, so I'll just wait to figure out sea day lunch right after I board, when I'm booking the dinners.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Thanks 1

Question on a similar vein. 

I am on the 4 night cruise for Navigator and was also looking for embarkation day lunch options.  I am not on UDP but was able to book Hooked for embarkation lunch (it was offered on Day 1 and Day 2- Sea Day) on the My Royal Cruise planner but on the app the restaurant shows as only open for lunch on Day 2 only.  I wonder will it be open when we go (not until August 2022)?

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, rockmom said:

I'm on a 3 day Navigator next month and I also have the UDP. I can see the 'open' hours in the app for each day at each restaurant.  The only restaurant that shows as open on boarding day for lunch is Jamie's, out of the 'main' ones. It also shows that Johnny Rockets Express and Playmakers should be open as well.  Just go to the app, click on dining, then you'll see 'times' and 'show more' to see the hours for boarding day.  For my sailing, the rest of the week doesn't match the itinerary, so I'll just wait to figure out sea day lunch right after I board, when I'm booking the dinners.  

Hello rockmom

Hope you had an excellent cruise in May. I'll be on Navigator Thanksgiving week and wanted to pick your brain.

Was Jamie's the only specialty restaurant available for lunch on embarkation day?

Did you happen to inquire specialty restaurants open for lunch on other days? Right now I only see Jamie's and Hooked for day 2 of my cruise, and no specialty restaurants available on day 3.

The times and menu on the app are misleading, and on the website, the fact that they sell lunch packages for Chopped and Izumi is confusing as well.

3 hours ago, _1nc0gn1t0_ said:

Hello rockmom

Hope you had an excellent cruise in May. I'll be on Navigator Thanksgiving week and wanted to pick your brain.

Was Jamie's the only specialty restaurant available for lunch on embarkation day?

Did you happen to inquire specialty restaurants open for lunch on other days? Right now I only see Jamie's and Hooked for day 2 of my cruise, and no specialty restaurants available on day 3.

The times and menu on the app are misleading, and on the website, the fact that they sell lunch packages for Chopped and Izumi is confusing as well.

I think Jamie's was the only one open on boarding day.  Are you doing a 3 day (Ensenada)?  If so, that day 3 is a port day, and on all the ships, most specialty dining is closed during lunch because so many people are off the ship visiting the port.  The only places open during the day when we were in port, other than Loco Fresh, Promenade Cafe and Windjammer, were Johnny Rockets and Playmakers--both places are on the unlimited dining plan.  I stayed on board, but ended up grabbing some food from Windjammer.  I don't eat seafood/sushi, so I ate at Chops and Jamie's.  Both were great.  Hope this helps.  

23 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I think Jamie's was the only one open on boarding day.  Are you doing a 3 day (Ensenada)?  If so, that day 3 is a port day, and on all the ships, most specialty dining is closed during lunch because so many people are off the ship visiting the port.  The only places open during the day when we were in port, other than Loco Fresh, Promenade Cafe and Windjammer, were Johnny Rockets and Playmakers--both places are on the unlimited dining plan.  I stayed on board, but ended up grabbing some food from Windjammer.  I don't eat seafood/sushi, so I ate at Chops and Jamie's.  Both were great.  Hope this helps.  

Yes I'm doing the 3 day to Ensenada.

I figured no specialty dining would be open on Day 3 (port day).

If you can remember if lunch was available at Chops or Izumi on Day 2, that would be very helpful. That would help me determine how bad RC lists their specialty lunch offerings on their webpage.

14 minutes ago, _1nc0gn1t0_ said:

Yes I'm doing the 3 day to Ensenada.

I figured no specialty dining would be open on Day 3 (port day).

If you can remember if lunch was available at Chops or Izumi on Day 2, that would be very helpful. That would help me determine how bad RC lists their specialty lunch offerings on their webpage.

I just pulled my Cruise Compasses out from Day 2 and 3 (I didn't get one for Day 1/boarding day so can't help you there) and here's what was listed as being open:

Day 2, Sea Day:

Hooked, noon till 1:30 pm

Jamie's, noon till 1:30 pm

Johnny Rockets, 11 am until 7 pm

Playmakers, open at 9 am but food available starting at noon, through midnight

Day 3, Port Day:

1 minute ago, rockmom said:

I just pulled my Cruise Compasses out from Day 2 and 3 (I didn't get one for Day 1/boarding day so can't help you there) and here's what was listed as being open:

Day 2, Sea Day:

Hooked, noon till 1:30 pm

Jamie's, noon till 1:30 pm

Day 3, Port Day:

This is very helpful.

Thank you so much

6 minutes ago, _1nc0gn1t0_ said:

This is very helpful.

Thank you so much

I did a search and found a Cruise Compass posted from Day 1/Boarding day of the 3 night sailing from just a couple of weeks ago--the June 24th sailing.  As you can see, the only specialty restaurants open on boarding day were Jamie's and Johnny Rockets, as well as Playmakers starting to serve food at 11:30 am.  

image.png.5d9167063665150a0bdf0fd8930b70e1.png

13 hours ago, rockmom said:

I did a search and found a Cruise Compass posted from Day 1/Boarding day of the 3 night sailing from just a couple of weeks ago--the June 24th sailing.  As you can see, the only specialty restaurants open on boarding day were Jamie's and Johnny Rockets, as well as Playmakers starting to serve food at 11:30 am.  

image.png.5d9167063665150a0bdf0fd8930b70e1.png

@_1nc0gn1t0_, making sure you saw that I found Day 1 for you.  

3 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Yesterday was embarkation day for the Navigator, 3-night, Ensenada sailing...just wanted to tell you we ate at Hooked for lunch.

I literally want to pull my hair out. Lol

Your comment literally contradicts rockmoms posting of the cruise compass from a few weeks back. 

Royal really needs to make their info consistent.

I was suggested on another forum to log into the Royal app and select the current sailing (the one you are on) and look at the dining info.

Currently it states that Day 1 (yesterday for you) only Jamie's was open for lunch), Day 2 (today for you) Jamie's and Hooked is open for lunch, on Day 3 (tomorrow for you) no specialty restaurant is open for lunch.

Can you do me a favor? Can you find out what specialty options are actually open for lunch today? Is it indeed just Hooked and Jamie's? Or is Izumi and Chopped open for lunch as well.

If you don't have the time, no worries.

Thank you for the data point on Hooked being open yesterday.

3 hours ago, rockmom said:

@_1nc0gn1t0_, making sure you saw that I found Day 1 for you.  

Yes thank you for the Day 1 compass.

I compared to the info for the current sailing which bonsai3s is on and it's identical.

But bonsai3s' statement saying that hooked was open on embarkation is making me pull out the little hair that I have left.

1 hour ago, _1nc0gn1t0_ said:

Your comment literally contradicts rockmoms posting of the cruise compass from a few weeks back. 

Both the Compass and the app could be out of date with the reality on the ship, but they are accurate most of the time - you won't know for sure until you show up.

52 minutes ago, _1nc0gn1t0_ said:

I literally want to pull my hair out. Lol

I was suggested on another forum to log into the Royal app and select the current sailing (the one you are on) and look at the dining info.

Currently it states that Day 1 (yesterday for you) only Jamie's was open for lunch), Day 2 (today for you) Jamie's and Hooked is open for lunch, on Day 3 (tomorrow for you) no specialty restaurant is open for lunch.

Can you do me a favor? Can you find out what specialty options are actually open for lunch today? Is it indeed just Hooked and Jamie's? Or is Izumi and Chopped open for lunch as well.

If you don't have the time, no worries.

Thank you for the data point on Hooked being open yesterday.

Today, Day 2, Saturday, only Hooked and Jamies open for lunch...12 - 1:30 pm. Chops and Izumi are closed for lunch.

* Windjammer and El Loco Fresh are popular today. MDR open till 1pm. Playmakers and Sorrentos pizza pretty popular as well. Bamboo Room only had 4 people inside.

58 minutes ago, _1nc0gn1t0_ said:

Yes thank you for the Day 1 compass.

I compared to the info for the current sailing which bonsai3s is on and it's identical.

But bonsai3s' statement saying that hooked was open on embarkation is making me pull out the little hair that I have left.

Next time we walk by Hooked, I'll ask the manager about lunch on embarkation day.

* Yesterday, we were having drinks at the Schooner Bar (next to Hooked) and decided to skip the packed Windjammer. Disclosure: We didn't know Hooked was open either. :classic_smile:

19 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Next time we walk by Hooked, I'll ask the manager about lunch on embarkation day.

* Yesterday, we were having drinks at the Schooner Bar (next to Hooked) and decided to skip the packed Windjammer. Disclosure: We didn't know Hooked was open either. :classic_smile:

Appreciate it.

Just to give you data points, when I log into my cruise planner on the website (not app), I am offered the following individual lunch offerings for purchase:

Izumi - Day 2

Chops - Day 1 & Day 2

Jamie's - Day 1 & Day 2

Hooked - Day 1 & Day 2

I'm wondering maybe they will have these offerings at some point for future cruises including mine, but as of now, at least in the RC app, the meal times listed match the current and past Cruise Compass times.

Edited by _1nc0gn1t0_

2 hours ago, _1nc0gn1t0_ said:

Appreciate it.

Just to give you data points, when I log into my cruise planner on the website (not app), I am offered the following individual lunch offerings for purchase:

Izumi - Day 2

Chops - Day 1 & Day 2

Jamie's - Day 1 & Day 2

Hooked - Day 1 & Day 2

I'm wondering maybe they will have these offerings at some point for future cruises including mine, but as of now, at least in the RC app, the meal times listed match the current and past Cruise Compass times.

A couple of specialty restaurant managers were gracious enough to explain.

* Hooked was not scheduled to open for lunch yesterday (embarkation day), but the demand was so high...they opened it (more revenue for the ship)

* Izumi was not scheduled to open today, Day 2, seaday. The manager said that the "Sake-Sushi Pairing" (reservations online), was cancelled because all they had was "house" sake.

To prevent complaints and/or bad reviews, he said he called every passenger scheduled for the pairing lunch and gave them discounts and he opened Izumi for lunch.

* Here's where I also started pulling my gray hairs...I walked by guest services and asked what specialty restaurants are open for lunch today. They insisted only Jamie's and Hooked are open. So, guest services are not even aware when and if the restaurant was opened by the manager at his own discretion.

Edited by bonsai3s
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

A couple of specialty restaurant managers were gracious enough to explain.

* Hooked was not scheduled to open for lunch yesterday (embarkation day), but the demand was so high...they opened it (more revenue for the ship)

* Izumi was not scheduled to open today, Day 2, seaday. The manager said that the "Sake-Sushi Pairing" (reservations online), was cancelled because all they had was "house" sake.

To prevent complaints and/or bad reviews, he said he called every passenger scheduled for the pairing lunch and gave them discounts and he opened Izumi for lunch.

* Here's where I also started pulling my gray hairs...I walked by guest services and asked what specialty restaurants are open for lunch today. They insisted only Jamie's and Hooked are open. So, guest services are not even aware when and if the restaurant was opened by the manager at his own discretion.

Thank you!!!

You just helped me decide not to purchase the UDP for this cruise.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread from the dead to just see if anyone has recent experience on the 3 night Navigator cruises and what is actually open for Embarkation Lunch?

App says only Hooked, JR Express, and Playmakers for embarkation lunch, but I had read previous reports where it was Jamies?!

Any recent Navigator peeps can share?