Possibly the end of daily testing?

PBodek

Just saw on another board from a person currently on a Viking River cruise that they are stopping the daily Covid testing.  I can't find anything about it anywhere else.  We'll see!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, duquephart said:

A view expressed elsewhere is that Viking, having spent so much installing the labs, will now stubbornly refuse to quit using them.

I agree with you, but some form of Covid will be with us for a very long time.   So sadly I'm guessing these labs will be used.

12 minutes ago, duquephart said:

A view expressed elsewhere is that Viking, having spent so much installing the labs, will now stubbornly refuse to quit using them.

The processing labs are only on Ocean.  River collects the samples on board but they are processed in a lab off ship.

1 hour ago, PBodek said:

I get it that is is an ocean forum, I can't comment about the possibility of ending daily testing?

Of course you can.  I appreciate the info and update on where Viking is with the testing program.  Thank you!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, FolsomMike said:

The ‘Before you go’ link on the Viking site is currently not responding so perhaps they’re updating it with a Covid policy change. 🙂 

Looking at the Pre-Departure sheet (dated 4/28/22), the pre-boarding testing and on-board testing look unchanged.

We're on board the Viking Sky, in Greece. No hint of ending testing. Honestly, I'd be far more excited if the ship allowed crewmembers to take off their masks. With masks on it's too much of an us versus them feeling. I also can't hear them nearly as well as I'd like.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, duquephart said:

Set up costs aside … daily testing of passengers and (maybe) crew must be a significant ongoing expense.

• Like 2

It may depend on where they are sailing to and what the requirements of those countries are.  It is easy to get distracted by what is going on in our local areas and forget that this pandemic is not yet over; that many nations are only beginning to open to tourists and that they are, quite naturally, erring on the side of caution.  Cruise ships, rightly or wrongly, are considered to be a risk.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

It may depend on where they are sailing to and what the requirements of those countries are.  It is easy to get distracted by what is going on in our local areas and forget that this pandemic is not yet over; that many nations are only beginning to open to tourists and that they are, quite naturally, erring on the side of caution.  Cruise ships, rightly or wrongly, are considered to be a risk.

I would like to see a clear link to evidence that governments in countries in Europe are requiring daily testing given that no other cruise line is doing it

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, uktog said:

I would like to see a clear link to evidence that governments in countries in Europe are requiring daily testing given that no other cruise line is doing it

Norway and Iceland have moved on ...

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuelt/the-infection-control-measures-are-being-removed-on-saturday-12-february/id2900873/

https://www.covid.is/english

as have most other countries in Europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, uktog said:

Totally agree, we are flying into Rome later this month, see below, why do we have to have a pre departure PCR test as we are fully vaccinated?

From 1 May travellers will no longer be required to complete a passenger locator form (EU PLF) to enter or travel through Italy as a visitor.

Until 30 May, all travellers, aged 6 and over, must show one of the following:

proof of vaccination OR
evidence of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours before entering Italy or a negative rapid lateral flow test taken within the 48 hours before entering Italy OR
a COVID-19 recovery certificate, certifying that you have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 6 months

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

As far as I know, Germany has the strictest measures, with mandatory quarantines and masking indoors. No mandatory testing if I understood it correctly. (I accept Icould be wrong) 

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

As far as I know, Germany has the strictest measures, with mandatory quarantines and masking indoors. No mandatory testing if I understood it correctly. (I accept Icould be wrong) 

Masking is only required on public transport and in clinics/hospitals and care homes

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

What a refreshingly sane document. Yet another reason to look forward to visiting Bergen in the fall.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

I wasn't thinking of Europe.  It's a big world.