Hints and tips

uktog

Finally after three cancellations and a two year delay we hope to leave the UK in 10 days time and come “back over t’pond” ending up in Memphis later in  May to board the American Queen.  A lot of thought has gone into all we will do pre and post the river portion in Tennessee, Missouri and Louisiana, now I need to think about the river cruise.  
We have lots of experience holidaying on the water (ocean, river and 12 person cruiser) and have done 4 ocean cruises and one 12 person trip since things opened up in Europe.

So my question is, what is your three top tips or hints for making the most of life onboard the American Queen and/or a sail from Memphis to New Orleans 

Thanks

You will love the Queen!  Some of my favorite memories:

---Seeing the evening entertainment (it is amazing what 3 or 4 people can do!!)

---Relaxing and visiting in the Ladies Parlor and the Gentleman's Lounge

---Stopping by the complimentary cappuccino and cookies area. (It is addicting!!)

---Delicious meals in the Main Dining Room

---Stopping by the River Grill after the evening show. Almost always chat with the entertainers who are also there for a snack. 
---Loved the kitchen tour led by the chef. They may not do this anymore post-Covid. 

Enjoy your cruise---and the beautiful Queen!!

• Thanks 1

My trips were both pre-Covid, but I think it still holds true - if you want to get out on one of the early HOHO buses, get your timed tickets promptly when they are released.  I believe they do that the evening before.

I really enjoyed the river cruising day - I ended up sitting outside on deck for over an hour just watching the river go by.

I loved poking about in all the little shops, but some of the towns have more to offer than others. It's good to support them!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wandb said:

Oops! Just re-read your post and see you asked for only 3 tips or hints!  I narrowed it down to 6!!!

Great tips, you are forgiven. You’ve given me a lovely feel for things to look out for 

1 hour ago, califsealion said:

My trips were both pre-Covid, but I think it still holds true - if you want to get out on one of the early HOHO buses, get your timed tickets promptly when they are released.  I believe they do that the evening before.

I really enjoyed the river cruising day - I ended up sitting outside on deck for over an hour just watching the river go by.

I loved poking about in all the little shops, but some of the towns have more to offer than others. It's good to support them!

Thanks, we don’t have a river day so more time to enjoy little shops. I plan to start my Christmas shopping on this trip 

I just can't help myself!!! 🤪

Another tip--- some folks are disappointed about the small towns that are the port stops. I think they are used to the European type stops filled with castles, cathedrals, and big shopping areas. This will be much more laid back, small town style---but very enjoyable!

Just one more!  🤪-----Don't miss the Flood Museum in the little town of Greenville. It will explain why the tall levees obscure the view from the riverboat. It is part of the HOHO tour. 

Ill be quiet now!

• Thanks 1

1.  Don't think of it as a cruise.  Think of it as a trip back in time with both the boat and the towns reflecting a more relaxed and slower moving time.

2.  Spend time outside. Whether during the day or at night it's always nice to just enjoy the river.

3.  Explore on your own.  Do the HOHO in the morning but then go back in the afternoon and wander around on your own. Find the spots that don't have the American Queen sign out front.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wandb said:

I just can't help myself!!! 🤪

Another tip--- some folks are disappointed about the small towns that are the port stops. I think they are used to the European type stops filled with castles, cathedrals, and big shopping areas. This will be much more laid back, small town style---but very enjoyable!

Just one more!  🤪-----Don't miss the Flood Museum in the little town of Greenville. It will explain why the tall levees obscure the view from the riverboat. It is part of the HOHO tour. 

Ill be quiet now!

Oh keep them coming

I’d spotted the Flood Museum, that will give us a good perspective early in the trip, thanks for reminding me.  

2 hours ago, ericosmith said:

1.  Don't think of it as a cruise.  Think of it as a trip back in time with both the boat and the towns reflecting a more relaxed and slower moving time.

2.  Spend time outside. Whether during the day or at night it's always nice to just enjoy the river.

3.  Explore on your own.  Do the HOHO in the morning but then go back in the afternoon and wander around on your own. Find the spots that don't have the American Queen sign out front.

Yes your first point was something that we remind people on their first European river trip.  We will adjust very easily we know that.  I love getting off the standard tour track in cities when time allows I have had some of my best holiday moments doing that.  This is a part of the USA we’ve never been to, so we know there’s going to be lots of little things we will notice. 

Just like on an ocean cruise on a big ship be prepared mentally for itinerary changes.

We did Memphis to New Orleans in October 2021. The river was low so we missed a port or two and had "river days" where we just floated down the Mississippi. Disappointing but enjoyable none the less.

Warning - we were on Deck C, room 320. There was an issue with the engine and we were subjected to 24/7 very loud engine noise. We could not sit outside our cabin and use the common veranda to sit and talk. Very disappointing. I talked to an engineer and she said this was normal. If I had known I would have gotten a room on the other side of the boat. No noise over there.

• Thanks 1

We did the "Mighty Mississippi" on the Duchess last August. 

The first evening we spent some time out on the veranda leaving the sliding door open. Yes, I'm aware it shuts off the A/C in the cabin but, that wasn't a problem.

When we returned inside the cabin we found it infested with many flying insects... attracted to the light in the cabin!

After that, the door remaind closed when we were on the veranda in the evenings. Lights off helped too.

Edited by TinCan782
  • Like 1

Use the screen by the pursers office to print the tickets for the HOHO buses to make sure you get a time to suit.

We found it breezy on the river and the air con on board quite fierce - bring cardigans or fleece/jacket

The dress code in the dining room was very casual - despite what AQ say. There was even - horror - one man in shorts at dinner in the evening!

If you can, use the bikes to cycle on the levee - Nottoway and Pointe Coupee , also Greenville, but not sure if you stop at them!

Sorry - that was 4!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, AliWood said:

Use the screen by the pursers office to print the tickets for the HOHO buses to make sure you get a time to suit.

We found it breezy on the river and the air con on board quite fierce - bring cardigans or fleece/jacket

The dress code in the dining room was very casual - despite what AQ say. There was even - horror - one man in shorts at dinner in the evening!

If you can, use the bikes to cycle on the levee - Nottoway and Pointe Coupee , also Greenville, but not sure if you stop at them!

Sorry - that was 4!

Thanks, as we are coming from colder climate we would not have thought to have brought a cardigan, glad you flagged this up