Positive For Covid on Viking

wearereadytogo

21 minutes ago, millybess said:

I agree with that, but that was not the point of PasadenaDave's comment.

Response was directed to 

11 hours ago, millybess said:

That test is not proctored and could belong to anybody.

14 hours ago, Carraig said:

So just 5 days in quarantine now, instead of 10?  Is this a new change of policy for Viking, or have I missed that quarantine time had been reduced?

Hoping that Irishgirl will come on and comment.  My son and his wife are going on Viking for their twice delayed honeymoon next month.  So anxious about having COVID after waiting so long for this trip.  If we knew they would only need to quarantine for 5 of their 14 days if they test positive on board, that would be great.

24 minutes ago, lovestx said:

If we knew they would only need to quarantine for 5 of their 14 days if they test positive on board, that would be great.

Based on our recent experience, a positive test in an asymptomatic patient led to five days isolation, followed by return to original stateroom with masking and distancing in public spaces. Uncertain whether positive test in a symptomatic case is handled differently.

Hoping that your son and DIL finally have a delightful cruise honeymoon! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Twitchly said:

The question: For those of you who feel Viking should continue daily COVID testing, at what point would you be fine with their discontinuing the practice? What would need to happen for you to be comfortable/OK with that? (Or do you think this should be Viking’s new normal from now on?)

You sort of beat me to this one...been thinking about the same thing. Be interesting to address this directly to Viking. Part of it is, I feel, the amount of money they spent on the technology to do the testing onboard. They went through all the trouble, so why not keep using it? I suspect that as long as any positive cases are showing up around the ships, they'll certainly keep testing. No foreseeable end to it given the prolliferation of new variants.

Gosh...isn't it pathetic that we're all even having these discussions and debates when instead we should be talking about what our favorite meals and shows were on cruises, etc. instead of bandying around chatter on masks and testing. Very sad. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

You sort of beat me to this one...been thinking about the same thing. Be interesting to address this directly to Viking. Part of it is, I feel, the amount of money they spent on the technology to do the testing onboard. They went through all the trouble, so why not keep using it? I suspect that as long as any positive cases are showing up around the ships, they'll certainly keep testing. No foreseeable end to it given the prolliferation of new variants.

Gosh...isn't it pathetic that we're all even having these discussions and debates when instead we should be talking about what our favorite meals and shows were on cruises, etc. instead of bandying around chatter on masks and testing. Very sad. 

I really miss visiting the Living Room Bar at 0600 for a cappuccino 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

I was diagnosed with cancer in mid-April, two weeks after the the completion of our last Viking cruise. That’s our focus right now — not the experience on the ship.

I'm so sorry to read this SJD, what a horrible worry for you. I really hope they'll be able to get you sorted really quickly so you can get back and enjoy your next Viking cruise..

All good wishes to you.

53 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

I was diagnosed with cancer in mid-April, two weeks after the the completion of our last Viking cruise. That’s our focus right now — not the experience on the ship.

Very sorry to read this D and I hope all goes well for you.

On 6/1/2022 at 6:25 PM, SailingDeb2001 said:

I'm sorry to hear you are in quarantine.  This is my biggest fear for my upcoming Alaska cruise.

Is your excursion credit voucher good toward a future cruise or actual money back?

Have you been able to enjoy some scenery from your balcony?

I can see from my account on line that our excursions for more than 3 thousand has been credited to an account. Some were purchased with vouchers a couple thru our credit card. So I will see how that pans out. I did read in one of the daily’s that refunds come via check in a few weeks. We have been very lucky that the weather is beautiful and we have enjoyed the sunshine ☀️ When the ship is docked. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lovestx said:

Hoping that Irishgirl will come on and comment.  My son and his wife are going on Viking for their twice delayed honeymoon next month.  So anxious about having COVID after waiting so long for this trip.  If we knew they would only need to quarantine for 5 of their 14 days if they test positive on board, that would be great.

We just came off 10 days of quarantine on Thursday. Hopefully they change it to 5. In Canada you can go back to work after 5 days. Yes~ my daughter is a teacher and returned to work at the school after 5 days! I think the anxiety and waiting each day to see if you present positive  has been an issue with passengers. If it comes late in the cruise you are then removed and finish quarantine in a hotel that is not your choice.  

4 hours ago, SJD117 said:

I’m sorry to hear this. I hope you have a full recovery.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 9:39 AM, lovestx said:

JDincalif is correct.  Our experience was a 5 days quarantine for asymptomatic in alignment with CDC guidelines. 

17 hours ago, DGHOC said:

I'm so sorry to read this SJD, what a horrible worry for you. I really hope they'll be able to get you sorted really quickly so you can get back and enjoy your next Viking cruise..

All good wishes to you.

+1 SJD - hoping that you'll feel supported and sustained by the good wishes of all of us here

First, I would like to say that I am sorry for those people on  this thread that experienced positive tests and Covid. I am glad that for most it was quite mild and that the quarantine, meals and contact with Viking was positive. That being said, it was certainly not the cruise one hoped to enjoy. 

I had a question for those who have been on cruises recently. Does it seem that the majority of cases are identified within the first few days of the cruise or for those on B2B, when the days following the new segment passengers boarding?  I have a 12 day cruise booked and to have to isolate for 10 days seems almost like cruising from my living room with YouTube. It also seems confusing about testing once in isolation since PCR tests can remain positive for longer than you are considered contagious. What has been the isolation experience? If no symptoms, only 5 days? If symptoms it would seem longer but how long if no fever.?

I wish good luck to those who have returned home to new challenges. 

We returned april 31 from 4 b2b about 60 days onboard the Jupiter.  As the number of passengers increased with each new segment so did the positive cases...definitely the new folks coming onboard brought virus from their travels from home (since everyone had to have a negative test to show up)!  I also think that once masks were no longer mandated (on buses especially) the cases went up significantly. 

Each new segment we went back to 95masks and ate by ourselves for 3-5 days!  We stayed healthy throughout. I do think the drinks int he Explorers' Lounge also provided added immunity :)!!!

• Like 9

On 6/7/2022 at 10:29 AM, wcGma said:

First, I would like to say that I am sorry for those people on  this thread that experienced positive tests and Covid. I am glad that for most it was quite mild and that the quarantine, meals and contact with Viking was positive. That being said, it was certainly not the cruise one hoped to enjoy. 

I had a question for those who have been on cruises recently. Does it seem that the majority of cases are identified within the first few days of the cruise or for those on B2B, when the days following the new segment passengers boarding?  I have a 12 day cruise booked and to have to isolate for 10 days seems almost like cruising from my living room with YouTube. It also seems confusing about testing once in isolation since PCR tests can remain positive for longer than you are considered contagious. What has been the isolation experience? If no symptoms, only 5 days? If symptoms it would seem longer but how long if no fever.?

I wish good luck to those who have returned home to new challenges. 

Yes.  Our only B2B2B cases were at the last stop.  On our river cruise last month, there were 2 positives that popped up the first 3 days, then no more.  

6 hours ago, Zebra2 said:

Deec when you said you ate by yourselves for a few days, did you mean you ordered room service those days? 

no we just did not share table in restaurants

On 6/4/2022 at 5:02 PM, Twitchly said:

So I’d like to ask a question, not for argument’s sake or to change minds since we’re way past that. I’m genuinely interested in what people think about this. I promise not to argue in response. (I may ask for clarification if I’m unclear or interested in hearing more but will try not to do it in a loaded way.) 

The question: For those of you who feel Viking should continue daily COVID testing, at what point would you be fine with their discontinuing the practice? What would need to happen for you to be comfortable/OK with that? (Or do you think this should be Viking’s new normal from now on?)

OK, that’s 3 questions, sort of. Thanks in advance for all civil responses.

I would be fine with Viking discontinuing testing when:

A.  There is a vaccine that covers all the omnicron variants. (understand that Moderna is coming out with one in the fall that is specific to those variants and protects for a year....YES. or

B.  There are no new variants and and the rate of infection is less than 10% and all passengers are vaccinated and boosted or have the new vaccine.  

Until that time, I am more than happy to spit in a tube daily.  I have taken two VC since covid (Aug 21 and Jan 22) and have the Norway/Iceland cruise booked for July 23.  Wish it was sooner.  I still intend to wear a mask when flying but feel safe on the ships with the testing of everyone daily for now.  

• Like 2