Where is the best place to buy Acropolis Skip The Line Tickets

SUESEABE

I checked out all the reviews on Viator and Trip Advisor and most said the skip the line tickets purchased on those sites weren't accepted for entry. Another review said skip the line tickets are a scam. I'm confused now as to the best place to purchase my tickets in advance. I will be in Athens on Sunday, May 15. Any help would be much appreciated.

4 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

I checked out all the reviews on Viator and Trip Advisor and most said the skip the line tickets purchased on those sites weren't accepted for entry. Another review said skip the line tickets are a scam. I'm confused now as to the best place to purchase my tickets in advance. I will be in Athens on Sunday, May 15. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here is the official website.  It's kind of clunky, but it works.  

https://etickets.tap.gr/webengines/tap_b2c/english/tap.exe?PM=P1

The region is ATTICA

The site is ACROPOLIS AND SLOPES

Pick the date

Pick a time. The time is for statistical purposes only, but the ticket gives you the right to enter without waiting in line whenever you show up that day.  

Pick the number of persons.

Pick "single use" or "combined" which gives you access to other sites.

Checkout.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 3:18 AM, marazul said:

Here is the official website.  It's kind of clunky, but it works.  

https://etickets.tap.gr/webengines/tap_b2c/english/tap.exe?PM=P1

The region is ATTICA

The site is ACROPOLIS AND SLOPES

Pick the date

Pick a time. The time is for statistical purposes only, but the ticket gives you the right to enter without waiting in line whenever you show up that day.  

Pick the number of persons.

Pick "single use" or "combined" which gives you access to other sites.

Checkout.

Thank you , great information.  Do you know if the 'single-reduced' rate is valid for older people (non EU)?  

Thanks

58 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Thank you , great information.  Do you know if the 'single-reduced' rate is valid for older people (non EU)?  

Thanks

Only EU seniors and Olympic medal winners.  (There is a list on the website.)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, marazul said:

Only EU seniors and Olympic medal winners.  (There is a list on the website.)

Thanks, had a feeling it would be for EU seniors only 

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased this online and it seems that they send you a voucher to pick tickets up at the ticket office. Would this be the same line to purchase tickets? (which makes it not truly a skip the line option) I was hoping to take the X80 and get off at the acropolis stop. I was reading this is a different entrance than the main entrance- is there a ticket office there to pick up? 

A few points:

(1) To be honest, the problem is not the line to get the tickets.  Those lines are relatively short, even during busy times.  There are even kiosks for the tickets.  The problem are the lines into the Acropolis once you have the tickets.  You are not saving yourself much time if you order the tickets ahead.

(2) Further, I would not buy tickets for places in Greece remotely. I've got burned several times previously. You have no idea what you are buying, if it is a legitimate vendor, if the tickets will be valid when you get there, if there are discounts (there are various discount schemes based on age, citizenship status, school status, etc., that they do not tell you up unless you ask for it), and various combination schemes with other archeological sites in Athens.  

(3) If you want to obviate long lines, do not go through the main entrance, but through the entrance in the southeast corner of the Acropolis.  But it is a longer hike to get to the top.

(4) Finally, if you really want to avoid long lines, get there first thing in the morning.  The additional bonus is that it wont be a hot, and you'll enjoy your time at Acropolis more.

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 8:13 PM, pdmlynek said:

A few points:

(1) To be honest, the problem is not the line to get the tickets.  Those lines are relatively short, even during busy times.  There are even kiosks for the tickets.  The problem are the lines into the Acropolis once you have the tickets.  You are not saving yourself much time if you order the tickets ahead.

(2) Further, I would not buy tickets for places in Greece remotely. I've got burned several times previously. You have no idea what you are buying, if it is a legitimate vendor, if the tickets will be valid when you get there, if there are discounts (there are various discount schemes based on age, citizenship status, school status, etc., that they do not tell you up unless you ask for it), and various combination schemes with other archeological sites in Athens.  

(3) If you want to obviate long lines, do not go through the main entrance, but through the entrance in the southeast corner of the Acropolis.  But it is a longer hike to get to the top.

(4) Finally, if you really want to avoid long lines, get there first thing in the morning.  The additional bonus is that it wont be a hot, and you'll enjoy your time at Acropolis more.

Good luck!

I agree with everything said here. The ticket purchasing is not the "pinch point",  it's more the single-file access up the somewhat slippery, worn and definitely non-uniform marble steps to get to the acropolis.

Getting to that site, above all others, first thing in the morning is really worthwhile.

On 6/25/2022 at 2:13 PM, pdmlynek said:

A few points:

The website I listed in post #2 is the official website and it is safe.  It is not one of the "official" sites that show up in searches.  You don't need to buy them months in advance. The day before will do. 

And I have seen many times long lines at both the ticket and entrance lines at both the main and Plaka entrances.  

If you are staying overnight in Athens, you can also go to the ticket booth around 4 or 5 pm and buy tickets for the next day.  Make sure you say for tomorrow clearly. There will be no lines at that time. 

If you really want to beat the crowds, go in by the main entrance at opening  time.  Some days the long walk from the Plaka entrance could  mean that you will be part of the crowd when you reach the top.