Rookie Alaskan Cruiser--help needed choosing route, please

Prestonator

Hello folks,

My wife and I (59 years old) are exploring options for an Alaskan Cruise and have already gotten ourselves thoroughly overwhelmed and confused. I know, embarrassing, right--it can't be that tough, can it?

We don't know which route or cruise line would be best for us. For example, we are considering Holland America "Alaska Explorer" vs. "Inside Passage." Even after reviewing the itineraries, I'm not sure what we should prefer. So what's most important, you ask? Good and obvious question.

We like to hike (moderately strenuous at our peak) and be immersed in nature as much as possible. So what route(s) and cruise lines make most sense for us? Any counsel would be appreciated.

I'm sorry if I've poorly or insufficiently articulated my questions or asked dumb questions--just learning the cruise world.

I would be thrilled and grateful for any info and insights shared!

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Prestonator said:

Hello folks,

My wife and I (59 years old) are exploring options for an Alaskan Cruise and have already gotten ourselves thoroughly overwhelmed and confused. I know, embarrassing, right--it can't be that tough, can it?

We don't know which route or cruise line would be best for us. For example, we are considering Holland America "Alaska Explorer" vs. "Inside Passage." Even after reviewing the itineraries, I'm not sure what we should prefer. So what's most important, you ask? Good and obvious question.

We like to hike (moderately strenuous at our peak) and be immersed in nature as much as possible. So what route(s) and cruise lines make most sense for us? Any counsel would be appreciated.

I'm sorry if I've poorly or insufficiently articulated my questions or asked dumb questions--just learning the cruise world.

Thank you!

First of all, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Wow, an all encompassing first question. My suggestion is to spend some time going through many of the old threads, as you will find lots of this information included. Unfortunately the search function isn't the best. Having completed 2 full Alaska season in 70's & 80's and a number of more recent cruises as a pax I have been many times from Vancouver.

My suggestion is to forget about cruise lines until you research and determine your Alaska priorities, which could include:

• Are you interested in a pre-cruise excursion
  • Are you happy with the mainstream SE Alaska ports (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway) or do you want to visit smaller ports and Prince William Sound
  • Glaciers - how many glaciers do you want to cruise and is Glacier Bay a must see. Personally, I have been in Glacier Bay well over a couple dozen times and have never failed to see the glaciers. The Ranger talks are also most interesting. I have missed other glaciers due to ice, which includes Hubbard.
  • Wildlife - whales normally there for most of the season. Fish run starts about end June/early July
  • Daylight - end of June is best, but May to mid/end August is OK
  • Weather - May on average is driest, avoid September
  • Routing - my preference is the full Inside Passage route favoured by the smaller ships. If mega ship (>1,500 pax) is your preference, I would favour Vancouver as those ships spend some time in the Inside Passage. Seattle ships go up and down the Pacific Ocean, west of Vancouver Island
  • Time in port - not all cruises are equal. Again the Seattle ships have more distance to travel and must spend time in Victoria. So they must run at higher speed or spend less time in Alaska ports

Personally. I prefer 1-way southbound cruises with Prince William Sound, possibly a stop in Valdez, Sitka, Glacier Bay and the other regular SE Alaska ports. 

I too prefer a southbound one-way cruise from Seward or Whittier to Vancouver.  I prefer Seward but fewer ships are starting there.  A day spent on the Kenai is magical.  I haven't done Whittier.

If it were my first trip, I would aim for Glacier Bay, but not be crushed if that Itinerary didn't work.  Hubbard is pretty good too.  Also, if you can find small boat excursion to Tracy Arm, that's great too.

Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan are all the same to me.  I much prefer Icy Strait because it's different from the others and has great whale watching.  Sitka is pretty different too, but harder to find.

The last day at sea on the way to Vancouver is beautiful as is the morning of your return to Vancouver, especially if the sun is rising.

You wouldn't believe believe how many "check the boxes" I go through when deciding on an Alaska itinerary, so don't feel like you're alone.  Also, if you want to go cheap, do a Seattle round trip.  It's cheaper for a reason though.

Edited by quack2
  • Like 1

I agree with the responses....    I think which cruiseline would be last priority in my decision making, unless you have a lot of points or member status with one.    I really think a lot of the mainstream cruiselines are more similar than different. 

Decide which ports you want, decide one way or round trip (I prefer the one way Alaska cruises), and where you want to leave from or arrive to -  Vancouver is a fantastic port city in my opinion, and worth a night or two stay in the city.  

good luck.

• Like 1

I agree with the others that the ports are much more important than the specific ship or cruise line. Read trip reports, check YouTube videos, etc. for an idea if what excursions / ports are of interest, then find an itinerary that spends the most time in those ports.

As mentioned by others, a one-way itinerary between Vancouver & Whittier or Seward will generally give you more time in the ports and possibly an additional port than the roundtrip itineraries out of Seattle. Plus you can add on a land tour at each end, if you choose. 

Whatever you eventually choose, I predict it won’t be your last. Alaska is addictive and has so much to see you can’t do it in one trip. 

• Like 1

Holland America aka HAL is a good choice for Alaska.  Food is good, and their ships dock in Ketchikan right in town.  They also can visit Glacier Bay. 

Alaska is very port dependent.  You will want to explore excursions, and they can add up $$$.  Don't worry about booking on your own here.  The vendors have been in business a long time, and value repeat business.  

We did R/T on HAl out of Vanc. in August 2018. Going again, southbound, on Celebrity Seward to Vanc.  2022

I like mid-August for less ice if you want to visit Tracy Arm fjord.  

Edited by Dancing Shoes
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Prestonator said:

Hello folks,

Thank you!

Princess has some nice cruise tours. Holland is also nice and Princess agents work both lines

I agree with the person who said to watch you tube videos.  There are lots of great ones and they show you the places and glaciers.  Some of my favorite channels are Don's Family Vacations and Tips for Travelers.  These are popular channels with a lot of viewers and the people who run them have cruised all over the world.  I got interested in cruising because of these.