Travel insurance required or not for QM2 Southampton to NYC July 2022?

Hello,

I am a US booked guest for a TA cruise this summer from Southampton to New York (departure July 29 2022).

On the US Cunard website, in the pre-cruise checklist, it says to "Arrange appropriate travel insurance"  and that "it is encouraged for all US guests to have suitable travel insurance when cruising with us". I have purchased the additional CunardCare guest protection service.
Source: https://www.cunard.com/en-us/the-cunard-experience/sailing-with-confidence/our-assurance-to-you#insurance

However, on the British Cunard website, it says that "it is mandatory for all UK guests to have suitable travel insurance cover in order to cruise with us." "At the terminal you will be asked to confirm you have travel insurance. It is your responsibility to ensure you have appropriate cover in place for the duration of your holiday. Unfortunately you will be denied boarding, at your own expense, if you’re unable to confirm you have arranged insurance."
Source: https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/sailing-with-confidence/insurance

I am quite confused by what they mean by UK guests. Does it apply to British citizens only or does that mean that all guests (no matter the nationality) boarding at Southampton in the UK need to purchase a travel insurance? And why would travel insurance be required only for UK guests and not for all nationalities?

Could American guests confirm that they were not denied boarding at Southampton because of travel insurance?

Thank you all!

Hello.  I can provide my recent experience that as an American boarding the QM2 in Southampton, I did not need to provide proof of travel insurance.  I had the same question/concern and our travel agent advised that the requirement did not apply to US Citizens.  Enjoy your cruise!

As far as all my cruises from Southampton Cunard have never actually asked for physical proof but they ask for details when you fill in your personal details before you can print of your e-ticket. Would never dream of travelling anywhere abroad whether it be on a cruise or not without travel insurance because it covers you for so much more than just health.

Totally agree with MajorTom10. Even though Cunard have never asked to see proof when checking in, I cannot imagine why anyone would decide to not take out travel insurance, unless of course they may be uninsurable, but still want to travel and take that risk.

in the UK we are required to have travel insurance when travelling abroad for medical costs as our NHS service does not cover us in USA

Travel insurance covers so much more than cancelations etc

however when I have booked through a USA travel agent I declined their insurance as was not suitable for UK citizen

in other words check what travel insurance covers for your nationality 

On 5/4/2022 at 11:05 AM, ddlslm said:

Hello.  I can provide my recent experience that as an American boarding the QM2 in Southampton, I did not need to provide proof of travel insurance.  I had the same question/concern and our travel agent advised that the requirement did not apply to US Citizens.  Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for your input. Did you purchase CunardCare guest protection for your transatlantic cruise from Southampton? It seems to work as a travel insurance for American guests.