What to pack for 4 night Canada

cal64

This will be our 6th cruise (all Caribbean) but our first to Canada on May 31, 2022 so I'm not sure if I need to pack warmer clothes or not.  Are shorts and tees ok throughout the day?.  Think I'll need jeans?  Of course dresses or nice slacks for the MDR.  I always have a light jacket or sweater with me.  Thanks for your tips.

How are north (what ports)?

We have done CNE cruises in spring and fall.  There were days when we were comfortable in short sleeves, but other times we needed shirt, sweater, and jacket, those being more numerous (on our cruises, anyway) than warm days.

Questions like this can only have one good answer - pack layers! The amount of variability in temp, rainfall etc. in coastal ports in Spring (plus on the ship itself, when e.g. sailing into a 20kt wind at 20kt makes for some serious windchill...) means even studying the weather trends carefully you can't possibly choose just the right set of 'monotasking' clothes.

But if you want to frame ballpark temps, rainfall etc. I find Weatherspark useful - here's a link to their Halifax summary page, you can change the location to your actual ports plus the nearest city to your home to get a comparative idea of what you'll encounter statistically-speaking... but again, one decently-waterproof top shell without a lot of padding and a couple of options for wearing underneath that you can combine if needed covers everything.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2022 at 2:31 PM, martincath said:

Questions like this can only have one good answer - pack layers! The amount of variability in temp, rainfall etc. in coastal ports in Spring (plus on the ship itself, when e.g. sailing into a 20kt wind at 20kt makes for some serious windchill...) means even studying the weather trends carefully you can't possibly choose just the right set of 'monotasking' clothes.

But if you want to frame ballpark temps, rainfall etc. I find Weatherspark useful - here's a link to their Halifax summary page, you can change the location to your actual ports plus the nearest city to your home to get a comparative idea of what you'll encounter statistically-speaking... but again, one decently-waterproof top shell without a lot of padding and a couple of options for wearing underneath that you can combine if needed covers everything.

Yup, layers.  I've travelled for years with the same formula:  silk turtle-neck, shirt, sweater, cardigan, windbreaker.  I always take a long raincoat but rarely need it.  I have never been cold anywhere clad in the whole list.  Windbreaker and raincoat must have hoods.

We just got off the Oasis today on a five nighter to Halifax and Saint John. Nights were cool and almost cold, about , 52-55. The late Aqua 80 show was cancelled Three times due to cold and windy conditions. Like others said, pack in layers. I always wear shorts when I get off the ship, but this time I needed pants. And a jacket as well.