SIracusa/Syracuse Excursions

MrsKMB

Siracusa is a wonderful stop. There are a number of ancient ruins to see in and around the area, see here:  Syracuse Archaeological Site - History and Facts | History Hit

And the lovely town of Ortygia is a very charming place to wander and enjoy a delicious meal or coffee and cannoli. You'll also find a couple of ancient temples near the town, including one that's been totally encased by a later church.  This gives you an idea of the place:  How To Spend A Day In Siracusa, Sicily (azamara.com)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow, a lucky change.  I suppose it's not great if you had your heart set on going to Taormina for the day, but Siracusa is a big upgrade, in my opinion.   You can see Greek and Roman ruins right next to each other, enjoy Ortygia, everything noted above by cruisemom.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 4

I'm happy with the change. I wasn't yet sure what to do out of Catania, so this is an easy change. It looks lovely and seems like we can just stroll on our own, which I really like!

Ortygia is wonderful and we would also strongly recommend beautiful Noto.   There is an amazing patisserie there.   If you like wine, you could also visit a winery, Nero d’ Avila is lovely.  

65E68242-3A5B-4ADB-B756-D67F39574B0F.jpeg

48CB89C2-2D71-4854-AF21-1C6432E5E8D6.jpeg

FF288FE2-CAE3-4430-AFFF-19EF5E6EA54A.jpeg

751888ED-B4C8-49FB-BEF5-DD266EE9AC2E.jpeg

• Like 2

@bennybear I'm having trouble with the train schedule and being able to visit Noto for a few hours. I read that it closes mid-day, so I'd like to do a morning visit. I can hire a car to drive us to Noto, but not one to return to Siracusa. There just isn't a good return train or bus and most tours are from Catania. Our ship leaves port at 6:00 pm. Any ideas? 

We used a private driver and van to visit Syracuse, Ortygia,  have lunch there at the market,  a winery and Noto.  He was great, The company name is Guiseppe Leotta with Luxury Car services,   Taxi Catania NCC.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Thanks 1

I'm on the July 18th sailing of Rhapsody and kinda bummed we are not going to Catania. I had already booked a tour of Mt. Etna and Taormina. We are in port from 8am -6pm, I'm guessing the time it will take for us to get there from Siracusa is not worth it right?  The kids were so excited to be going up the volcano...ugh

46 minutes ago, biksgirl said:

I'm on the July 18th sailing of Rhapsody and kinda bummed we are not going to Catania. I had already booked a tour of Mt. Etna and Taormina. We are in port from 8am -6pm, I'm guessing the time it will take for us to get there from Siracusa is not worth it right?  The kids were so excited to be going up the volcano...ugh

Going from Siracusa adds another hour going and returning.

8 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Going from Siracusa adds another hour going and returning.

I'm disappointed to be honest. May never be in Sicily again..wondering if it's worth still going to Mt. Etna?

27 minutes ago, biksgirl said:

I'm disappointed to be honest. May never be in Sicily again..wondering if it's worth still going to Mt. Etna?

Seems like a question only you can answer. If the volcano is what you most want to see, isn't it worth the extra 2 hours?  It wouldn't be for me -- but on the other hand if it was a Roman ruin that I wanted to see, the extra two hours would mean nothing to me.

• Like 2

Yes, it comes down to what is important to you.  If it comes down to timing, I would drop the Taormina portion of the day to give you the time for Etna.  You'd miss the greek theatre, but the rest of Taormina is just shopping and restaurants.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, biksgirl said:

As others have said, only you can decide.  We’ve been to Sicily a number of times and have not visited Mt. Etna.   We’ve seen it easily enough, as well  as Vesuvius.   Not sure if just a view will be enough.  We’ve been fortunate to spend time on active volcanoes in Hawaii,  so hopefully you will have other opportunities.  Best of luck.

View from Catania

8B8F74D1-6152-4E22-AD74-9C517FC518D4.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

On the Rhapsody of the Seas May 23 — May 30, 2022. No ship tours posted yet since the itinerary change. Kind of bummed because we have the 4x4 adventure fire & water booked in Catania originally. 

1st time in this area, any recommendations for this port? Interested in something beach related. 

Coming from San Diego the beaches around Siracusa would be nothing but disappointing.   You've got to get a distance from the city before you get to beaches, the city is built up on rocky outcroppings.

Within walking distance of the port you have a couple of millennia of Greek and Roman history, however.

Parco Archeologico della Neapolis | Syracuse, Italy Attractions - Lonely Planet

• Like 1