Drastically Reduced Port Time - Any Ships Besides Eclipse?

kstetser

As some may have seen, Celebrity Eclipse port times in May have been significantly reduced due to "barnacles on the hull".   The ship has to travel more slowly now and total port time lost is over 13 hours.    This seems to me like something that should have been known and mitigated by Celebrity.  Has anyone heard of other ships having the same issue?  We are set to sail in late July and I'm trying to decide if I should jump ship, cancel or stick it out (if they can correct the issue).

First cruise on Celebrity, first time to Alaska...not feeling good about it.

Check out Crown Princess... one port change, less time in one port, more time at sea... propulsion issues.  Its first sailing is the 7th and those with later sailings are all just hoping it goes well.  

6 hours ago, kstetser said:

As some may have seen, Celebrity Eclipse port times in May have been significantly reduced due to "barnacles on the hull".   The ship has to travel more slowly now and total port time lost is over 13 hours.   

That's a new excuse for such an issue that I have not read before.

If marine life growing on the Eclipse's hull was going to be an issue for this season, then, I think, a very legitimate question needs to be asked for the "suits" in the Celebrity office suites, why was this not properly expected and resolved?  

3 minutes ago, BobbySu said:

Check out Crown Princess... one port change, less time in one port, more time at sea... propulsion issues.

Propulsion issues causing a reduction of speed?  Not unusual.  

7 hours ago, kstetser said:

As some may have seen, Celebrity Eclipse port times in May have been significantly reduced due to "barnacles on the hull".   The ship has to travel more slowly now and total port time lost is over 13 hours.    This seems to me like something that should have been known and mitigated by Celebrity.  Has anyone heard of other ships having the same issue?  We are set to sail in late July and I'm trying to decide if I should jump ship, cancel or stick it out (if they can correct the issue).

First cruise on Celebrity, first time to Alaska...not feeling good about it.

Haha!! what will cruise line PR departments think of next. I say BS.

Hull fouling causes an increase in friction and takes more power to move the ship at the same speed. Many ports have vendors with divers that will provide hull cleaning services while the ship is in port. This service is readily available in Vancouver.

Most likely cause is a mechanical problem requiring running at reduced power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity cancelled their May 22nd Eclipse Hubbard Glacier 7-night and said they are putting the ship in dry dock to fix the problem.  I feel so terrible for the passengers who were cancelled.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, kstetser said:

Celebrity cancelled their May 22nd Eclipse Hubbard Glacier 7-night and said they are putting the ship in dry dock to fix the problem.  I feel so terrible for the passengers who were cancelled.  

I will post my question again.  Why didn't the "suits" for Celebrity make the decision weeks ago to do this drydocking?  Marine growth on a hull or Azipods does not happen overnight.  

Agree, a cancellation for such a reason would sharpen my disappointment if I was affected.  

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I will post my question again.  Why didn't the "suits" for Celebrity make the decision weeks ago to do this drydocking?  Marine growth on a hull or Azipods does not happen overnight.  

Agree, a cancellation for such a reason would sharpen my disappointment if I was affected.  

I don't believe it is a hull fouling issue, as no way they would drydock a ship to clean the hull, unless it is a scheduled docking. Hull fouling is easily resolved at a fraction of the docking cost by divers.

Has to be a mechanical problem.

They are lucky a dock was available, as I've waited up to 6 weeks at times to get an opening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

I don't believe it is a hull fouling issue, as no way they would drydock a ship to clean the hull, unless it is a scheduled docking. Hull fouling is easily resolved at a fraction of the docking cost by divers.

Has to be a mechanical problem.

Barnacles on the hull sounds better than saying the ship has a mechanical issue.  Most likely with an Azipod don't you think?  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Barnacles on the hull sounds better than saying the ship has a mechanical issue.  Most likely with an Azipod don't you think?  

That would be my guess.

• Thanks 1