Peggy's Cove from Halifax

Doing a little early research for our call into Halifax later this year.

Thinking we might want to do some independant sightseeing in town and also take a side trip to Peggy's Cove as it appears nearer than Lunenburg, which is our other preference.

Apart from ships tours I can only find references to private tours on this board, and having read about the tour buses would like to try and avoid the crowds if its at all possible. We are only 2 persons so if we cant get a small group together for a private tour is there an alternative other than hire car (which we would rather not do)

I can find no info anywhere on the net about any form of public transportation linking the 2 towns. Is there none?

Here's a link to the Halifax public transportation system site.

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/index.asp

I don't know if there is a bus that does the 45 minute or so run up to Peggy's Cove or not but if there is you may be able to find it above.

Here is a link from the Virtual Tourist for Halifax which is where I found the above link. There is also a Peggy's Cove link there that might help you.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Canada/Province_of_Nova_Scotia/Halifax-908494/TravelGuide-Halifax.html

Have a great next cruise.

Ye wee haggis basher!!

I'm afraid y'ere stuck wi a car hire son, fer it's sae lang a trip wi' the bus.

Aw right...enough o' that!!!

You'd be better off actually getting a rental car and take the highway south so you can view the scenery and stop where you'd like.

Whatever you do, at Peggy's Cove if you're on the rocks (and I'm not talking of having a wee nip) stay well away from the water's edge. There's been many a rogue wave washed up and dragged Scots tourists into the drink.

As a good transplanted Dundonian now in western Canada, and still a staunch Dundee United supporter, I guess I'm allowed to give a rough time to a fellow Scot.

Hope you enjoy your port of call. The trip to Peggy's Cove reminds me of the west coast of Scotland and some of the islands. Haste ye back!!!

Ciao for now!!!

WWWINFL91

Thanks for info and links, but I had tried that site without success. I gave up then and posted on CC. Fond memories of our trips to your location when the kids were small...and not so small! Our last was 3 and 1/2 years ago.:)

CAPTAINRON

I think you only missed the Oor Wullie/Dundee expressions of Help ma boab, Jings and crivvens!:D

We dont want to hire, will hope for a private tour if theres anyone interested on the Roll Call.

I would still consider a car rental. Enterprise has a rental agency within walking distance to the dock. Their rates are very good too. The drive is fairly simple and can be mapped out with ease. We drove ourselves out there and really enjoyed the trip. There is a small restaurant at the cove which serves lobster rolls! Be sure to take a camera because the cove provides some gorgeous pictures!

I forget who we rented from (I think National, but don't quote me!), but they'll all pick you up at the ship and drop you off after your rental. It's a nice shot uphill from the pier to most of the rental agencies, so try to set up a rental that way.

Sorry the site I posted didn't have what you need. It sounds like you may need to rent a car. We did a great ship sponsored tour here to a winery and then had a fantastic very late lunch in Halifax with all the wine we could drink from the same winery we had visited. It was a really good ships tour.

Have a great next cruise.

That winery tour sounds very tempting! However, we already had to drop the idea of Lunenburg due to lack of time and I think we can only comfortably squeeze in town sightseeing and Peggys Cove in the time we have there. The usual cruise dilemma! 2 days would have been good here.

Thank you all for your idea of car rental, but we are driving wimps :o when it comes renting for a single day. We have hired for longer periods in the US but for one day in Canada we dont feel its worth it. Over here, we drive on the "wrong" side of the road, and are used to a "stick shift"? although my husband can also drive an automatic. We also dont want a worry with insurance issues, driving licences or parking problems when we get to Peggys Cove. We only want to sit back, relax, look out and enjoy what should be a scenic drive.

We will hope for a private tour if there are any others on our Roll Call.

Apologies if a similar version of this reply appears. CC was acting up and swallowed my earlier reply. In the past it sometimes vanished for ever, on occasion it posted.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best private tours I have ever taken was one given by Jonathan of yourcab. He took my wife to areas that we arranged on emails prior to our arrival. At every stop it was obvious that Jonathan was respected ands we received wonderful attention. We stopped at a wonderful very small restaurant that served wonderful seafood stew. A custom made tour that we will long remember

Thanks Steve.

Its always good to have a recommendation. We will hope for a shared private tour or maybe a shared car rental....if somebody else wants to drive!!:)

Keeping this short. I already lost 2 attempts. 3rd time lucky?:(

Its always good to have a recommendation. We will hope for a shared private tour or maybe a shared car rental....if somebody else wants to drive!!:)

WE had hoped for the same thing. Let's talk about it on the Roll Call.

Hi there,

I agree that Lunenburg is a bit of a push for a day trip in Halifax for your first time. There is much to see a lot closer. If you like to walk you can spend a few hours exploring Downtown and Citadal Hill. All is within walking distance to the Pier. For Peggy's Cove, an organized bus tour is the best option. I understand you don't like the crowds, but once at Peggy's Cove you are free to explore at your discretion, just so you meet the bus for your return. There are also tours that include a brief tour Halifax before heading to Peggy's Cove. When you go out there, heed the warnings, we lose a tourist or two each year that think they are smarter than Mother Nature. If you want more info, just let me know what your interests are and I will look into it (I am a local). At any rate, Halifax is a great city to visit and live in.

• 1 month later...

VERYCOLDCANUCK,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have only now chanced on this as we were cruising S.America on Regal Princess from March 21st to April 8th or thereabouts and its been a little mad here since then. Our thoughts are only now once again turning to researching the ports on our Canada/N. England in September.

Yes please, any recommendations for private tours would be most welcome to add to those above. We are only really interested in a Peggys Cove tour, as we intend to sightsee independantly in Halifax for the rest of the day.

Once again, apologies for the delay in replying.

edinburgher,

I live in Halifax. You might want to try this website:

http://www.halifaxinfo.com then click on "nature tours & outdoors". There's info on contacts for tours, including Peggy's Cove.

Hope you enjoy your visit to our lovely city.

Mask,

Do you think just hiring a cab for the day to go to Peggy's Cove is a good thing to do. Got any idea about the cost?

As suggested above rent a car, Enterprise is within walking ditance of the pier- It was about $35.00 for the Car.

A good tour of Halifax would include

1. Peggy's Cove

2. Swiss Air memorial

3. Cemetary(they buried the bodies of the people from the Titanic including a J. Dawson)

4, central park

5. the fortess

6. Halifax Maritime Museum.

Halifax is the scene of the largest manmade explosion prior to the dropping of the atomic bomb. (Happened in WW 1 when two ships colided), There is an exhibit at the Maritime Museum about it.

If you ask I have pictures,,,,

Scapel, I'm not sure what a taxi costs, never having taken one here for that tour, but smeyer418's estimate if $35 is a good guideline. Just a little expansion of smeyer418's post:

- Central Park is called the Public Gardens. It is in the centre of Halifax and is an absolutely beautiful spot, although we lost a lot of trees during Hurricane Juan a few years ago, but you'd never know if you've never been there.

- The fortress is called Citadel Hill. It too is in the near centre of the city, near the waterfront and everyday a noon a cannon is shot. Great historical place.

- The manmade explosion is called the Halifax Explosion and it occurred Dec. 6, 1917 (http://www.halifaxexplosion.org/). We still to this day send a Christmas tree to Boston, which they use in their downtown, as a thank you for all the assistance Halifax received from them at that horrific time. It's, unfortunately, not a well known event, including throughout Canada.

- the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (within walking distance from the pier) is a fascinating place. It has a few items from the Titanic.

- The cemetery referred to is where there are a lot of Titanic victim's graves.

There's a lot of fascintating historical events connected with this city, if you're interested in that type of thing.

There's also loads of shopping and wonderful restaurants. If you are here on a Saturday, check out the farmer's market a the Brewery, again, within walking distance from the pier. Just browsing along the waterfront is fun.

If you're here between Aug 10 & 20, the annual Busker Festival is on. There are street entertainers from all over the world. It's wonderful walking around, seeing them and all the other activities associated with it - and it's free.

That's it for now, feel free to ask any other questions.

Scapel, I'm not sure what a taxi costs, never having taken one here for that tour, but smeyer418's estimate if $35 is a good guideline. Just a little expansion of smeyer418's post:

- Central Park is called the Public Gardens. It is in the centre of Halifax and is an absolutely beautiful spot, although we lost a lot of trees during Hurricane Juan a few years ago, but you'd never know if you've never been there.

- The fortress is called Citadel Hill. It too is in the near centre of the city, near the waterfront and everyday a noon a cannon is shot. Great historical place.

- The manmade explosion is called the Halifax Explosion and it occurred Dec. 6, 1917 (http://www.halifaxexplosion.org/). We still to this day send a Christmas tree to Boston, which they use in their downtown, as a thank you for all the assistance Halifax received from them at that horrific time. It's, unfortunately, not a well known event, including throughout Canada.

- the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (within walking distance from the pier) is a fascinating place. It has a few items from the Titanic.

- The cemetery referred to is where there are a lot of Titanic victim's graves.

There's a lot of fascintating historical events connected with this city, if you're interested in that type of thing.

There's also loads of shopping and wonderful restaurants. If you are here on a Saturday, check out the farmer's market a the Brewery, again, within walking distance from the pier. Just browsing along the waterfront is fun.

If you're here between Aug 10 & 20, the annual Busker Festival is on. There are street entertainers from all over the world. It's wonderful walking around, seeing them and all the other activities associated with it - and it's free.

That's it for now, feel free to ask any other questions.

thanks!!! I knew I was close but no cigar- not too bad for a New Yorker. It was really easy to do in one day, By the way that was $35.00 US when we did it two years ago with the dollar doing so poorly, it has to be more.

We had a wonderful time. I always wanted to go to Halifax(since I saw the move K-225), but I wouldn't have had the chance but the Hurricaine that hit Bermuda sent us North instead of south. we loved it.

Archived