Leaving Shore Excursion Early

We have an overnight port stop in Dublin, the ship is actually in Dun Loaghaire.  We are doing a morning shore excursion and would like to stay in Dublin to enjoy the afternoon and evening. So our plan would be to leave the excursion early.  We would, of course, advise the tour host so they will not be looking for us.  Is this something that is easily done or does it create issues with the tour company?  

Thanks 

For various reasons pre Covid we regularly left a shore excursion. We just told the guild we would make our own way back.

Like you are talking about we would use the tour as transportation to what we really wanted to do. Or on occasion we were fed up the guild/tour and just got a taxi back to the ship.

• Like 2

We have bailed on lots of tours, for various reasons.  Tour was boring,  the beginning part of the tour was perfect, the second half didn’t interest us or the tour put us in a location we wanted.  Always with the idea, we needed to find our way back to the ship.  

We always let the guide know that we are doing this and tip them if we did stay for part of the tour, no ducking out unless they were terrible.  Thankfully,  the terrible hasn’t happened in years or we have a great laugh during  happy hour!  Just don’t miss the ship! 

• Like 2

While there may by a Regent staff member on your tour (they used to do this pretty much all the time with staff like entertainers, etc.), be sure to advise them as well as the guide.  Or, and a generally better idea IMO, inform the destination desk.  You really want someone associated with the ship to know of your plans to return separately, especially because of the distance back to the ship in your case.  Not that they'll hold the ship (they might delay a bit) when they don't see you scanned back on board.  And, of course, advise the same place you notified when you return.  We've all heard the shipwide announcement of "will guests from suite nnn please contact reception."

• Like 1

From prior (observed) experiences(s):  

The Tour Company (contractor) does not care if you leave early--as long as proper notification has been given to the Guide.  This is just a matter of common courtesy, for whatever the reason for leaving the group--at whatever the time.  Just one, or two, fewer people on the van, or bus back to the ship. 

Do not assume that Guide has conveyed your intention via carrier pigeon, text, tel., or email back to that particular vessel.  Even if this has been accomplished--It means nothing.  This is not a throw-away Line.  Passengers assume sole responsibility for timely return to the ship to meet the posted on-board time.  The ship will not wait. Only exception:  A ship's designated Tour.  Should a conveyance break-down, the ship will wait for a replacement to return guests.   

We have witnessed cruisers literally running down the pier toward whatever Regent, Silversea, Crystal (alas), or Seabourn ship to get back onboard just in the nick of time.  And, on one occasion--Silversea-- that couple did NOT make the cut.   And, oh-yes:  have heard that onboard Announcement:  "Will passengers in Suite (fill in the Blank) please contact the Reception Desk . . ."   

There they were--as we sailed away--frantically waiving from Pier-side.  That was at an Alaska Port.  Just a cautionary Tale. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Thanks all.  Our plan is to leave the tour early to stay in Dublin for the afternoon and  evening.  The ship overnights in Dun Loaghaire so no problem making it back, it doesn't leave until 10 pm the second day. If we aren't back by then it'll be a "whole 'nother issue," probably involving Guinness and Irish Whiskey! 😱

I'm assuming, since this is considered a Dublin port stop, that Regent will have a shuttle running to Dublin (about 30 min away).  But either way I'll be sure to have my transportation plan all set.  The tour is a river cruise around Dublin followed by a bus tour.  We are thinking of doing the river portion then bailing.  I have been to Dublin many times, this will be my wife's first visit so we want to see certain sights as well as spend some time in Temple Bar (likely site if there's a "whole 'nother issue😜).  Getting off the tour early will simply prevent us from having to shuttle back up later.

Again, thanks for the info.  I will certainly notify Guest Relations as well as the tour guide(s).  Appreciate the info. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Thanks all.  Our plan is to leave the tour early to stay in Dublin for the afternoon and  evening.  The ship overnights in Dun Loaghaire so no problem making it back, it doesn't leave until 10 pm the second day. If we aren't back by then it'll be a "whole 'nother issue," probably involving Guinness and Irish Whiskey! 😱

I'm assuming, since this is considered a Dublin port stop, that Regent will have a shuttle running to Dublin (about 30 min away).  But either way I'll be sure to have my transportation plan all set.  The tour is a river cruise around Dublin followed by a bus tour.  We are thinking of doing the river portion then bailing.  I have been to Dublin many times, this will be my wife's first visit so we want to see certain sights as well as spend some time in Temple Bar (likely site if there's a "whole 'nother issue😜).  Getting off the tour early will simply prevent us from having to shuttle back up later.

Again, thanks for the info.  I will certainly notify Guest Relations as well as the tour guide(s).  Appreciate the info. 

We lived in Dublin for 5 years and if heading to Temple Bar, would suggest a short walk to Shanahans on the Green for a drink in the Oval Office downstairs. Our favorite Steakhouse anywhere but the Oval Office is a great place for a libation and to view US Presidential history. 

https://shanahans.ie

• Like 1

I would let guest services know your intentions.  We were on a cruise with a group of people years ago when one of the couples did not return to the ship.  Much panic because they did not inform the ship.  The police in the port were called etc.   Thankfully they were okay but it sure worried us all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Linda VH said:

I would let guest services know your intentions.  We were on a cruise with a group of people years ago when one of the couples did not return to the ship.  Much panic because they did not inform the ship.  The police in the port were called etc.   Thankfully they were okay but it sure worried us all.

This is definitely a good idea. With cruise lines still reacting to Covid, even if the port you're visiting has no restrictions, I would make sure Regent has no problem with you going off on your own and reboarding by the next morning.

There could also be weather related problems (that they don't always like to tell you about in advance) that could result in the ship moving earlier than expected. If they know your plans, they might reveal the forecast to you, and you can plan accordingly.

• Like 1