Long Bear Tours out of Sitka

donaldsc

I am usually pretty good at finding stuff on the internet but I have been been unsuccessful in this search.  We are going to be in Sitka for several days prior top the start of our cruise.  We have been to AK several times and we almost always find a good bear tour to do.  I know that there a good number of bears on Baranof Island and I was hoping to find a tour that would give me a good chance to see bears and hopefully brown  bears in the wild.  I am not interested in seeing bears at the Fortress of the Bears in Sitka.  I have been to a number of enclosure type bear places in the US and AK.  Although I may be wrong, Fortress sounds like a very depressing example of that genre.

I would like to find a tour out of Sitka that gets me into the rest of Baranof Island where I might see bears.  I can allot a full day for the tour if necessary.   Am I missing something or does the tour that I am looking for not exist.  I should add that we will be in Sitka in early July so if the salmon are not running in the streams at that time, such a tour might be a waste of my time and money.

DON

One of our trips to Sitka we went on a wildlife quest and they are now out of business or I can't find them. He took us to his boat house on Camp Coogan Bay & we changed to smaller boat then we hiked to a small lake with lots of bear tracks but none standing in them. As we were leaving there was a brown bear near the bay. It was 1000 yds away and we were out of time to investigate. 

This tour might be worth looking at but I can't  recommend it. It does sound like it fits where we saw the only one we have seen in Sitka. Alaska Coastal Wildlife Quest — Sitka Alaska Outfitters

Katmai & Wolverine Creek are the only other places we have been successful at planning and seeing brown bears. sightcrr

• 2 weeks later...

I found the guide that we went with in 2015. He is Reilly Madigan of Lucky Chance Guide Service. Not sure whether is still guiding or not. His web site is still up but no feedback since 2018. No idea about how covid affected him. His boat ride showed us our only bear viewing in Sitka. His dog Daisy was a treat to be around. sightcrr

8 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

I found the guide that we went with in 2015. He is Reilly Madigan of Lucky Chance Guide Service. Not sure whether is still guiding or not. His web site is still up but no feedback since 2018. No idea about how covid affected him. His boat ride showed us our only bear viewing in Sitka. His dog Daisy was a treat to be around. sightcrr

Many thanks.  I will try to contact him.  

I agree w you about the Alaska Wildlife Quest tour that you posted on May 6.  A  2 hour tour is not long enough.

DON

Edited by donaldsc