Brits Embarking QM-2 In New York

RJChatsworth

Just for info. They were doing Covid tests at the port for anyone who hadn’t done one.

There were quite a few takers. I’m not sure what the fee, if any, was.

Embarkation was horrible. Cunard really have to get their act together if they want to retain their reputation as one of the finest cruise lines.

Once on board there was no welcome from anyone until we reached our corridor of rooms when one of the room stewards said “Welcome aboard”.

Next time I’m booking Celebrity where you are welcomed by a waiter with a tray of glasses of champagne as soon as you step aboard.

Just saying!

• Like 1

Real champagne? We had a queue of welcoming staff when I last boarded (in April), one of whom directed us to our muster station. I must say I don't think I could handle a glass of anything and my boarding pass and my various bits of hand luggage.without spilling.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Real champagne? We had a queue of welcoming staff when I last boarded (in April), one of whom directed us to our muster station. I must say I don't think I could handle a glass of anything and my boarding pass and my various bits of hand luggage.without spilling.

I agree, I'd rather have the bottle waiting in the cabin than trying to juggle a glass

• Like 1

An earlier post by Kristal as she boarded QM-2 in New York mentioned that rapid antigen tests were being conducted at the Red Hook terminal.

Does anyone have any details?  Are they conducted by or under the auspices of Cunard?  Or are they a pop-up stall that might not always be there?  And what is the cost?

Hopefully tests before boarding in New York may soon be faded out but somehow I don’t think they will!

• Like 1

Hi RJ,

although they looked like temporary pop up testing stations, with just folded up screens surrounding them, having talked to passengers from USA and Germany it seemed like several of them were unaware that a pre cruise test was required so they may be around for a while! The German couple said they had searched the German and U.K. Cunard site and couldn’t find any info about pre cruise tests. Nobody had any details of the cost. 

Now that USA has decided no tests are required if you fly there perhaps cruise testing will be phased out soon. Fingers crossed 🤞.

We are on our way home now. We were a bit surprised by disembarkation this morning. We expected announcements about which colour and number should head to the gangway, instead it just seemed to be a free for all. We actually left at our designated time and didn’t have to queue too long. We are now in Salisbury waiting for the Exeter train.

On 6/5/2022 at 8:26 PM, bluemarble said:

No, the requirement has been for the test to be taken two days prior to embarkation at US ports for quite a while now. At least since October 2021 when I first learned about that more stringent testing requirement from the US CDC.

I think part of the confusion may come from the CDC regulations that state if you are "up to date" with your COVID-19 vaccinations, you must test no more than 3 days before boarding your cruise ship. Then they go on to say if you are "fully vaccinated", you must test no more than 2 days before boarding your cruise ship.

As I understand it, "fully vaccinated" means you have completed your initial doses of an approved vaccine. Booster shots don't figure into being "fully vaccinated".

On the other hand, being "up to date" with you vaccinations means "you have received all doses in the primary series and all boosters recommended for you, when eligible." Note this wording is different from Cunard's criteria only requiring a booster if more than 270 days have elapsed since your initial vaccine doses. And Cunard's criteria does not require a second booster at this time.

For those reasons, I don't think Cunard is in the position to allow the "up to date" (3 day) testing window and instead must require the more stringent "fully vaccinated" (2 day) testing window.

Along those lines, those of us who study the CDC Cruise Ship Status Dashboard will note only 2 of the 92 ships currently operating under the CDC guidelines qualify as "Vaccination Status of Excellence Ships" meaning they can certify at least 90% of their passengers are "up to date" with their COVID-19 vaccines. The other 90 ships (including the two Cunard ships under CDC guidelines, QM2 an QE) qualify as "Highly Vaccinated Ships" meaning they can certify at least 90% of their passengers are "fully vaccinated".

Whew! I hope I got that right and it wasn't too much CDC terminology overload.

well thanks. still confusing. We're in Iowa too.  Happy Sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. New member to the board. Got my first cruise (as a passenger) in August with Cunard back from NYC to Southampton so thought I would get some advice from people who have actually done what i'm asking about. 

Cunard's website advises testing anytime 2 days before sailing, or anytime on day of departure. Does this mean for a Friday afternoon sailing, we can test on Wednesday anytime? Or is it Thursday 00:01 earliest? We arrive in NYC on the Wednesday morning and have booked in at Bloom near Penn Station at midday, will also be taking a couple of the cheapish medicspot observed tests as back up. 

This testing procedure is one big cloud hanging over the trip. 

12 minutes ago, SJS85 said:

Cunard's website advises testing anytime 2 days before sailing, or anytime on day of departure. Does this mean for a Friday afternoon sailing, we can test on Wednesday anytime?

It's number of days, not hours. So Wednesday is good. It better be! That's when we're getting tested for the Friday departure.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, frankp01 said:

It's number of days, not hours. So Wednesday is good. It better be! That's when we're getting tested for the Friday departure.

Yes, I agree with that.

we tested on Friday at 8am Denver time for boarding on Sunday.

We used Medicspot so it was 3pm U.K. time when we tested. The time of the test was on the certificate but I think the staff were just interested in the date. 

Good luck, SJS85, we found the testing a lot less traumatic than we had imagined and our hotel receptionist was very helpful at printing out the certification.