Brits Embarking QM-2 In New York

RJChatsworth

We have a holiday booked, some way off, where we fly to New York independently and stay in Manhattan for a few days before boarding QM-2 at Red Hook to return to the UK.  Cunard requires us to have an observed lateral flow test two days before embarkation and lists a number of companies.  Looking at their web sites, one is not providing tests, we’ll have no transport and lots are drive-thro, I can’t find any within a reasonable distance of 57th Street and 6th Av, almost all require 2-4 days to provide a certificate which rules them out, some testing centres are not available to foreign nationals and most are only PCR tests and I saw charges of $350 per test.

What is Cunard doing - don’t they want any passengers or am I missing something?  They’ll be losing my wife and I at this rate!

16 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

I can’t find any within a reasonable distance of 57th Street and 6th Av

We had a British friend who disembarked the QM2 in NYC with us. He needed a test, I believe to fly home. I asked him where he got it, and this is the place. You can see that he had, at the time, a Rapid test. You might look into it.

What Rapid Antigen Test (Bloom Labs)
When Tuesday, January 4, 2022 2:40pm (5 minutes)
Where 34 W. 36th St, New York, NY

Alternatively, buy a DIY lateral flow kit (being sure to include the video monitoring option) before you leave the UK, take it with you and do the video call from your hotel room in Manhattan at your convenience.

There are several providers including DocHQ and Qured selling them for under £25.

• Like 1

We are in the same boat. Pun intended as we hope to be able to board in New York in early June.

We are in New York for one night pre cruise, fly in from Denver at 1930 on a Saturday night.

We are slowly panicking about the test. As mentioned several websites don’t allow access to U.K. viewers. I have emailed our hotel for help but had no reply. Our TA keeps offering  non workable alternatives.

Has anyone used a U.K. purchased test kit and successfully used it to get on board? I think this might be the way we have to go. 

If I had known how complicated this was going to be I wouldn’t have booked this trip.

Hi Krystal.  It’s the observed nature of the test that is worrying.  If it didn’t have to be observed we could take one from the UK and upload to the website to receive a valid certificate.  A Zoom observed test from a Manhattan hotel  to a UK web site seems fraught to me.  You might not be able to get online at the time of the appointment!  I don’t want all these issues when on holiday.

There hasn’t been much of a response from Brits, so I’m wondering whether they haven woken up to this problem or not sharing a solution!  Relatives flew back from New York last week and there was no longer a requirement for a test  before flying so why would businesses in New York bother about providing a service for a few getting on a ship!

1 hour ago, RJChatsworth said:

Hi Krystal.  It’s the observed nature of the test that is worrying.  If it didn’t have to be observed we could take one from the UK and upload to the website to receive a valid certificate.  A Zoom observed test from a Manhattan hotel  to a UK web site seems fraught to me.  You might not be able to get online at the time of the appointment!  I don’t want all these issues when on holiday.

There hasn’t been much of a response from Brits, so I’m wondering whether they haven woken up to this problem or not sharing a solution!  Relatives flew back from New York last week and there was no longer a requirement for a test  before flying so why would businesses in New York bother about providing a service for a few getting on a ship!

I’m British and I’ve given you my solution. It’s worked for me twice with no problems whatsoever. 

Why would you not be able to get online? The internet does work in New York! I’m sure your hotel will have decent wifi but if not you can just use 4G on your phone.

If you’re unable or unwilling to try a fairly simple solution to a far from insurmountable problem, you’re probably better off staying at home.

• Like 1

Thanks gumshoe,

All I wanted was somebody to say it works! Can you please give me some more advice?
Was there a problem with time zones? 

How far in advance did you do your test? 1day? 2 days?

Thank you.

I am working from a Nokia 3310. I also have an iPad. Please don’t assume we can all use 4G. I definitely can’t. I have read reviews of my hotel in New York which say the wifi can be patchy. I’m not relishing sitting in reception jabbing swabs up my nose as people pass by. 

Maybe I would be better off staying at home if Cunard passengers are so short tempered!!

1 hour ago, Kristal Blade said:

Thanks gumshoe,

All I wanted was somebody to say it works! Can you please give me some more advice?
Was there a problem with time zones? 

How far in advance did you do your test? 1day? 2 days?

Thank you.

I am working from a Nokia 3310. I also have an iPad. Please don’t assume we can all use 4G. I definitely can’t. I have read reviews of my hotel in New York which say the wifi can be patchy. I’m not relishing sitting in reception jabbing swabs up my nose as people pass by. 

Maybe I would be better off staying at home if Cunard passengers are so short tempered!!

We're British, live in France and have had Randox kits delivered to UK addresses, used them in the UK and obtained verification on Android phones. But being in UK was irrelevant other than for delivery, we could have done the same anywhere in the world we had a connection on our phones. We will have a couple sent to our hotel in Southampton for end of this month as a backup in case our test in Nice goes wrong.

Your Nokia 3310 is a problem. It was a nice phone but it is now obsolete from a functionality point of view. Your iPad should be able to do the job but I don't use anything from the company as their products are not globally compatible with other systems so I couldn't say for sure.

If you consider using Randox, look on the iStore for a Randox app for your iPad. The Android version is called Randox1v1. If you can install it and set up an account and login, you should be presented with a screen showing "Scan a new Test" or "Certificates" options. You won't be able to do much else without booking a test.

The other concern is the "observed" requirement. These tests that were acceptable for UK arrivals and now known as "fit to fly" are verified but not observed. Not sure if that's acceptable in US?

Based on the functionality of the phones etc you listed you might be better finding a physical testing location in New York.

• Like 1

An extra note on this. I just searched "covid tests New York". I got at least 6 in Mid-Town offering "Testing for all patients" and a couple in Brooklyn. I'd be inclined to phone them to confirm what they provide before booking. Unlike most French phone lines you may need to pay for that call in UK, but it won't be that expensive.

• Like 2

We live in NY and took 2 Caribbean cruises this winter. We ordered online proctored tests called Binax from eMed and did them at home, supervised by an online proctor, but you could easily do it from your hotel. It takes 20 or so minutes. You could order the tests for delivery to your hotel in the US and do them when you arrive. We did ours at 1am no problem. You do need to have some computer or tablet skills and you need to set up an eMed account. We don't have national health care here so we just bought the tests.

You can print the results at the hotel and there's also an app that will display on your phone.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1N2TBhCOARIsAGVHQc7QQZOz2QvY07MJmfoNugxBvCHezdm9bNNyc8aFDT0XgbqJbop1XesaAuT5EALw_wcB

• Like 1

Thanks for these bits of advice. Looks like we do have alternative options.

I’m just a bit twitchy because we won’t get to our hotel till about 9pm on a Saturday night then head to the dock the next day.

D&N, my Nokia is still a nice phone! It gets better reception for making calls than an iPhone and I use my iPad for tech stuff. I will do some more research into apps on the iPad for getting test results.

MJC, how much do the tests cost? We saw some tests for nearly $200 which we thought was a bit extreme. 

Thanks for this additional advice, this is why I love the Cruisecritic boards!

This is a Nokia 3310. I briefly had one for work in 2005. It does what phones are supposed to do really well, i.e. talking to people. And it doesn't take up much space in your pocket or handbag. It is not a tiny hi-spec computer like most phones these days. I think they'll need to use their iPad.

Just in case you think so, I'm not being sarcastic. It's great to see someone that actually has a phone for talking to others. I pay a monthly fee to have a UK line in France that very few friends actually bother to call. Most seem to prefer messaging these days.

Nokia_3310_Blue_R7309170_(retouch).png

• Thanks 1

Some interesting replies since I started this thread.  Brits embarking QM-2 at Red Hook are required to take an OBSERVED lateral flow test two days before embarkation.  I found places on the Internet but they didn’t accept foreign nationals and took 2-4 days to supply a valid certificate which would be inappropriate.  They were all places suggested by Cunard!!

Without trawling through all the suggestions I don’t know whether they meet the Cunard criteria!

54 minutes ago, MJC said:

We live in NY and took 2 Caribbean cruises this winter. We ordered online proctored tests called Binax from eMed and did them at home, supervised by an online proctor, but you could easily do it from your hotel. It takes 20 or so minutes. You could order the tests for delivery to your hotel in the US and do them when you arrive. We did ours at 1am no problem. You do need to have some computer or tablet skills and you need to set up an eMed account. We don't have national health care here so we just bought the tests.

You can print the results at the hotel and there's also an app that will display on your phone.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1N2TBhCOARIsAGVHQc7QQZOz2QvY07MJmfoNugxBvCHezdm9bNNyc8aFDT0XgbqJbop1XesaAuT5EALw_wcB

You can't use them unless you have a) US address and b) US phone number. I contacted them and asked - I could get the tests delivered to USA contacts but the phone number is the problem 

39 minutes ago, Kristal Blade said:

Thanks for these bits of advice. Looks like we do have alternative options.

I’m just a bit twitchy because we won’t get to our hotel till about 9pm on a Saturday night then head to the dock the next day.

This maybe too tight . Cunard says "All fully vaccinated guests will need to organise and purchase a private observed antigen test to be taken two days prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal."  Preparing to sail - At the terminal - Cunard cruises 

Where are you 2 days before - that's where you need to do the testing not last minute in NYC 

You also need to do the online health declaration "The declaration will be available to complete three days before sailing. You will have two days to complete this; the questionnaire will close the day before you board." - from My Cunard 

I kinda assumed you'd need the test results to complete the health declaration.  Others will confirm that as I haven't done one yet. 

On 5/7/2022 at 3:25 PM, frankp01 said:

We had a British friend who disembarked the QM2 in NYC with us. He needed a test, I believe to fly home. I asked him where he got it, and this is the place. You can see that he had, at the time, a Rapid test. You might look into it.

What Rapid Antigen Test (Bloom Labs)
When Tuesday, January 4, 2022 2:40pm (5 minutes)
Where 34 W. 36th St, New York, NY

Just made appointments at Bloom for early June before the June 5th QM2 departure.  As a back up, we also may try to get tested at JFK when we arrive in NYC on June 3rd.  As a second back up we purchased Ellume home tests, which you can use with the Azova app as a video monitored test.  I am all for the extra precautions that Cunard is taking.  I fully support wearing masks on board, requiring everyone to be vaxed, maintaining social distances, etc.  I know that Cunard must abide by CDC regulations for ships sailing from US ports; however, I find this pre-cruise test requirement to be very stressful.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

I kinda assumed you'd need the test results to complete the health declaration. 

It's been since December when I did mine so my memory is not perfectly clear on it,  but I honestly don't think the declaration deals with the test at all. It's all yes and no questions:  Have you been near anyone who had COVID, do you have any symptoms, etc. Someone who has sailed more recently can confirm.

8 hours ago, lissie said:

This maybe too tight . Cunard says "All fully vaccinated guests will need to organise and purchase a private observed antigen test to be taken two days prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal."  Preparing to sail - At the terminal - Cunard cruises 

Where are you 2 days before - that's where you need to do the testing not last minute in NYC 

You also need to do the online health declaration "The declaration will be available to complete three days before sailing. You will have two days to complete this; the questionnaire will close the day before you board." - from My Cunard 

I kinda assumed you'd need the test results to complete the health declaration.  Others will confirm that as I haven't done one yet. 

Thanks Lissie,

This is a great help. I have been reading the Cunard info and trying to access their suggested providers with little luck as we have no contact info for USA.
2 days before we are on a train arriving in Denver. Our TA suggested we test at Denver airport on 4 June, the day before we embark. Unfortunately there are no test times before 1pm and our flight is at 1.40pm.

That may explain why we are so jittery about the testing. And as Thumbun says, it is very stressful.

I’m hoping in a few months we can laugh about all the trauma we had to go through just to get a “ferry” back home. 

9 hours ago, MJC said:

69.99 USD

Be sure you get the ones for travel. The also sell a rapid test that is not accepted. IIRC the text on the boxes differ.

Thank you. 
We thought we would need to do the rapid test because we don’t have the time to wait 48 hours for results.

Cunard is making things very difficult for travellers.

9 hours ago, MJC said:

I have looked into this but couldn’t get an emed account. Not being a US citizen I was not eligible.

On 5/7/2022 at 11:06 PM, RJChatsworth said:

We have a holiday booked, some way off, where we fly to New York independently and stay in Manhattan for a few days before boarding QM-2 at Red Hook to return to the UK.  Cunard requires us to have an observed lateral flow test two days before embarkation and lists a number of companies.  Looking at their web sites, one is not providing tests, we’ll have no transport and lots are drive-thro, I can’t find any within a reasonable distance of 57th Street and 6th Av, almost all require 2-4 days to provide a certificate which rules them out, some testing centres are not available to foreign nationals and most are only PCR tests and I saw charges of $350 per test.

What is Cunard doing - don’t they want any passengers or am I missing something?  They’ll be losing my wife and I at this rate!

My experience from the recent 1st May eastbound TA may help you.  Obviously requirements for Cunard are subject to change at short notice.  

I booked a Fit To Fly Antigen Test With Observation from Medicspot for £19.99.  With a coupon code I found by searching the internet this came down to £16.50.  

Cunard were happy with the test being performed any time in the previous 2 days, so for a Sunday departure I was ok to do it anytime on Friday.  If I recall, test appointments were available any time between 9am and 6pm UK time.

Test was done over zoom, both myself and my travelling companion were able to do the test on the same zoom session -  I did this on my iPad with no problem.  They told me the certificate could take up to 2 hours, but it arrived within 5 minutes.

Edited by Se1lad

On 5/7/2022 at 11:06 PM, RJChatsworth said:

Do you need test given that you don't need test to return home now. If you do then bloom labs as posted would be good. With regards to getting to the ship subway and water taxi might be cheaper than a cab from near 59th and lex.