A positive vote for CVP/PVPs.

JF - retired RRT

I had a TA I'd used previously with positive results. It's apparently a large company with lots of layers. I booked a cruise and didn't get a price reduction. When I questioned why, he said "with all the cancellations we're not doing that right now & would (maybe) give $$ back at the end of the cruise. So OK, the OBC was decent. Left the cruise in place.

Booked a 2nd cruise. There was a price drop of $214pp!! Sent the TA, the info & requested a match. Got an email from the revenue dept. with a drop in price of $67pp. Emailed back for an explanation.

While I waited for a response, I booked a different cabin in the same area for the lower price. And waited.

No response.

I had used a CVP in the past who was very helpful when I couldn't figure out how much I had in FCCs. I contacted him, explained the issue and told him I would be cancelling the cruises w/the TA. Could he grab my new booking and as soon as the old cabin in released put me back in it?

I wanted the old cabin, because this is a B2B & didn't want to move on turn around.

No problem. Done & done.

Never did get an answer about why they tried to short-change me.

The Princess CVPs don't usually give lower prices or OBC, but they sure are quick & helpful...IF YOU CAN FIND A GOOD ONE.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The Princess CVPs don't usually give lower prices or OBC, but they sure are quick & helpful...IF YOU CAN FIND A GOOD ONE.

I haven't found any good TAs that give me more than I can do myself online for the most part. (I read of people on CC who have found good ones--congratulations to them!)

I do have a CVP now and I have found her VERY responsive if I want to book a cruise. If I have an issue for her to deal with.....it takes MUCH longer for her to respond.....

☹️

1 hour ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I haven't found any good TAs that give me more than I can do myself online for the most part. (I read of people on CC who have found good ones--congratulations to them!)

I do have a CVP now and I have found her VERY responsive if I want to book a cruise. If I have an issue for her to deal with.....it takes MUCH longer for her to respond.....

☹️

Especially on long cruises, it's not worth the aggravation using a TA. I've had 3 that managed to screw up in some way and for long cruises we don't need the extra OBC and tiny amount of reduction in price.

6 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Especially on long cruises, it's not worth the aggravation using a TA. I've had 3 that managed to screw up in some way and for long cruises we don't need the extra OBC and tiny amount of reduction in price.

I would say the opposite in that a short cruise is less cost, less commissionable fare to discount.  Long voyages cost more and attract greater savings.

Example:  A $100/day Caribbean cruise has only $75 in commissionable fare to discount.  Longer voyages in Europe and so forth, cost more per day and the total voyage costs more, so more savings as discount is the same % figure (at least for me it is).  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I would say the opposite in that a short cruise is less cost, less commissionable fare to discount.  Long voyages cost more and attract greater savings.

Example:  A $100/day Caribbean cruise has only $75 in commissionable fare to discount.  Longer voyages in Europe and so forth, cost more per day and the total voyage costs more, so more savings as discount is the same % figure (at least for me it is).  

The TAs I've been able to find are apparently not sharing that "extra" with me. I've been getting essentially the same price reduction & OBC for short/long, inside/suite.

I've stopped using 3 TAs just since the restart for poor service and lousy enhancement to my bookings.

16 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

☹️

This has been our experience too.....do not believe in the myth of the "Great TA!!"  Everything is already out there and there are no secrets with all the travel information people have available to them.  We have two friends who are TA's and they can never beat the final deals we get for ourselves be it cruising, hotels, air fare or rental cars.

I have had 2 CVPs with Princess.  Both have been really great in communicating and resolving any issues.  The first one retired and now I have Kevin.  He has been very responsive and able to help me get the information I need to have great cruises.

15 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

To each there own. I however, would not call $580 off a tiny amount on our most recent Princess booking. Comes out to 9.2% less than the Princess present online price. Yes, it requires some effort, but some of us are retired and have lots of time to dig for deals. It is a game that is fun to play.

48 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

To each there own. I however, would not call $580 off a tiny amount on our most recent Princess booking. Comes out to 9.2% less than the Princess present online price. Yes, it requires some effort, but some of us are retired and have lots of time to dig for deals. It is a game that is fun to play.

I also enjoy 'playing the game' - not retired, but ...

Has your TA refused, or not been able to refare a price drop, even after final payment?  I fully understand, believe me, about promotion changes, perks, and "new bookings only"

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I also enjoy 'playing the game' - not retired, but ...

Has your TA refused, or not been able to refare a price drop, even after final payment?  I fully understand, believe me, about promotion changes, perks, and "new bookings only"

I keep checking on a regular basis. On the rare occasion that the Princess online price drops below the TA deal, I have been able to refare before final payment. Sometimes I can get a discount below that fare as well or at least keep the extra TA issued OBC intact. Never have I paid more than I would have by booking direct.

• Thanks 1