shipping luggage

Ubu

I am thinking of shipping my luggage home from a cruise and wondering if Holland recommends anyone.  I am trying to make my trip home easy as I now have to get a covid test at the Vancouver airport.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, Ubu said:

I am thinking of shipping my luggage home from a cruise and wondering if Holland recommends anyone.  I am trying to make my trip home easy as I now have to get a covid test at the Vancouver airport.  Thank you.

There are many companies that will ship from home TO the ship - hard to find companies that will pick up from the ship to home.   HAL offers it on the GWV - maybe others.   Try calling Ship Services - they may have more insight.   Phone: 1–800–541–1576

I believe HAL still uses Luggage Forward.  It's a lot easier to do it when the bag doesn't cross international borders but it's usually possible.  You are best to make reservations in advance and they send you a shipping label to attach to the bag and leave it with them generally just past customs.  I just did a test booking and a "Standard bag" (about the largest you can check on a plane) looks like about $269 from Vancouver while it's about half that from Seattle.  I sometimes book on  line but tend to prefer doing it by phone and get their suggestions.

https://www.luggageforward.com/

Their phone number is at the bottom of their home page.

Roy

• Like 1

Or, you might consider a regular shipper, such as UPS or FedEx. In a recent comparison I did between a "Ship luggage for travelers" company and UPS, for a similar size/weight between the same locations, it was ~$260 versus ~$60 (YMMV). You would probably want to box up the luggage if you send it via a regular shipper, so figure in how much extra hassle might be involved...

48 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I believe HAL still uses Luggage Forward.  It's a lot easier to do it when the bag doesn't cross international borders but it's usually possible.  You are best to make reservations in advance and they send you a shipping label to attach to the bag and leave it with them generally just past customs.  I just did a test booking and a "Standard bag" (about the largest you can check on a plane) looks like about $269 from Vancouver while it's about half that from Seattle.  I sometimes book on  line but tend to prefer doing it by phone and get their suggestions.

https://www.luggageforward.com/

Their phone number is at the bottom of their home page.

Roy

Good info....I played around with the options - If you select Vancouver (but not from a cruise) the prices is $194 - then I guess they will pick up from a hotel etc....But once you say - Pick up from a cruise - price jumps to $279 (to go to San Diego)

13 hours ago, eggemon said:

Or, you might consider a regular shipper, such as UPS or FedEx. In a recent comparison I did between a "Ship luggage for travelers" company and UPS, for a similar size/weight between the same locations, it was ~$260 versus ~$60 (YMMV). You would probably want to box up the luggage if you send it via a regular shipper, so figure in how much extra hassle might be involved...

I've shipped suitcases with Fedex -- no need to box. Just FYI. It can be cheaper to ship to the pre-cruise hotel than to use Luggage Direct. But I don't have experience shipping home when it's international.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 11:10 AM, Ubu said:

Cheaper flying out of Seattle. HAL usually offers bus transfers from VC to Seattle and you go through customs at the border on the bus. Luggage put on the bust in VC and you take it off in Seattle!!